PDA

View Full Version : Rob Weisbach Creative Managment

hawk
03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Does anyone understand what Rob Weisbach Creative Management is, how it is different from other literary agencies, and what are they looking for in writers? Seems like he wants to start a new type of agency, but I can't figure out what it's all about. The website didn't offer submission guidelines, either, just how wonderful this guy is and all the stars he represents. Help!

M.R.J. Le Blanc
03-17-2009, 01:15 AM
He's not planning to be just a literary agency. According to this link (http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/the_revolving_door/rob_weisbach_launches_new_agency_110306.asp) he is going to be 'something more'. From the last paragraph in the article:

"[The company] will work with new and established talent on all aspects of career building. The company will help artists fully develop their creative potential, represent their work aggressively across all formats including film and television, train them for media and pursue national exposure on their behalf, and build an overall strategic plan for self-promotion, long-term financial stability and a sustained creative life in the arts."

Sounds kind of strange to me, but maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

victoriastrauss
03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
...but until you get an offer of representation, it's still just an agency.

- Victoria

Toothpaste
03-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I can't really speak to the idea, but I can speak towards the man. Rob was my editor with Weinstein Books (as well as its CEO) and he was just fantastic. Very supportive, and very smart, seeing things in my work that needed to be fixed and explaining very clearly why. He's also just a lovely guy to work with and he just loves writers. He also knows EVERYONE in the publishing industry, it's quite impressive. So, I'm not really sure what this venture entails, nor how one as an author gets his representation. It sounds like a combination literary agency, as well as publicist/management setup. But I will say that if you can have the luck of being one of his authors in this venture, it can only be a good thing.

CaoPaux
03-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Adding link: http://www.robweisbach.com/

frandavea
03-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Though no specific guidelines were handy, the contact page offered brief instructions on querying. Just sent off my query for a YA ms today. Keep you posted on response time.

karo.ambrose
03-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I'll send off a query too and we'll see what happens.

frandavea: did you submit through the info@ email address, or the representation@ address?

I'm not sure which is which.

frandavea
03-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I'll send off a query too and we'll see what happens.

frandavea: did you submit through the info@ email address, or the representation@ address?

I'm not sure which is which.

The representation address. Good luck to you.

karo.ambrose
03-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks frandavea! And good luck to you too!!

hawk
03-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback so far! Today I sent him a query with sample pages and synopsis for my edgy women's fiction ms.

This seems like a VERY COOL concept in literary management, but I guess we have to wait and see how "different and unique" it really will be. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll do the same for you, frandavea and karo.ambrose!

hawk
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
FYI, I contacted LitMatch about RWCM also. Got a quick reply and now they have him listed, but they couldn't offer any new information. She suggested in an email that he was considering a wide variety of submissions (as there were no preference or sub guidelines on the site.)
Keeping the faith.

52greg
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I queried him yesterday. There seemed to be no real guidelines on the website about what kind of fiction he wanted, so I queried a project that seems to have potential as a novel and a movie.

JJPie
04-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Anyone heard back from his recently? Response times?

EgyptianGoddess
04-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Anyone heard back from his recently? Response times?

I would like to know that too, I sent him a query today as well, just to see what happens.

Juneluv12
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I heard back within a day to my query with a request for the first fifty pages. Then about a week and a half in, I got some agent feedback about my partial. I emailed him and asked if he hadn't gotten to my submission could I resubmit. He responded within a day and graciously said yes, so I resubmitted about a week and half a go.

So, I'm just playing the waiting game. It seems he responds quickly to emails but just not to submitted work...which the first time around was a plus!!

hawk
04-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I heard back within a day to my query with a request for the first fifty pages. Then about a week and a half in, I got some agent feedback about my partial. I emailed him and asked if he hadn't gotten to my submission could I resubmit. He responded within a day and graciously said yes, so I resubmitted about a week and half a go.

So, I'm just playing the waiting game. It seems he responds quickly to emails but just not to submitted work...which the first time around was a plus!!
Juneluv12, congrats on getting a foot in the door! I e-queried him on March 17th with synopsis and sample pages...nothing yet, but it's only been three weeks. Still keeping my fingers crossed. ~ hawk

BKL
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Rob published my first book, Bitter Ice, when he had his own imprint at Wm. Morrow. My agent then told me he was the best in the business, and he lived up to that hyperbole. He was consistently supportive and encouraging; he assembled a competent, professional and caring team to work with me, and I really like working with him and everyone at Wm. Morrow. The day Harper/Collins bought Wm. Morrow the music stopped. Rob and everyone I'd worked with left, and I and my book were in the hands of people who were incompetent, unprofessinal, and didn't give a damn. The new publicist, for example, took three months to write an adolescent and inaccurate gush in which she got my name wrong and made it obvious she had never read the book.

I count it as a great honor and frankly rather amazing that Rob has kept in touch with me, continues to nudge me along, and is interested in my work. He is savvy, smart, does know everyone and perhaps most important, he's kind and cares about writing and writers. If anyone can live up to the model created by Maxwell Perkins, it's Rob, and I want him to represent me.

52greg
06-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I queried him in March, as I say earlier in this thread, and I haven't heard from him yet, at least not that I recall. It's been a tough few weeks for me.

Juneluv12
06-02-2009, 03:08 AM
I haven't heard anything since I resubmitted my partial on April 1st. Just playing the waiting game!!!

KeatsLove
07-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I got a request today from Rob Weisbach from a query I sent on July 2nd. He asked for patience since he has a lot to read. He also didn't specify if he wanted a partial or full, so I just emailed the full. He can always stop reading if he's not loving it. My manuscript is women's fiction/chick lit (heavy on the comedy).

This thread is encouraging. Good luck to all!

Juneluv12
07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
I got a request today from Rob Weisbach from a query I sent on July 2nd. He asked for patience since he has a lot to read. He also didn't specify if he wanted a partial or full, so I just emailed the full. He can always stop reading if he's not loving it. My manuscript is women's fiction/chick lit (heavy on the comedy).

This thread is encouraging. Good luck to all!

Good luck, Keats....still waiting to hear from my partial.....

rosepddle
07-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Does anyone have a mailing adr for Rob Weisbach or Creative Management? I have the email adr, but I want to address my query like a business letter (of course) and I can't find his adr anywhere.

HapiSofi
07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
He's lost his good in-house jobs, and he's unlikely to get another one at that level since the economy's tanked, so he's gone for to be an agent.

I see no reason why he couldn't be good at it.

Juneluv12
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Anybody with partials or fulls with Mr. Weisbach have information on his wait times? I'm waiting on a partial from April, and I just wondered how he's running. I see in the above post he mentioned he's got a lot of reading, so I didn't know.

Thanks!

KeatsLove
08-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I got an offer of representation (which turned into 3) and, when I alerted Rob Weisbach, he sent me a very pleasant note saying "congratulations and good luck with your book." I seriously doubt he ever read the full I had emailed on 7/10 but at least he was polite enough to acknowledge the offer alert and to get back to me on the requested deadline (July 31st).

So, in my situation, it was a 21 day wait to hear back but I doubt he read it since his reply gave no indication that he had.

Since he's had your partial for going on 4 months, it's probably perfectly acceptable to send a polite status update asking where you are in his reading queue and when he expects to get to it.

Juneluv12
08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I got an offer of representation (which turned into 3) and, when I alerted Rob Weisbach, he sent me a very pleasant note saying "congratulations and good luck with your book." I seriously doubt he ever read the full I had emailed on 7/10 but at least he was polite enough to acknowledge the offer alert and to get back to me on the requested deadline (July 31st).

So, in my situation, it was a 21 day wait to hear back but I doubt he read it since his reply gave no indication that he had.

Since he's had your partial for going on 4 months, it's probably perfectly acceptable to send a polite status update asking where you are in his reading queue and when he expects to get to it.

Yeah, I nudged....I just wondered. He was so quick to respond to my query and to intially respond to my "can I send you the revised manuscript after agent suggestions?" that it's really surprising. Fabulous.

Juneluv12
08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I nudged....I just wondered. He was so quick to respond to my query and to intially respond to my "can I send you the revised manuscript after agent suggestions?" that it's really surprising. Fabulous.

Well, I nudged again yesterday....reject for the partial from April, BUT I got a full request for my latest YA Contemporary....only me! :tongue

KAP
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Ha. Glad something's still in play.

EgyptianGoddess
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, I nudged again yesterday....reject for the partial from April, BUT I got a full request for my latest YA Contemporary....only me! :tongue

Best of luck!!!

Juneluv12
08-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Best of luck!!!

Thanks KAP and EG....here's hoping, lol!

Juneluv12
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Just wanted to update and say that yesterday I officially accepted an offer of representation with Fonda Snyder who is a partner of Rob's. I am very impressed and excited. Although she offered for my YA Contemporary Don't Hate the Player, she's also planning subbing my YA UF, The Guardians as well.

KAP
10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
WooHoo! Congratulations, Juneluv.

kap

Calla Lily
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
:hooray: Juneluv! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

lwalker
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Yay Juneluv!!!!!

Juneluv12
10-26-2009, 11:24 PM
THANKS Kap, Lily, and LWalker! :D

Now that the decision, or extreme agent cage fighting, is over, I can finally feel excited! LOL

WriterMorgan
10-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Gooooo Juneluv! :)

One of their agents currently has my full...almost a month now....but then again there are 2 other agents will fulls and 2 others with partials....ahhhhhhh being in limbo is so nerve wracking!

gerrydodge
02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Rob Weisbach asked for a partial of my memoir on Thursday and Jake Bauman contacted me yesterday and asked for the entire manuscript. It's also with Bill Clegg.

dgrintalis
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I queried Mr. Weisbach on the 21st and got a request for a full from Jake Bauman on the 24th. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed; I'd love to be represented by this agency.

louisgodwin
04-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Sent my query to Jake on 03-24-10 and got a request for the full manuscript today. I'm very excited!

Chumplet
04-24-2010, 07:00 AM
I queried April 20th, and just now received an email from May Wuthrich, asking me about myself, my experience and what made me write the book. No actual request for pages, but I'm still freaked out!

ETA: I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with May Wuthrich. I see lots of news (old and new) about her on the 'net, but can't find any personal anecdotes about her.

I sent my 'get to know me' response, but should I have attached pages even though she didn't ask for them? This is a vastly different experience than what I'm accustomed to.

gerrydodge
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I got a turndown from Jake Bauman a few weeks ago, but he wrote a gracious letter and then I replied to that and he wrote back in more detail. I have the feeling if other agents decline he will ask me to do some changes. He really loved the memoir but had a few objections. He is a real gentleman!!! Good luck the rest of you. If you get him as an agent, I think you will fortunate.

Chumplet
04-28-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm starting to like these guys a lot. Congrats to new clients, hugs to those who missed out (this time), and rah rah to those of us in limbo.

I haven't received an answer yet from my 'tell me about yourself' email. I'm wondering if she got it. Gawd, sometimes this business makes me want to *insert vice here*.

Nya RAyne
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I took a chance and sent my query and synopsis to David Groff for my futuristic romance. Their websit says nothing about what they accept or don't accept, or what to send and what not to send, so I'll keep you all informed.

Chumplet
04-30-2010, 04:03 AM
I decided to send a follow-up email to May Wuthrich. Since it was a conversational email exchange, I felt it was acceptable. I mentioned my full that is out, and asked if she wanted to see a sample of my writing. Hope it works!

triceretops
04-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Go, Chumplet, Go!

Tri

honeysock
04-30-2010, 05:29 AM
What Tri said. : )

Chumplet
04-30-2010, 05:49 AM
You guys are the bestest.

Chumplet
04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
It worked.

She responded this morning asking me to snail mail a full. I'll run a comb through it one more time. Besides, I have a conference this weekend with a 'blue pencil' session with an editor. Maybe he can tell me if my first pages are strong enough, etc.

She says she probably won't get to it for a couple of months, but that's okay, I can mail it at a cheaper rate than the one I spent twenty bucks on last month LOL!

Eeep!

Chumplet
07-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Update: May emailed me today, a couple of weeks shy of the 3-month mark. I opened the email with trepidation, but it turns out she was asking for an electronic file of my MS because she was about to go on a trip.

I sent it with the hope that she'd received the hard copy, & she responded that she'd already begun reading and wanted something more portable for her trip.

Yay! She didn't throw it away in disgust! Still in play, my friends. Still in play.

JessGirl
07-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Good luck, Chumplet! :)

honeysock
07-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Fingers crossed for you here, Chumplet. : )

Sweet Tea
07-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Sending positive vibes your way, Chumplet.

Chumplet
07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks, guys. She says she'll get back to me in a couple of weeks.

Chumplet
09-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Well, May emailed me tonight to say she's passing. She had trouble with the back and forth time settings, and the female MC's conflict wasn't solid enough. She had wonderful things to say about the writing and invited me to show her any future works.

I really had hopes for this one. Methinks there are rewrites on the horizon.

Ruth2
09-12-2010, 04:15 AM
(((Hugs))) Chumplet. I'm sorry.

Chumplet
09-12-2010, 06:09 AM
I replied with my thanks, and mentioned I might consider taking out the adult part and just making it a YA novel about Mallorca. May wrote back just now and agreed that it 'could be quite successful.'

I'm gonna go for it!

Ruth2
09-12-2010, 07:12 AM
I replied with my thanks, and mentioned I might consider taking out the adult part and just making it a YA novel about Mallorca. May wrote back just now and agreed that it 'could be quite successful.'

I'm gonna go for it!

W00T! for you!!! yay!!!

Chumplet
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I emailed May late last night with an offer to send my revamped manuscript. I had eliminated the adult chapters, and the YA portion fell into place quite easily. A few scene expansions and breaking it up into shorter chapters gave me a final piece of about 42K words.

I woke to her email saying to send it as an attachment and that she couldn't wait to read it! So I sent it along (yikes!).

She didn't ask for an exclusive, so I plan to go through my agent list to see who also takes YA and offer them another look. Plus I have a whole new slew of YA agents I can query with this version!

toryminus@yahoo.com
09-29-2010, 12:34 AM
I queried Jake Bauman on August 12 with my YA project and received a request for the full on August 13. Does anyone know how long Mr. Bauman usually takes to respond to a full? Thanks!

Chumplet
10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
May emailed today (I hyperventilated a bit before opening the email) and she said she'd need another week to finish reading.

Here's the interesting bit: she asked for comparisons to other successful YA novels for the purpose of pitching to pub houses, and also for a new 'submission letter' since my first one was for the Women's Fic version. (I don't know what to compare this novel to, since I stumbled backwards into YA, so I haven't read much of it lately except for the old classics.)

Is this a good sign? Should I be breathing into a paper bag yet?

brainstorm77
10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
May emailed today (I hyperventilated a bit before opening the email) and she said she'd need another week to finish reading.

Here's the interesting bit: she asked for comparisons to other successful YA novels for the purpose of pitching to pub houses, and also for a new 'submission letter' since my first one was for the Women's Fic version. (I don't know what to compare this novel to, since I stumbled backwards into YA, so I haven't read much of it lately except for the old classics.)

It def is a good sign. :) Best of luck to you.

Chumplet
10-07-2010, 10:31 PM
EEEEEEEEEEE!!!! *looking for paper bag*

brainstorm77
10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
:e2paperba lol

Ruth2
10-08-2010, 01:45 AM

Yes and yay, you!!!!!!! :D

honeysock
10-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Chuuuuuuuuumpleeeeeeet!!!!!

Go! Go! Go!

rebelcheese
10-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I tried May. She found my query exciting but rejected the query, saying that she's not the right agent for a fantasy YA.

I'm glad she liked it though I'd have been happier if she asked for pages. ^^;

Chumplet
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh, sorry about that, rebel. I haven't heard anything since the last email, so I'm quickly running out of oxygen.

LLeopardGGecko
10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Just sent off my full to Rob via email. He did say to be patient, as they're a bit behind on their reading.

No biggie. I'm just happy he wanted a full!

Chumplet
10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Good luck, Leopard!

I just read that the agency sold Paul Reiser's latest book. Galleycat Link (http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/paul-reiser-lands-book-deal-for-familyhood_b14070)

Chumplet
10-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Well, I can take a few deep breaths and plunge underwater again.

May emailed with further suggestions to deepen the novel, giving examples of National Book Award titles and Newbery winners for research. I'm going ahead and following her advice, since she seems serious about making this novel a contender.

I'm not sure who's on the hook, me or her! But I'm very impressed with her insight and unflagging support. She doesn't have to do this, but she is. I'll be forever grateful even if she doesn't choose to take me on.

So... let's consider this another Revise and Resubmit. *Dives in*

LLeopardGGecko
10-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Congrats Chumplet!

Suggestions on the book--haven't gotten any of those yet! That definitely seems like a good sign that she's committed to your work.

Maybe an offer is around the corner...?

Chumplet
10-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Oh, Gawd; I hope so.

brainstorm77
10-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Oh, Gawd; I hope so.

I hope you get repped!:)

Ruth2
10-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Yay, Chumplet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chumplet
11-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Just checking in to let everyone know I sent my revised to May about a week ago, with the stipulation that since she hadn't asked for an exclusive I planned to continue querying.

She answered that she would have liked an exclusive but was okay with it. I felt guilty & emailed back she could have a 'sort of' exclusive for the time being, because I had already promised the full to one other agent.

So the waiting begins once more, but not for too long. I totally forgot to set a time limit on the exclusive, but I'll give her 3 weeks total before checking in.

Ruth2
11-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Just checking in to let everyone know I sent my revised to May about a week ago, with the stipulation that since she hadn't asked for an exclusive I planned to continue querying.

She answered that she would have liked an exclusive but was okay with it. I felt guilty & emailed back she could have a 'sort of' exclusive for the time being, because I had already promised the full to one other agent.

So the waiting begins once more, but not for too long. I totally forgot to set a time limit on the exclusive, but I'll give her 3 weeks total before checking in.

I'd be pulling my hair out about now!!!! yay, you, Chumplet!!!!

honeysock
11-29-2010, 08:12 AM
*tagging along behind Ruth* Yeah! Yay you, Chumplet!!!!

Chumplet
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
*Crashes and burns, picks self up & inspects skid mark on ass.*

Got another lovely email from May, praising my writing but she wanted the book to go into a more family-oriented direction, not quite there, says other agents will feel differently etc. etc.

She's lovely. She really helped me improve my book. I'll always remember her with fondness.

Now, to get back on that roller coaster and hope it doesn't derail.

KAP
11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Big warm hug to Chumplet. Sorry for the huge disappointment but happy you've benefited. The roller coaster won't derail, and you know how to hold on, so enjoy the ride to the agent who feels differently. May it be a short ride.

kap

honeysock
11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Sorry, sorry, sorry Chumplet. Darn her! Do you want me to call her and tell her there's too much family crap out there right now, that your novel is perfect? 'Cause I will!

Okay, I may be getting more upset about this than you are. (My novel is no longer in play so I'm now riding the q-go-round vicariously through you. Just thought you'd like to know. : ) )

Please, ma'am, could you please share some of your optimism and sense of humor in the face of rejection?

Ruth2
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Dang, Chumplet!!! Dang dang double dang!!!! (((Hugs)))

Chumplet
11-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Aw, Honeysock... it'll be okay! I tossed back a whiskey so I feel much better now!

With the book having changed so much, it's open to a whole new set of agents who take YA, Literary (and hopefully thrillers too, because I also like writing those).

After four years of small e-presses with sales in the dozens, I'm not giving up. I'm not.

KAP
01-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I emailed Jake to follow up on a full ms. after 3 months and got an automated email message telling me he's no longer with the agency, and he looks forward to keeping in touch. The automated response came from his old email address that uses the agency's domain. I don't know if my email was also forwarded to a new address for Jake or what.

He's no longer mentioned on the agency webpage.

Aw shucks,
kap

KAP
02-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks, Jonas. I emailed Rob Weisbach, just in case my novel got handed off. No reply yet. Not really expecting one. Sounds much more promising for you. Good luck to you too.

No personal experience, but I understand that a good time to contact agents with requested material is after another agent makes an offer. Agents tend to respond quickly then. Good thoughts your way.

kap

OneWriter
02-11-2011, 12:55 AM
I've got a full out with Erin Cox. There's some promising progress with a several other agents, but I feel like a bit of a heel sending an email that says something to the effect of "I might be getting another offer, could you bump me up on your to-read list?"

Good luck with your heartfelt horror.

Don't. One, you don't know you'll be getting an offer and it may come off the wrong way if you say that. Two, even if you do have an offer this agency is really, really busy that they probably won't bump you up.

Just saying. Good luck and be patient, there's nothing more you can do.

ETA: Oh, but nonetheless, once you DO have an offer, then by all means contact them.

writer123
05-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Does anyone know where Jake Bauman ended up after leaving R. Weisbach? I had a full submission with him but never heard back. Thanks.

ScribeLady
04-28-2012, 05:11 AM
I just received a request to see my manuscript from one of this agency's agents. However, agent did not specify e-mail or hard copy.

Should I assume e-mail is ok? Have any of you sent manuscripts via e-mail to other Weisbach agents?

Thanks for any and all guidance.

Scribelady

Chumplet
04-28-2012, 05:31 AM
I emailed mine. Should be okay if they don't specify snail mail.

ScribeLady
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Chumplet, for speedy response!

Best,

Scribelady

mayqueen
07-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Does anyone have any experience working with Richard Florest at this agency?

Gravity
07-26-2012, 02:28 AM
I just queried him today; will let eveyone know how it progresses.

Kitty27
07-26-2012, 05:44 PM
I got a full request from Mr.Florest about two weeks ago. Going by querytracker,he responds quickly to queries and rejects fulls just as quickly!

Meaganmm
08-06-2012, 07:05 AM
I got a full request from Mr. Florest, and he read my manuscript and turned me down within two days! He also wrote the most in-depth, kind, helpful rejection letter I've yet seen and said that if I really pull it together, he'll take another look in a few months. So maybe it was an R&R instead of a rejection, but it was a definite no for now. Anyway, he really knows his stuff and every suggestion, sadly, was a good one.

CallMeIshmael
08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
I queried Florest 2 days ago and received a full request late last night. Going by Meaganmm's experience, he could dash off a R as early as Friday! (eeekkkk)

Will let y'all know how this goes!

ETA: Also, he asked how long I spent on this book. Is that odd? I've never encountered that question before.

CallMeIshmael
09-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Well, 2 weeks later, a big fat R. He cited tone as the reason and two other Rs said something similar. But another agent who is reading a R and R from me said she LOVED the voice. (cap letters and everything) I don't know if I should ... Idk! I need wine immediately.

Eta: Florest was most kind and encouraging in his R. He is, no doubt, a dream to work with.

katydid
02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Sent query (thriller) to Rob Weisbach on Feb. 11, 2013.
Referred me to Richard Florest the same day.
Mr. Florest asked for a full that day.
Waiting to hear back.
Writing the next novel.

tracycgold
05-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Any updates on length of/type of response on fulls here? Have had a full with Richard Florest since 5/20 (only 10 days) but am on tenterhooks as I've seen so many querytracker folks saying he got back to them in 3 days! I'm guessing with Book Expo America everyone's slow.

mayqueen
05-30-2013, 08:22 PM
I did two R&Rs for Mr Florest. After the initial full request, he got back to me in five days. The second took about two weeks. The third took about four or five weeks. All of his comments and suggestions were extremely helpful, and he is kind and professional.

tracycgold
05-31-2013, 04:44 AM
He sounds amazing. Now I'm worried for sure that my full got lost in email, but I guess I will go ahead and nudge when I get back from my vacation in a few weeks if I haven't heard back! Nothing I'm going to be able to do about it while traveling.

mayqueen
05-31-2013, 05:35 AM
The standard time to nudge is at three months. Waiting is hard, but I wouldn't recommend nudging before that.

tracycgold
05-31-2013, 06:35 AM
The standard time to nudge is at three months. Waiting is hard, but I wouldn't recommend nudging before that.

I'm so incredibly impatient that this whole query process has me pulling out my hair. I know I'm not alone in that!

I think you're right, just so many others have said he's lightning fast that I'm confused!

Amanuensis
06-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm so incredibly impatient that this whole query process has me pulling out my hair. I know I'm not alone in that!

I think you're right, just so many others have said he's lightning fast that I'm confused!

My experience: he asked me for a full, responded exactly three weeks later, we chatted via email for a bit, then talked by phone. He said very nice things and, more importantly, had stunningly good notes. I rewrote and resubbed per his suggestions (ironically, the well-known writer he compared me to's actual agent has also asked for a full). I, like you, am awaiting a reply.

Good luck!

Thedrellum
06-14-2013, 07:53 PM
EQ: 6/11/13 to Richard Florest
Full request: 6/13/13

YA Science Fiction 67K words

mayqueen
06-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I wonder if he's become a non-responder to queries now? I sent him a query on my new project and have heard nothing.

Thedrellum
06-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Mayqueen, according to QueryTracker he tends to respond just as quickly with rejections, although there are also a decent number of no responses. Maybe queries are getting lost in the internet ether? Or maybe he has a maybe pile?

I guess what I'm saying is that it's clear he isn't a flat non-responder, though whether that suggests you should follow-up, I'm not sure.

Thedrellum
06-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Received a stunningly fast response from him a day after sending my full. The stunning part is that it was a personal response, detailing what he liked of what he'd read, and what he didn't like (and how he would like to see the book revised to address the problems he sees).

Also, he offered to look at the manuscript again in a few months if I decide to revise towards his directions.

I'm going to wait on that until I hear from the other agents on my list, but it's a good offer, and wonderful rejection (as much as such things can be wonderful).

tracycgold
06-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Hey, was on vacation so a bit delayed here. Got a really encouraging rejection (yes those two words are going together) on 6/6. So 5/20 to 6/6--still very fast! I respect him a lot for taking the time to be so thoughtful. I'm keeping at it!

K.L Hallam
04-15-2019, 07:16 PM
I have a full MS out with Richard Florest. I found it 8 days later in my spam and sent right away with an apology. I'm at four weeks and without confirmation of his receiving the MS, I'm unsure of what to do. Does anyone have experience with Mr. Florest? Thanks in advance. ~ Karen