About the vote tonight

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
This is getting more intense for me every week. I'm going to walk in the Relay for Life with my Mom tonight. She's a cancer survivor, and my girls and I are going to do the survivor lap with her. It's something I won't miss, but she doesn't have a computer at her house! I'll have to get Sandra (our exchange student) to phone me with the results, but I won't be here to give any congrats until Sunday night. So, good luck to all and congrats in advance to those who continue on.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Have a great walk, DJP. It's happening June 24th here, and I have a friend who's hoping to be strong enough to walk the survivor lap.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Have a great walk, DJP. My mom's a 22 year survivor.
Thanks, 22 years WOW! That what we're hoping for! My Mom just finished her treatments last month.

Have a great walk, DJP. It's happening June 24th here, and I have a friend who's hoping to be strong enough to walk the survivor lap.
Thanks, good luck and my prayers to your friend.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
DJP said:
Thanks, 22 years WOW! That what we're hoping for! My Mom just finished her treatments last month.

And back then, they didn't do any chemo or radiation or anything. Her mother died at 52 of breast cancer (I was three or four then). Mammography found two tiny lumps, her nodes were clean and because of her mother's death, she decided to have both breasts removed and silicone put in. Eventually, the silicone deteriorated, she had saline in and out and in and out and now she's without (she just turned 66). At almost 43, I'm a year away from her age of diagnosis (I see a doc every 6 mos, mammo every year). Her father's sister, her daughter and the daughter's daughter all had it too but my mother tested negative for the gene so I just have to live my life.

But it is VERY VERY VERY survivable. I've had several friends in their 30s and 40s get it and live with little physical health effects and usually positive mental health effects.

I wish her great health from here on out.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you for participating in that, DJP. I hope you enjoy every moment of it.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Darla - You won't get this till after you return, but I hope you had a great (and powerful) time. My mother died in 1975 from a particularly virulent form of breast/ovarian cancer, and I just tested positive for the gene mutation, so... thank you (not that one needs any experience with cancer to thank you :))

skc

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
firehorse said:
I just tested positive for the gene mutation
What are your options now that you know?