PDA

View Full Version : Google Ad Filter/Please direct to the correct party

indiriverflow
03-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi, I spent a few minutes looking around for a feedback subforum, but I could not locate it.

I just wanted to draw attention to the highly irrelevant banner ads displaying since the downtime this AM.

I have seen several dating sites, bottled water (since it is the Water Cooler), and Tate Publications all displayed. Right now a PSA ad is running. Usually the top banner is Amazon, so I assume some script needs to be reset.

Just wanted to get this taken care of, as it is somewhat annoying and surely affecting the Adsense revenue.

Thanks!

ETA: Right now Papa John's Pizza is advertising to us here. Now it's a health issue!
8:50pm Just saw a an ad on here leading to this site: wlchildrensagency dot com.
Now that is offensive.

Matera the Mad
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
What you need is good and subtle ad blocking. I don't see any of that unless I have to turn off my no-ads proxy (http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/) temporarily ;)

MacAllister
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi, Indiriverflow -

Does that mean you'd like me to forward the bills for this place, our hosting costs, bandwidth, license fees, and my legal bills for every time someone named on the bewares board files a frivolous suit straight to you, then? Cuz that would be AWESOME, and as soon as you send the address you want those bills to come to, I'll take those ugly and "highly irrelevant" Google ads right back down...

The Amazon ad I was running because I think the Google ads are ugly simply didn't generate any revenue at all, so I put the Google ad back on the top. You've clearly not been around long enough to realize that's hardly unusual.

Any member can certainly complain, I guess, but frankly it's in pretty poor taste.

Hi, I spent a few minutes looking around for a feedback subforum, but I could not locate it.

I just wanted to draw attention to the highly irrelevant banner ads displaying since the downtime this AM.

I have seen several dating sites, bottled water (since it is the Water Cooler), and Tate Publications all displayed. Right now a PSA ad is running. Usually the top banner is Amazon, so I assume some script needs to be reset.

Just wanted to get this taken care of, as it is somewhat annoying and surely affecting the Adsense revenue.

Thanks!

ETA: Right now Papa John's Pizza is advertising to us here. Now it's a health issue!
8:50pm Just saw a an ad on here leading to this site: wlchildrensagency dot com.
Now that is offensive.

indiriverflow
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi, Indiriverflow -

Does that mean you'd like me to forward the bills for this place, our hosting costs, bandwidth, license fees, and my legal bills for every time someone on the bewares board files a frivolous suit straight to you, then? Cuz that would be AWESOME, and as soon as you send the address you want those bills to come to, I'll take those ugly and "irrelevant" Google ads right back down...

The Amazon ad I was running because I think the Google ads are ugly simply didn't generate any revenue at all, so I put the Google ad back on the top. You've clearly not been around long enough to realize that's hardly unusual.

Any member can certainly complain, I guess, but frankly it's in pretty poor taste.

Sorry, Mac...I was trying to be of help. I noticed that the wrong ads are being displayed, and thought you'd want to know.

You're not getting paid for some of those PSA's showing. The irrelevant ones draw down the quality score and the revenue per click.

Content network has options to block certain ads. Improving the click rate will increase revenue, I thought that you'd want to know.

Not trying to complain, it doesn't matter that much to me. But the ads are not going to do very well like this.

I'll refrain from trying to be helpful in the future.

MacAllister
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Here's the thing. The amazon ads made zero in the last three months.

Zero.

The Google ads at least make something -- spammy as they can be. The filters for content are set pretty wide - which is why Papa Johns and Walgrens both come up, because I block over a hundred writer-scam URLs, which would be all that displayed otherwise. I have them set to go to PSAs if there's nothing available to display by page topic...

You certainly don't have to refrain from being helpful. You might, however, refrain from leaping to the conclusion that I'm either stupid or incompetent.

indiriverflow
03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Here's the thing. The amazon ads made zero in the last three months. The Google ads at least make something -- spammy as they can be. I have them set to go to PSAs if there's nothing available to display by page topic...

You certainly don't have to refrain from being helpful. You might, however, refrain from leaping to the conclusion that I'm either stupid or incompetent.

I merely thought you were busy.

This thread can certainly be locked or deleted, as the purpose has been served.

MacAllister
03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I merely thought you were busy.

This thread can certainly be locked or deleted, as the purpose has been served.
Busy or not, you're more than welcome to PM me with future criticisms. I'm likely to be just as tart in PM, though.

I'm not any more crazy about the Google ads at the top of the forums than you or anyone else is. Which, honestly, is part of why I'm already so grumpy.

Pax?

indiriverflow
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Of course. I want nothing but the best for you and this forum. From the heart. It's becoming important to me.

MacAllister
03-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Don't mind me. I'm just cranky as hell as a general state of being, and I hate the Google ads, too. :) Sorry I snapped.

Unique
03-20-2009, 02:57 PM
The dating ads?

My fault. They followed me back home.

Sorry.
:Shrug:

petec
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
I thought this (http://www.muslima.com/?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=English+France+Content+Flash+Ads+Muslim+Chat&ovcrn=flash&ovtac=PPC&gclid=CKbXj7yusZkCFUEt3godLhpQ7A)one was fun. It is at the top of my page

Matera the Mad
03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
A pity I miss them all. But I do pay up.

Beach Bunny
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi, Indiriverflow -

Does that mean you'd like me to forward the bills for this place, our hosting costs, bandwidth, license fees, and my legal bills for every time someone named on the bewares board files a frivolous suit straight to you, then? Cuz that would be AWESOME, and as soon as you send the address you want those bills to come to, I'll take those ugly and "highly irrelevant" Google ads right back down...

I got to thinking about this and even though I haven't had the need for the Bewares and Backgrounds check part of AW this is such a valuable service to writers that I sat down and wrote AW a check. It's in the mail. You should have it by Friday depending on how fast it takes to get from Florida to Washington. :)

tjwriter
03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
That damn Papa John's ad makes me hungry. That is all.

BlueLucario
03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Just ignore them. AW needs these ads to keep the site up.

On the bright side, they didn't advertised Male enhancement pills. (What exactly is it does it enhance?)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
For the love of all that's holy... lock thread.

Matera the Mad
03-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Send $, install ad blocker, be at peace.

Rolling Thunder
03-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I accept only cash. Sorry.

Williebee
03-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Money already sent. Ad blocker not needed. Selective hearing and selective vision skills were acquired long ago, sometime after I became a parent.

:)

BlueLucario
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
It was just now I noticed these ads. Weird huh?

indiriverflow
03-23-2009, 01:55 AM
I just wanted to say, the ads have definitely improved, not perfect yet but much better. Thanks to Mac for blocking out the really awful ones, and I hope the quality score and revenue improve with these changes. That was the purpose of my initial comments.

I'm also still working on my project for you...only nibbles so far, but I'll let you know when something gels.

StephanieWeippert
03-26-2009, 03:00 AM
On the bright side, they didn't advertised Male enhancement pills. (What exactly is it does it enhance?)

I promise you, you are much better off NOT knowing. :D

dclary
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Busy or not, you're more than welcome to PM me with future criticisms. I'm likely to be just as tart in PM, though.

I'm not any more crazy about the Google ads at the top of the forums than you or anyone else is. Which, honestly, is part of why I'm already so grumpy.

Pax?

Correct me if I'm wrong... Did Mac just call herself a tart?

^_^

Williebee
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Did Mac just call herself a tart?

No, she said she WAS tart. You know, tasty, tangy... um.... nevermind.

inkkognito
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I like the Google ads much better. I actually clicked through Papa Johns to see if we have one around here. The Amazon one was awful...if I tried to click any of the threads on my 3G phone, the ad somehow had itself "hot" on the whole page and it would take me there instead unless I used my little trakball thingy.

CACTUSWENDY
03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
But she is Queen of the Tarts. (And the one that runs this place....) Wait....never mind....you said she was just being tarty, not a tart. Sigh. Carry on..........

Beach Bunny
04-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Stupid question about the google ads: If I right click on the ad to open it in a new window, does it count as a click for revenue purposes?

Don't roll your eyes at me, I said it was a stupid question.