Windows 2000 Problem

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I'm running Windows 2000 on Word XL and 5 days ago I typed a 3 paragraph letter, saved it to "MY FILEs" and printed it. The problem is--it won't go away. I've tried deleteing it, printing over it, copying to Word Pad, deleting from MY FILE. I've gone back on this thread from the present to 38 pages and have not found anyone with the same problem, but have tried some things that seemed related like making sure I havn't checked "read only." However, everytime I pull up the Word Desktop Icon there is the 3 paragraphs unchanged. I tried making changes to the document, but as soon as I save, it reverts back to the original three paragraphs. It seems the computer thinks the template connected to the desktop ICON is blank, so it doesn't matter if I pull it up off Desktop or go into Programs and pull up word that way, I still get a panel with the three paragraphs. I've been working on this for three days. I've about reached the conclusion that the best solution is a 12-pound sledgehammer. Any suggestions?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Safe Mode?

If so, reboot to safe mode and then try deleting the file. Then reboot back to normal.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com

Arkie

Registered
Reaction score
For Alley Cat and The Navigator: I want to acknowledge I have read your posts and trying some things. I'm not terribly sure what "safe mode" is and I'm not clear on how to search for "normal.dot." I did Double Click on My Computer and hit TOOLS, selected FOLDER OPTIONS, and clicked on the VIEW TAB, then Ticked the Button that says Hidden Files and Folders. I found the culprit in there alright; however, after deleting the problem still exists. I'll keep after it.

Arkie

Registered
Reaction score
Got it corrected. Here's how: I opened Word, went to TOOLS and clicked OPTIONS, then hit the FILE LOCATIONS tab. I had one file in there which was an office template, I deleted that and relaunched Word and VIOLA, I got a blank template. Thanks guys.