Attention parents

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I said 'Shiver me timbers' to my children the other day.

Not because it was Talk Like a Pirate Day, but just another desperate attempt not to swear in front of my children (my nearly 3 year old has turned into a parrot).

You're all writers, thus intelligent and well-equipped to help me here.
Got any better suggestions?

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I strive to use phrases like that. "Hammer of Thor" is one of my favourites. I'm definitely going to be using "shiver me timbers" from now on as much as possible.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My personal favorite is Cheese and Crackers.

As in, "Cheese and crackers, can't you guys keep it down?"

Jiminy Crickets is another good substitute. I say Holy Cremoligans, too.

One I have to stop is, "What the...?" Because the kids are saying it now. I had to cut out swearing when, at an IHOP one morning, my precious daughter (who was four at the time) said, very loudly, "What the hell was that?" lol.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I use Froot Loops instead of my favorite word in environments where I can't use my favorite word. (Though my students would be infinitely amused if I did use the f-word. =)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a conscious attempt to substitute "frack" for the other f-bomb. It doesn't always work.

I also seem to have picked up my (British) MC's favorite epithet - "Oh bugger..." Yeah, I know that one's naughty, but here in the States, most people have no idea what it means.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother always used "my foot" rather than "my ass". Of course, either one is weird, but then, most swearing is.

"You finished all your homework my foot."

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Um... I would not win mom of the year, since my 3 1/2 year old's favorite saying is "Holy Crap!"

I end up saying "Jeezaloo" a lot (which I got from Peter Boyle on Everybody Loves Raymond - though that's also where I got the "holy Crap" that my son adores. :D)

Cheese and rice is a favorite

Holy Shnikes (Chris Farley, RIP)

And "my eye" in addition to "my foot"

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Whenever my mom would hit her thumb or something, she'd say, "Aw, sht!" That's right, she'd leave out the "i". Dunno how she did it. It came out sounding like a snake with a speech impediment.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I used the old standard substitutions until my kids thought it was all right to mimic their father. It was cute only to me when my five year old yelled, "Dang it! What the freaking heck are you doing with that freaking ax, Eugene?"

From then on, I just used the real words and taught them not to curse in public. It worked, too, and they very rarely swore at all while growing up.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My mother cursed us out in different languages when we were kids. Italian is a good one.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, alternative swear words?

My mother used to say "Garl Darn Dang Blasted!"

It sounded pretty bad to us kids.

Sometimes she said, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" That just sounded like religious talk, so I think we tuned it out.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I like 'dagnabbit!' but rarely have a chance to use it.

Sadly, I've said 'bugger' around my kids a bit too much, but he hasn't said it in a while now. Hopefully he's forgotten that word.

I also say 'feck' a lot, but that may be just a bit too much Father Ted :D

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I said "feck" for months after watching Father Ted.

"What do you say to a cup, Father?"

"Feck off, cup!"

When I'm really angry, I tend to yell things like bugger and bullocks a lot. Sometimes I'll go on a short tirade and yell something like "f*ck, sh*t, c*ck, wank" or something thereabouts. That's usually only when I really hurt myself. Luckily, I have no kids yet. :D

(Why am I responding to this thread again?)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my brother was little (about 3, 50 plus years ago)) our next door neighbor's (genteel lady of southern upbringing) favorite phrase was 'oh, s**t'. Until she heard him repeat it. Then she cleaned up her act.

MM

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use all of the above, along with "fudge" and "fudgesicles". And not just around my kids. I yelled that out when I was in labor with my first and they had to use forceps to get him out, and it hurt like...well, it hurt.

Everyone cracked up, and the doctor told me I was allowed to swear, lol.

A couple favorites of mine are "God Bless America!" and "Cheese and crackers got all muddy!"

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Maybe I should use this as an argument to get my tubes tied: "Doc, I need you to do it. I swear too fucking much to raise kids." "Oh, well, when you put it like that..."

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My mother cursed us out in different languages when we were kids. Italian is a good one.

Just learn a few phrases in Russian. You don't even have to curse...it'll just SOUND like you are.

In fact, that makes me want to go brush up on my Russian, just so I can tell someone to have a nice day and make it sound like I'm cursing their small household appliances...

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
As an Aussie, I've used things like stone the crows and stop being a galah/drongo/dipstick etc. And I've used fudge bucket and the German equivalent of shit head, and a plethora of made-up words, but since all my kids (sprog and sprogletts) are teenagers now, I let the odd swear word slip out daily. It's either that, or kill them. :Hug2:

All kidding aside, daughter (16) told me off yesterday for the f word, saying her mother doesn't allow swearing. :flag: I guess I've taught her well? (I do lift the middle finger to her, but won't allow her to do it back. The youngest daughter has done so, though, in front of and in spite of her sister--all in jest. Yes, I'm a baaaaaad mum. But I do have a lot of fun with my kids.)