Novel Proposal

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I am a historical fiction writer whose debut novel has been acceped for publication by Avon Books. I have been using the time since then (6+ months) to develop the background materials for my second novel. The topic is somewhat timely and I'd like to maximize on the potential appeal. Is it worth sending a proposal (consisiting of an outline, short character biod and 3 sample chapters) to my agent?

Thank you!

Vanitha

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Absolutely. Once a major publisher has accepted a full manuscript on spec, they're more willing to buy another on proposal. Now would be the time to do it, while the editor is still excited about your current book and there haven't been any negatives to cast any shadows. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
It's also a good time to have your second book ready. My second came out in Australia a year after the first and the third will be the same by the way I'm writing, but I wish I'd made it closer between books. I find the second book sparks a greater demand for the first. People say they're more interested in buying a book if there is another by the same author, especially a sequel. So, go for it.