"No pinching rule" on St. Patrick's Day

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
My daughter told me something pretty interesting today. Her school is banning the practice of pinching anyone who doesn't wear green on St. Patrick's Day. Apparently, any child who breaks the no-pinching rule will automatically receive a Level 3 reminder note sent home (which is the same as sending a third reminder of a child's bad behavior).

And here I was, freaking out over trying to find her something GREEN to wear for tomorrow. I was ready to cover her with it! I can tell you horror stories of how kids have ambushed me when they thought I wasn't wearing green (when I actually WAS, of course). Or when something "wasn't green enough" and family members would start pinching me like crazy. (Yeah, I'm really wuvved. LOL)

I was kind of relieved because of those very same bad experiences I had on St. Patrick's Day in elementary school. (The teachers took their sweet time in getting the kids to stop pinching me and one episode even had me on the floor in tears because they pinched so hard.) So you could imagine my relief.

But on the other hand, I think it's kind of unusual. There used to be some fun in the whole pinching thing. I wonder if other schools have taken the same type of action.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I never got the pinching business. I don't care if I'm wearing green, I'm drinking green beer, aren't I?

Now the 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish' buttons, yeah, that part's fun, too.

Annayna

Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I dont know... I dont celebrate many holidays only because they depress me..

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
How can getting completely shillelaghed on St. Patrick's Day be depressing?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of pinching people for not wearing green. Do black and blue make green where the pinch marks bruise?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Leave it to Joe find a 'real' reason for having a drink.....lol

May the luck of the Irish go with ya'.

(Always wondered what kind of luck they did have........)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One year in high school I wore a green and orange skirt on St. Patrick's Day.

My mother said, "Green and orange! You're not going to wear that, are you?"

I didn't understand the significance, so I wore it anyway.

But I don't think anyone did any pinching back then.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pinching is the practice at my 12-year-old's school. Apparently, middle schoolers will use any excuse they can think of to get their paws on each other.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of the pinching thing before. I'm very glad that it wasn't standard when I was growing up, else I would've been hauled off to the principal's office at least once for nailing the kid that pinched me. Of course, I hit hard enough that I doubt there would be any repeat pinching.

When I was coming up was that you wore green (or orange) only if you were Irish of the appropriate religion. Those kids who weren't (and there was a lot in my neighborhood back then), weren't pinched or anything. It was just something fun to do, but didn't mean much beyond the chance to strut some ethnicity for a day. Sad to see it's changed into something that's corporately punishable by pinching.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Unfortunately, some kids do take the whole pinching thing too far. Thus, schools such as my daughter's are obviously forced to take action in preventing such problems. I never knew about the importance of orange until I did some research on St. Patrick's Day traditions and history.

Thanks for all the comments on this. It has been interesting to read. And here I was, thinking everybody knew about the pinching.