DISNEY movies all the same.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What is old is new again...

But to be honest, some of those films (the Mouse Detective, Aristocats, etc.) were made during the dark ages of Disney (pretty much from late 60s to late 80s). With the exception of Beauty and the Beast that was an obvious tribute to Sleeping Beauty.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's called code reuse and is highly touted in programming circles. ;)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Reuse, repurpose, recycle.

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I always loved Disney's Robin Hood for the simple fact they did use the same 'characters' I had seen elsewhere. I always thought that was the point. I'd pick them all out, "oh look, it's so-and-so from that movie" so it became a game.

Gopher from Winnie the Pooh and Beaver in Lady and the Tramp?

Or the dog models that got used over again from Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians. Maybe I'm just partial to it, but again, I always thought it was fun as a kid.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome.

As maestro pointed out, there was a dark age of Disney. It's one of the reasons a group of animators followed when Don Bluth left Disney to form his own animation studio.

I do, however, suspect that the Beauty and the Beast scene was more of a homage than an effort to recycle.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Robin Hood is kind of fun, and the Jungle Book is a classic.

Black Cauldron? By far the worst -- it didn't even look like a Disney film, more like a Saturday morning cartoon from some no name studio.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Maid Marian was the first Furry I ever loved.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
<thump>
<thump>
<thump>
<thump>
<thump>
<thump>

Disney! Why don't you remake The Black Cauldron into a movie that's actually GOOD and FAITHFUL to those books!

Seriously! Lloyd Alexander was awesome! I remember those zombies that were impossible to kill. They were very evil and awesome.

The ending of the series made me cry.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Someone just let me know when Lion King is out of the Disney vault again, yeah?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
My kid is gonna shake things up at Disney when she graduates. She's getting 100% for character development. Go Beth!

We chatted with a manager at the local Disney Store, and he said a former employee is at Disney, drawing the main character of a new movie based on The Frog Prince, except it's a Cajun princess and it's based in Louisiana.

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
princessandthefrogconcept12.jpg

Summary from Wikipedia...

The film, which began production under the working title The Frog Princess, will be an American fairy tale, Broadway-style musical set in the French Quarter of New Orleans. A prince named Naveen from the land of Maldonia [5], is transformed into a frog by the evil scheming voodoo magician Dr. Facilier. The frog prince asks a waitress named Tiana to break the spell by kissing him...

...The film is set to be released on December 11, 2009.
Sounds like a cute idea overall. I for one am happy they are doing some classic animation again. Computer animation is fun and all, but I really missed the traditional method.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
<thump>

Disney! Why don't you remake The Black Cauldron into a movie that's actually GOOD and FAITHFUL to those books!

Because Disney still probably wouldn't make a cartoon film that dark. Even after stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone just let me know when Lion King is out of the Disney vault again, yeah?

tehe. I admit that a) I am a Disney addict and b) over about two years, I tracked down two copies each of the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast JUST in case one ever got damaged. I do have a collection of Disney DVDs (some of them rare), but those are the films I have doubles of. I'll probably get a double of Little Mermaid if I ever see it available used.

And I can't wait for The Frog Princess. It's more in line with the Disney I grew up with. It also looks the animation has Little Mermaid's overall style. Tiana looks like an interesting protagonist too.

Last edited:

lovesaphira

'Here's my card'
Registered
Reaction score
well with Beauty and the Beast they purposely used the dance scene at the end from Sleeping Beauty coz they ran out of time to make a different one. :D

SAhodges

Registered
Reaction score
That was really interesting. No wonder I like them all . They're all the same thing. ;)