From out of the black hole

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard someone calling from the bottom of a well, maybe about forty foot down? Would the voice ring, echo or what? How easily heard would it be to hear it at ground level, maybe a few feet from the hole?

Thanks to anyone who could help.
Keyboard

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's very dependent upon terrain. Soft dirt and woods while the tree frogs are awake may make it difficult if the person even comes within 20 feet of the hole. Also it makes a difference if the rescuer is searching/ listening when the victim is yelling.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Those outside the hole know someone's in it. The hole's in a clearing. No frogs.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you'd have to have a very good set of lungs, and the rescuers would have to be very close (within a few feet) to the hole. 40 feet is a long way down. The dirt sides would absorb a lot of the sound rather than channel it.
If the well had steel sides, the walls would channel the sound and amplify it. It may help the situation, butthe rescuers would still have to be close.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The way holes, caves, wells, and such absorb sound is one of the reasons hikers carry whistles. If you need your character to be found, give him/her one in some plausible way. If you need him/her to die down there, make it hot and provide no source of water. The throat will become hoarse pretty quickly if they keep yelling.

Maryn, occasional hiker

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, GeorgeK, RJK and Maryn. This helps.

Any more thoughts, anyone?

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Define "A few feet from the hole" - three feet? Yeah, no problem. I mean, you're standing three feet from a hole that someone fell down into, and you can obviously SEE the hole - so yeah, you could probably hear them.

Ten feet? Maybe not. Much will depend on the size, shape, texture and composition of the walls of the hole. The hole is essentially a 'megaphone' focussing the sound STRAIGHT UP out of the hole. Depending on the diameter of the hole, and what the walls are made of, you might get a 'cardioid' shaped sound pattern just out of the entrance, or you might not.

Hard, stone like walls would tend to create an echo, possibly even reinforcing it - soft, turf like walls would absorb the sound - muffling it.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Define "A few feet from the hole" - three feet? Yeah, no problem. I mean, you're standing three feet from a hole that someone fell down into, and you can obviously SEE the hole - so yeah, you could probably hear them.

Not really...Of course it depends upon terrain, in Kentucky the ferns in the spring and the poison ivy in the summer an fall would hide the opening unless you are right on top of it.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Define "A few feet from the hole" - three feet?
Yeah, no problem. I mean, you're standing three feet from a hole that someone fell down into, and you can obviously SEE the hole - so yeah, you could probably hear them.

Ten feet? Maybe not. Much will depend on the size, shape, texture and composition of the walls of the hole. The hole is essentially a 'megaphone' focussing the sound STRAIGHT UP out of the hole. Depending on the diameter of the hole, and what the walls are made of, you might get a 'cardioid' shaped sound pattern just out of the entrance, or you might not.

Hard, stone like walls would tend to create an echo, possibly even reinforcing it - soft, turf like walls would absorb the sound - muffling it.

Probably more like fifteen feet, maybe twenty. Someone is standing right over the well hole talking with the one in it. What I'm wondering is if the voice would travel fifteen or so feet away, or would the person at the top of the hole have to relay what is said?

These walls would have a lot of rock. And the hole itself is a hand dug well, pretty wide at the top but narrowing toward the bottom.

Thanks
Keyboard

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Okay, funnel shaped megaphone with stone walls... and what sort of top? I mean, is there a rim around the well... maybe four feet high - like a storybook picture of a well?

Basically, the stone walls and shape will act as a reinforcement - just like a megaphone does. But sound won't trave OUTWARD untill it passes the 'lip' of the well. And then, it might be cardioid (heart shapped) or more omni-directional (round shaped) in its pattern, depnding on EXACTLY the length of the well, and the diameter.

If the lip of the well is higher off the ground, then the patter of sound might not emerge untill higher in the air above it, and the farther away, the less likely a listener will be in the pattern.

If it were my scenario - based on what you've described - I'd say the person tweny feet away could 'hear' the echo, but not understand it - the person shouting down the well would hear it clearly. Make sense?