Dog Nose News is for sale

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
At least that's what it says on their homepage.

Wonder if this will affect those of us who have written for them? I have something (wrote it on a rush basis by request) that is supposed to appear this month. Hope it makes it to print. And I really hope the check shows up!

Rose? You hear anything? I know you were working on a piece for the June issue.

Trying to post this again. Something ate it last time.....

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I submitted my article on June 1, and haven't heard a peep from the editor. I'll keep you posted if I get any news...

rich

It's a good time to buy a dog pub, what with all the new attention that's been given to pets.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Rich! Please buy Dog Nose News...and feel free to bump up the freelance pay rates!

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Update...

Okay, there is no update--yet. *sigh*

I had actually e-mailed them about this the day before I posted the 'for sale' info here. No response from Dog Nose News on that front yet, and the web site is still showing the April issue.

Have you heard anything, Rose?

And Rich, I know where you can find some fine writers should you decide to make a bid on the publication. :D

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Today I called the number on their home page and listened to a voice message saying that Dog Nose News has suspended publication. No surprise there. Left a message, asking that someone call or e-mail me regarding my article. I'll be stunned if anyone responds but if they do, I'll let y'all know.

Not that this assignment was going to pay very much, but that's not the thing. It would just be nice if the writers had been notified that something was up. Stay tuned.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, that bites! I sent an e-mail on Monday but haven't heard back anything. How long do we wait until we try to re-sell these articles somewhere else?

Woofer

Dog Nose News Writers

I discovered over the weekend that DNN is no more. I'm the publisher of The Woofer Times here in the San Francisco Bay Area and the "News" was our model. We launched April 2 as a monthly with 10,000 circulation, primarily in the Berkeley, Oakland, Walnut Creek, Livermore area. We are now at 15,000 circulation, going to 20,000 and will launch a separate San Francisco edition on July 15th. Growth is in our future. We're looking for good, freelance, dog-loving writers. Please feel free to contact us. Our website is www.woofertimes.com.

YogaHead

Dognose News For Sale?

Aha! Thanks for the information, all.

I had something scheduled to appear in the June, 2005 issue, and thought the publication had disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle. I even contacted the Portland chamber of commerce to inquire, and the response was along the lines of "Duh...yes, the phone line's been disconnected."

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I had a story scheduled for the June or July 2005 issue of Dog Nose News. Happily, the editor of DNN started another paper -- Spot -- and my article will appear in there this Fall.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thanks for the scoop, Rose, and congrats on the upcoming publication! I guess Howard is excited? lol

Welcome, YogaHead. Hope you'll stick around. :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, you know Howard. Celebrities like him take fame and fortune ($40 whole dollars) in stride. :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
It's somewhat bittersweet -- my article about scrapbooking pets was published in the September 2005 issue of Spot (the paper that replaced Dog Nose News). The story got billing on the cover, and it's printed in color (the majority of the paper is b/w). It's a very upbeat layout, and makes a nice tribute to my cherished hound dog.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Oh, Rose, that is bittersweet. But I'm sure Howard would be thrilled to be the cover dog (and in color, too!), and would be so very pleased with you. Maybe you could frame the cover or the story?

Last edited:

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Anne! I was a little unclear. Howard isn't the cover dog -- in fact, there's a CAT on the cover! -- but the story itself is mentioned on the cover.

I've got two or three more articles about or with mentions of Howard that should hit the stands over the next few months. I'm putting together a memorial scrapbook (I am a scrapper, after all) for him, and I'll definitely include copies of all my doggie articles. I like the idea to frame one, though -- I'm going to do that.

On more of a writing note, Spot Magazine looks like a great new publication (the first issue was August). Check it out at www.spotmagazine.net. Note: www.spotmagazine.com is also a dog magazine, but based in Austin, TX, rather than Portland, OR.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out the website but couldn't find any guidelines. Also, found a link to see an old issue, but couldn't get it to work. Any idea if they have online guidelines and I'm just not finding them?

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, Fern, there's no guidelines out there.

Here's what I can tell you. This is a LOW paying market, but very fun and easy to work with. Your best bet is probably to e-mail the editor, Kerry Bleskan, at [email protected] and request guidelines.

Thanks for pointing out the links to both of the previous issues, even though the liinks don't work! I don't remember seeing those the other day...maybe it's a new feature and will be up and running soon.

Rose

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Rose.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mailed Spot and let them know about the broken links -- they fixed them within a half hour!

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it happened again...another of my articles that mentions Howard has been published. It's even illustrated with a photo I took of him! It really hurts that he's not here to enjoy his fame -- but I believe he's wagging his tail from Doggie Heaven! At the end of the article, the editor included a note of condolence, and I thought that was really, really nice of him.

The article appears in the Fall 2005 issue of Fido Friendly (www.fidofriendly.com), and describes all the fun things a person and dog can do in Boise.

I had coffee with the publishers this morning (they recently moved to Boise), and it sounds like I may be writing all the future city reports. Keep your fingers -- and paws -- crossed for me!