PDA

View Full Version : [medical] Incurability in the Future

indiriverflow
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Given the rapid advancements in medical science, many terminal illnesses of today will succumb to research in the next forty years.

Which syndromes, even in the most optimistic projections, are unlikely to be in that group? That is, which diagnoses will continue to be associated with a 100% terminal prognosis in 2050, even for a well-off patient able to pay for any available treatment?

The syndrome can be communicable or congenital, so long as it poses a timeline of 3-6 months for the patient. There's no need for it to be particularly rare, but I'm digging for something a little less cliche than cancer or HIV.

I'm also considering inventing a communicable disease for this purpose.

Thoughts?

cbenoi1
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I have Trisomy 13 - 18 in mind. Most newborns don't live past their first year and the longevity record holder was 15 or so. Many couples even opt for a clinical abortion once this condition is detected.

-cb

indiriverflow
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I have Trisomy 13 - 18 in mind. Most newborns don't live past their first year and the longevity record holder was 15 or so.

-cb

Sorry, I ought to have mentioned, the "patient" is middle-aged. 50's+ So far, I have her afflicted with a poorly defined brain condition putting her at high risk for aneurysm.

GeorgeK
03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
trauma, brain damage from stroke...even if they could regrow brains, the person would have to relearn how to do the things that that part of the brain did.

BillTrain
03-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Maybe Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm
It's kind of like Mad Cow Disease...usually fatal within a year, but it is very rare (1 in a million). It has been communicable in the past....transplanted corneas, contaminated surgical instruments, cadaveric human growth hormone.
BT

Dommo
03-27-2009, 06:00 AM
I think even strokes could be cured. The person might not be the same as they once were due to the changes in their brain, but I think that a human could regain full functionality again.

I was going to mention mad-cow disease, as it works in a different manner than most other forms of disorders and that it's rare enough that no money will really be spent towards dealing with it.

Barb D
03-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Rabies?

Palmfrond
03-27-2009, 09:07 AM
There are no guarantees about the time you have left. No matter what diagnosis you get, your mileage may vary. Anybody who says they have six months to live wasn't paying attention to what the doctor really said: it's all statistics. And it still will be forty years from now. I guarantee that you will die someday, but the only way I can be sure about the date is if I plan to off you myself.

That said, life itself is 100% fatal. Your MC will definitely die, even in 2050. He just doesn't know when.