Not open for further replies.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Maybe the publishing industry is in better shape than we thought?

Here's an article on industries doing well in the recession--originally posted in biz/tech about resume writing, but then I read further and saw this:

3. Bodice Rippers
Harlequin, the world's biggest publisher of series romance, saw North American sales rise $3 million in 2008's fourth quarter from a year earlier. Other escapist literature also has done well: Although most book sales were flat or down in February 2009 from the year before, a spokesperson for the Borders book chain says that science fiction and fantasy were up—as were humor titles.
The publishing industry even beat the condom industry. Go figure!

Full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090316/ts_usnews/10winnersintherecession

(Note to fellow mods: Wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move at your discretion.)

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Romance novels were up and condom sales were up? I think I may have found a link!

The good news is that while writers are getting lucky, everybody else is!:D

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Good God, when will people stop calling all romance "bodice rippers?" Are we still in the eighties? Do they even realize how many different imprints Harlequin has now?

*headdesk*

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In bad times, people tend to seek out escapism, and what's better than movies, video games, and fiction, especially romance or SF/F.

Status
Not open for further replies.