PDA

View Full Version : The Sci Fi channel is changing its name

mdin
03-17-2009, 11:34 PM
To the "SyFy (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/sci-fi-upfronts.html)" channel.

This is quite possibly the stupidest, most geek-enraging thing they could do. It's bad enough they show wrestling now.

I hope it's not because NBC wants to start unloading crappy reruns like Law and Order on the network. We'll see.

With BSG ending, I fear my favorite network is going to die.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Meh. I read the blog and I kinda understand the rationale behind it... but... meh. I want my Sci Fi channel - withOUT wrestling.

Thank you very much.

BenPanced
03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I guess they couldn't register "Sucktacular" or "Sucktastic".

Jcomp
03-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I agree with the article, if you're going to change the name at least go the distance. Does misspelling "Sci-fi" really help you give the company a brand?

Kitty Pryde
03-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm TOTALLY gonna cash in on this hip new trend by only writing syunce fyction from now on.

BenPanced
03-18-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree with the article, if you're going to change the name at least go the distance. Does misspelling "Sci-fi" really help you give the company a brand?
I guess they finally got tired of people calling it "skiffy".

Thump
03-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Syphee is better, eh?
I just love it when my TV makes me thing of venereal diseases...

WriteKnight
03-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I was actually IN the Sci Fi Channel's offices, back in November - pitching a concept. It was a very strange meeting, because they were all about 'we're looking for a more universal audience..." - And I was thinking at the time "But you are the frickin SCIENCE FICTION channel!!!!"

Go figure.

ChaosTitan
03-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm TOTALLY gonna cash in on this hip new trend by only writing syunce fyction from now on.

:roll:

ChaosTitan
03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
It was a very strange meeting, because they were all about 'we're looking for a more universal audience..." - And I was thinking at the time "But you are the frickin SCIENCE FICTION channel!!!!"

Did they not even see the irony in that statement???

WriteKnight
03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I told you it was a very weird meeting - even as pitch meetings go.

Atani
03-18-2009, 01:07 AM
What a stupid idea. Why would that make any difference?

And, duh, if anything they should be focusing on a narrower audience & show better sci fi movies, not trying to broaden their programming. Jeez, dumb marketing dept.

BenPanced
03-18-2009, 01:22 AM
HAH! I'll do you one better and start writing syunts fykshun! :e2tongue:

syunts fykshun
dubble feechur
doktur eks
wil bild a kreechur...

Kitty Pryde
03-18-2009, 01:23 AM
HAH! I'll do you one better and start writing syunts fykshun! :e2tongue:

*trumps Ben by vowing to only write synts fixin*

so there! :e2moon:

JS Emuakpor
03-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Well, I'm writing Saenz Figjin.

Beat that!

Kitty Pryde
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Soy Hunts Fic Shun

Sheryl Nantus
03-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Soy Hunts Fic Shun

Soy Hunts Green is peoples!

:D

dclary
03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
A) Stupidest thing in the world.

B) It's the reason why your cellphone company is called Cingular, instead of Singular, and why you search for stuff on the internet with Google, instead of Googol. ... You can't trademark an existing name. By "inventing" a name that sounds like a word people know, you have a trademarkable word that invokes the power of the homonymitical match.

So, considering that A is true and B is true, we can assume C is true as well:

C) Marketers are the stupidest people in the universe.

Gravity
03-18-2009, 02:15 AM
So where am I supposed go now to get my fix for badly made giant-mosquito movies?

mdin
03-18-2009, 02:22 AM
I just started getting the Chiller Channel, which shows Freddy's Nightmares practically 24/7. It'll have to move into first place.

Williebee
03-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Wait for the new line-up: Religion in the morning, Cooking in the afternoon, Wrestling/split/old SF in the evening, and infomercial overnight.

They can use "All the Stuff we Could Get for Cheap" as a slogan.

dragonjax
03-18-2009, 02:37 AM
The whole thing really pisses me off.

benbradley
03-18-2009, 02:50 AM
There's a Slashdot story on this as well:
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/16/1852223

Look in the supermarket cleaning supplies aisle and see how many of them are named after misspelled, common words.

I was actually IN the Sci Fi Channel's offices, back in November - pitching a concept. It was a very strange meeting, because they were all about 'we're looking for a more universal audience..." - And I was thinking at the time "But you are the frickin SCIENCE FICTION channel!!!!"

Go figure.

Did they not even see the irony in that statement???
I think instead of "universal" audience they meant "least common denominator" audience.

A) Stupidest thing in the world.

B) It's the reason why your cellphone company is called Cingular, instead of Singular, and why you search for stuff on the internet with Google, instead of Googol. ... You can't trademark an existing name. By "inventing" a name that sounds like a word people know, you have a trademarkable word that invokes the power of the homonymitical match.
IANAL, but it's true it's easier to defend a trademark of a uniquely spelled name. On the other hand there's Monster Cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable) which is infamous for "defending its name" against other companies which use the word monster but have no connection to what Monster Cable does.

So where am I supposed go now to get my fix for badly made giant-mosquito movies?
Are all those '50's "sci-fi" movies on DVD yet? I really enjoyed them on TV when they were shown for a short while in the '70's, and I kind of miss them. Sort of.

childeroland
03-18-2009, 02:59 AM
If their programming largely continues to suck, I'm not sure what difference it will make -- not like the name change will make all those cheap crap films they do any better.

And 'Syfy' didn't work for the Syfy Portal website.

Izunya
03-18-2009, 03:37 AM

Heh. My first reaction was, "Well, I guess Unbelievably Stupid Monster Channel is a bit of a mouthful." Although USM TV wouldn't be half bad.

Izunya

Jersey Chick
03-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Sci-Fi started sucking when they dropped The Twilight Zone reruns for Lost (sorry, not a Lost fan - I want my Twilight Zone back!) And once BSG is gone... I shudder to think... :D

dclary
03-18-2009, 04:11 AM

I know. This may just be the blow that causes the blue-screen job market to crash.

ChaosTitan
03-18-2009, 04:17 AM
I just started getting the Chiller Channel, which shows Freddy's Nightmares practically 24/7. It'll have to move into first place.

Ooooh, I want that channel!

dreamsofnever
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
To the "SyFy (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/sci-fi-upfronts.html)" channel.

This is quite possibly the stupidest, most geek-enraging thing they could do. It's bad enough they show wrestling now.

I hope it's not because NBC wants to start unloading crappy reruns like Law and Order on the network. We'll see.

With BSG ending, I fear my favorite network is going to die.

Wow...

This makes me glad I don't have cable.

But seriously? What. the. hell.

SciFi people.... Nice markets are GOOD! If we wanted a channel for whatever crap you decide fits the mainstream demographic, we'd watch network TV.

It's a shame because I always like watching SciFi channel shows once they come out on DVD.

BenPanced
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, I'm writing Saenz Figjin.

Beat that!

Soy Hunts Fic Shun

Soy Hunts Green is peoples!

PEAR PIMPLES FOR HAIRY FISHNUTS!

Dommo
03-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I wish the scifi channel would just return to being a pure science fiction network. Start putting more animated shows on there, since there's a metric ass ton of good animated science fiction, as well as more quality science fiction movies.

Prozyan
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I wish the scifi channel would just return to being a pure science fiction network. Start putting more animated shows on there, since there's a metric ass ton of good animated science fiction, as well as more quality science fiction movies.

But that would mean stopping "The Scariest Night on Television"! I mean, come on, that is obviously a ratings king for them!

Who isn't looking forward to "I Am Omega"? The lone survivor on Earth fights mutated creatures? Come on, we've never seen anything like that before, certainly not with the words "I Am" or "Omega" in the titles!

:rolleyes:

Calla Lily
03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
PEAR PIMPLES FOR HAIRY FISHNUTS!

But... But... How will the DH get his "bimbo in gray tank top" fix?

katiemac
03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
What a stupid idea. Why would that make any difference?

And, duh, if anything they should be focusing on a narrower audience & show better sci fi movies, not trying to broaden their programming. Jeez, dumb marketing dept.

As someone who was at Animal Planet when they rebranded last year, the new market brand and name is a big deal in moving forward. And with all the networks seeing low numbers, Sci-Fi wouldn't have a shot in hell in sticking around if they attempted to narrow the audience. It sucks that niche markets are getting the hit, but this is the survival of the network, not something they want to do just for kicks.

That being said, I think they chose a poor name to represent what they want to see in their future programming.

maxmordon
03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I said it before and I am saying it now:

THOSE BASTARDS AXED MST3K; AS FAR AS I CARE THEY CAN BUGGER OFF!!!

dclary
03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
As someone who was at Animal Planet when they rebranded last year, the new market brand and name is a big deal in moving forward. And with all the networks seeing low numbers, Sci-Fi wouldn't have a shot in hell in sticking around if they attempted to narrow the audience. It sucks that niche markets are getting the hit, but this is the survival of the network, not something they want to do just for kicks.

That being said, I think they chose a poor name to represent what they want to see in their future programming.

I don't know. It caters well to the "Hi, we're stupid and don't know how to spell because we text-speak" crowd.

AlanS2323
03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Whenever I'm flipping channels and see low budget special effects with goofy looking aliens or dragons, I know I'm watching the SciFi channel even before I confirm it.

Satori1977
03-18-2009, 10:51 PM
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. And I hear stupid on a daily basis. Then again, what should I expect from a science fiction network that has wrestling. Never quite understood that...

BenPanced
03-18-2009, 11:33 PM

Considering how MTV and VH1 have "branched out" from their original niches, I'd seriously hate to see what Food Network would do to "branch out" (X-treme Hoochie Mama Food Fight-a-Palooza?)

But... But... How will the DH get his "bimbo in gray tank top" fix?
Watch VH1?

ChunkyC
03-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I wish the scifi channel would just return to being a pure science fiction network.
Maybe if they'd stuck with that concept instead of branching out with crap like wrestling, they wouldn't have lost viewers in the first place and now have to come up with idiotic ideas to try and get them back.

And all networks should friggin' stop with the friggin' pop-up ads overlaid on the show after returning from the commercial break....

And make their figgin' watermark logos smaller and more watermark-ish so they don't cover a friggin' third of the screen....

And the friggin' crawls along the bottom of the news channels that cover up the text overlays in the actual story being reported, shouldn't the twerps putting the story together be aware that every news station on Earth has been using crawls for decades now and put their text somewhere friggin' else on the screen....

And ... where were we? ;)

maestrowork
03-19-2009, 12:20 AM
The rationale is sound (they want to brand the channel -- and it's true, you can't brand "The Sports Channel" so you get ESPN). But what they came up with is just stupid. SyFy? What? Is it see-fee? And it sounds so foo-foo.

I'm sad that BSG will be gone come Friday (except for reruns, of course) and I'm happy to have Lost reruns on it, but still, not sure about the future of it. More Stargate (my friend will be on it)? I Am Omega? Caprica (the BSG prequel -- good for the actors)?

Mythical Tiger
03-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Well, it is a wierd channel...... So I'm not surprised.

~Sam

WriteKnight
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
"Nobody knows anything..." Isn't that the saying?

Seriously, I was in LA pitching a show to several cable networks last November. Funny thing was, I got "Too niche" and "Too broad" in the same day. As well as "Too MACHO" and "Not testosterone driven"... it was enough to drive me to a third bourbon that evening.

And yes, eveyone of the cable networks was scrambling to 'redifine' themselves. The economy is hitting the audience, the audience is not buying sponsor's products, sponsors are pulling their adds, and networks are scrambling. As my producer said "It's safer for these guys (and gals) to say "No" then yes. They won't lose their jobs to a no, they might lose them to a 'yes'."

I'm in talks now about shooting a pilot, and nobody wants to greenlight the cash, but everyone wants to see it when its done.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

StephanieFox
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
They could call the Cooking Channel Fryin' Sections.

BenPanced
03-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Of course, it doesn't help when you have networks "selling" programming to each other, i.e. Family Guy on all of Turner's channels.

2old2pb
03-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Sounds totally fraked up to me.

dclary
03-19-2009, 02:06 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090318.jpg

C.M. Daniels
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Wow, just when I thought the SciFi Channel couldn't get any worse, it does!

Susan Gable
03-20-2009, 05:32 PM
TV ads are not so effective because of dvr technology.

I love DVR technology. But...yeah, it's not good news for advertisers.

Susan G.

ChunkyC
03-20-2009, 07:57 PM
TV ads are not so effective because of dvr technology.

I love DVR technology. But...yeah, it's not good news for advertisers.

Susan G.
Good point. But rather than be compelled to purchase by ads over top of the show, I get severely annoyed and look for different channels where that isn't happening ... yet.

As for syfy -- I wonder if the superheroes running the station have secret identities as AIG execs....