SF or not SF? Not sure it fits anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I've finished a story I've been working on for a little while, mostly just because I wanted to pursue an idea and I liked the characters. It turned out to be better than I expected, though, and I'd like to market it. The problem is, while the basic premise depends on an SF idea (which, if taken out, would completely destroy the story), it's only a means to an end and the story is about the characters' relationship and not the idea.

Does this story have a market? I can't think of any SF magazines that would consider it, but I always get the impression that any story with any SF element in it at all is anathema to non-SF markets. Any suggestions would be fantastic, thanks!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
If the SF element is integral to the story, it sounds as if it is SF to me, regardless of what the story is really about.

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact nature of your story, but I searched writer's market and found the following SF magazines that accept stories:
ABSOLUTE MAGNITUDE

AMAZING JOURNEYS MAGAZINE

ANALOG SCIENCE FICTION & FACT

AOIFE'S KISS

APEX DIGEST

ARTEMIS MAGAZINE

ASIMOV'S SCIENCE FICTION

BEYOND CENTAURI

LEADING EDGE

THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION

NTH DEGREE

ON SPEC

STARSHIP EARTH

TALES OF THE TALISMAN

ZAHIR

sjanssens

Check out Ralan.com

Most science fiction is character driven. This isn't a new development. Sixty years ago famed sf editor John Campbell approached L. Ron Hubbard about writing some sf for him. Hubbard said he didn't write about ray guns he wrote about people. Campbell replied that's exactly what he was looking for.

sjanssens

In addition to the markets Lauram listed there are some excellent web sites that publish fiction.

SciFiction.com
StrangeHorizons.com
Ideomancer.com

And a bunch more I can't think off the top of my head. They'll be listed at Ralan though.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like Speculative Fiction.

Spec Fic is rapidly replacing the term sf/f/h/hist etc because the lines are becoming increasingly blurred everyday.

Basically it covers anything that is not fully grounded in today's reality. In other words, it's fiction that is speculative :)

sjanssens

brokenfingers said:
Spec Fic is rapidly replacing the term sf/f/h/hist etc because the lines are becoming increasingly blurred everyday.

Heinlein coined the term back in the 40s or 50s because he hated the term science fiction.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to jump in here since broken fingers brought up speculative fiction. This goes for any market, not just short stories, but is it okay to submit speculative fiction to agents and publishers who are strictly non-sci/fi, non-fantasy?

I don't have any elements of standard fantasy or science fiction (advanced science, mythical creatures, elves, aliens, kings), but my work does exist in an unreal world (all human characters) undergoing an industrial revolution. So both fantasical and scientific elements are at play, and their themes help fuel the story, but social stratification is more important.

I think I'll look into the term a little more. I certainly don't want to piss off any agents or pubs by submitting something they don't have time for.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Cross-posted with sjanssens.

Looks like spec. fiction is just an all-encompassing term for science fiction and fantasy, horror and alternative fiction genres, and not a different gerne, so I guess I'll still take those pubs off my list just to be safe.

luke_e_richards

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar question. I hope this doesn't appear off topic. It isn't intended to.

What about fiction which inhabits a world in which myths and legends are real? Is it strictly fantasy if, for instance, all the magic is based on Saxon legends, and all the creatures are based on Celtic legends? Tolkien and Robert E. Howard (Conan, The Hyborian Age) spring to mind. In the past it was considered pure fantasy, but all the elements of the fantasy world were drawn from real history and mythos. Where does that stuff fit in now? I'm a newbie.

p.s. Not saying Tolkien and Howard only drew from Celtic and Saxon mythology. It was just a random example, though the statement is almost true of Tolkien, if a tiny bit of Nordic legendry is added for spice. Almost.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I appreciate the suggestions!

I'm also intrigued, now that I think about it, about what really constitutes science fiction/fantasy. I mostly write fantasy, and lately I've been writing much more SF. I like both genres and feel I'm pretty familiar with them. But then I've got this story I've written, and my gut reaction is that it isn't really SF--but then again, as Birol said above, if the science is integral to the story, it's SF.

The story involves two characters that meet as a result of one of them experimenting with time travel--which sounds cheesy, but it really is only a vehicle for the characters' meeting, then separating and meeting again after the time traveler has actually lived through the intervening years (and this has probably been done before, but I've never read a story quite like it). Time travel is a tricky thing to pull off, I know, but I just wanted to explore the "what if" possibilities for my characters. The reason I don't feel the story is SF is that I don't even try and explain how the time travel was done and I don't address any other issues that would crop up as a result of time travel being possible. I suppose it's a sloppy story as a result (certainly sloppy if it's considered SF), but all that seemed outside of what I wanted to say. Anyway, I'm writing way too much about it here, sorry. :) I get talky when I'm tired!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Saanen, did you read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger? The main vehicle for the character's meeting is time travel, much like you said how your book worked. It is first and foremost a love story, and I don't think I ever heard anyone describe it as science fiction. The means of time travel isn't by machine, though, but rather some kind of genetic defect, so perhaps that has something to do with it. It's shelved with regular fiction novels, not science fiction. I can't say I enjoyed the book thoroughly, it has it's own problems, but for the most part it was a good read - interesting concept - and might be something which you find helpful. It's in paperback now, so you wouldn't have to spend a fortune on hardcover.

Last edited:

write4details

Banned
Reaction score
Most science fiction is character driven.

Actually, probably the LEAST character-driven form of fiction extant. (Mr. Scientology is the ancestor or sci-fi character????????????)

Thing is, sci-fi has fallen upon rather slim times. If you look through some of the magazines you are going to see a lot of stories with very slim attachment to sci-fi. I've seen stuff about science teachers, set like a week in the future. (Obviously science teachers are prime demographic for SF mags)

So...give it a shot. If 5 editors tell you it ain't SF, they are probably right. Change the science to witchcraft and try the fantasy mags. (Just kidding about that part).

If it's possible to play up to the sci-fi elements (set it in an obvious future, extraterrestrial or parallel universe) it might help.

write4details

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, ALL fiction is speculative.

The blend of sci-fi and fantasy elements is a rich place to explore, I would say. Note how a couple of little devices turned the high-tech world of Dune into a swordplay epic.
Obviously, Star Wars pulled the same trick.
A spaceship slapping down into one of those legend lands would be fun.

Actually, part of what Conan and a lot of those type books worked on was the balance between wizardry and the brute reality of sinew and steel. It could just as easily be a confrontation between magic and technology. Can a spell block a ray gun?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
write4details said:
It could just as easily be a confrontation between magic and technology. Can a spell block a ray gun?

I used to work in a used book store and one of the sections I shelved was fantasy. I have seen books that introduced technology into a magical realm, but I don't think any of them were very successful. They all ran along the lines of: fantasy world is visited by humans from the future/a parallel world, who act in a superior manner and wreak havoc socially until a small band of misfits shows the intruders the strengths of the so-called primitive magical culture. I was always disappointed with this plot because it seemed so predictable but it held such promise in the hands of someone who really wanted to explore the idea.

I don't immediately recall anything I've read that has the opposite introduction--a spellcaster coming to a technological world--but I'm absolutely sure it exists. Hmm. Now in addition to The Time Traveller's Wife (which sounds really good, thanks katiemac!), I'll have to go digging around in the library looking for SF/fantasy crossover stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.