Just a public service announcement for St. Pat's Day

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Please, everyone - if you're going to go out and celebrate, or know someone who is, make darn sure there's a designated driver. Please. On this day in 1985, I lost a friend to someone who didn't. He was on his way to work, and the woman who hit him head-on had been partying since the night before.

It wasn't pretty. Nobody should have to go to a friend's funeral at seventeen.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you lost your friend.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Pagey. I second that and hope everyone has a designated driver should they be reveling.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hardly ever drink. I'm glad that my friends take cabs when they do.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friend. My better half and I always rock the city bus on drinking-themed holidays :D That's 4,000 designated drivers, baby!

Reaction score
Please, everyone - if you're going to go out and celebrate, or know someone who is, make darn sure there's a designated driver. Please. On this day in 1985, I lost a friend to someone who didn't. He was on his way to work, and the woman who hit him head-on had been partying since the night before.

It wasn't pretty. Nobody should have to go to a friend's funeral at seventeen.

Amen.

It's never worth the risk.

And I'm sorry for your loss.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score

We did do one positive thing as a result, though. After much wrangling with the PTA, we were able to start a Students Against Drunk Driving chapter in his memory. So that was something.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I'm sorry to hear that Pagey's Girl.

When I was at high school, my SADD chapter arranged a deal with a local taxi company so students could get a card, that they could present to the taxi driver, who would then bill their parents for the ride home, so no one was stranded with no cash and tempted to drive drunk (drinking age here is 18).

It was a fantastic idea, and one I think every school should use. Don't know if it's still running. I used mine quite a few times and it's better to deal with the parents the morning after than live with something that terrible your whole life.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Pagey, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. :Hug2: I am an ardent supporter of the "don't drink and drive" cause. Out here where I live, a drunk driver recently killed 4 people in a car accident. It was very sad. They were very loved in their community and church. There's talk going on about doing something about repeat DUII offenders to prevent such tragedies.