So I woke up this morning and found my mom dead on the couch (theoretically)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I'm 15 years old, and we're the only two in the house. No foul play involved, I believe. She up and died from drinking way too much, just like my dad said was going to happen one day.

As I run to tell the neighbor, something VERY BAD happens. This is completely (I believe) unrelated to my mother dying. As a result, a day passes, and I've told nobody. Then another day passes. I start to feel like it's too late to tell anybody, so I don't.

It's very hot outside, and there's no power.

I'm curious. How long before my mother starts becoming an unholy, gooey stink bomb? A couple hours? A day?

Also, are there any studies/non-fiction/well-handled fictional accounts out there about similar situations.... where loved-ones die and a person does nothing about it? You read it about this happening enough that you'd think someone has talked about it. But I'm coming up empty.

anne_marie

Registered
Reaction score
Also, are there any studies/non-fiction/well-handled fictional accounts out there about similar situations.... where loved-ones die and a person does nothing about it? You read it about this happening enough that you'd think someone has talked about it. But I'm coming up empty.

Not sure if this will help much but I recently watched a movie called "Khaled". It is about a young boy whose mother dies and at first he doesn't understand and tries to go on with life, school. If you watch it you could make a timeline of what happens (decomposition wise) to the mother. It is a very good movie, very moving. I think it might be a Canadian movie.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately mum's going to smell from the get-go, as sphincter muscles relax at death and there can be a certain amount of intestinal/bladder 'spillage' as a result. If it's very hot the body's going to start bloating within a few hours as the anaerobic gas producing bacteria in the gut go to town. Doesn't take long for them to produce strong odors.

Don't forget the effects of rigor mortis either - onset within a couple of hours, gone by about day 2 roughly.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
About the spincter letting go, true, but there has to be a full bowel for it to empty. Go to this site to get a good overview of the stages of decomposition.

As an aside, your MC would have to be several cards short of a full deck to allow anything to divert him/her from notifying somebody about the death. I'd be throwing the book across the room (or at least quietly setting it down on the 'For Sale' pile).

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
As an aside, your MC would have to be several cards short of a full deck to allow anything to divert him/her from notifying somebody about the death. I'd be throwing the book across the room (or at least quietly setting it down on the 'For Sale' pile).

In total agreement with the above.

Unless there's a believable reason - not one that I necessarily would agree with as being valid - but a BELIEVABLE motivation for keeping silent.

I read not to long back, about a couple (in TX?) that walled a deceased mother in the attic - the reason - to continue recieving her Social Security checks. The woman remained entombed there for 8 years before it was finally discovered.

I'll bet that there's others, and maybe some fellow AW'er will contribute to the list.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Thanks for the additional answers.

As for the reason... I want to tell someone, but there's nobody to tell. The police and hospitals and rescue are all preoccupied with the supernatural VERY BAD thing that is happening, and even if I did tell them at this point, they wouldn't do anything about it. All the neighbors are gone at the moment. They will return, but a few days will have passed by then. By that time, most of them will have dead loved ones of their own.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
You'd have to throw that couch away. Eewww.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Hold on my 15-year old brain is trying to wrap itself around this concept.

Her mother is found dead on the couch one morning after drinking herself to death, and the 15 year old daughter and father do NOTHING? Do I have this right? My brain says that would be freaking out time and call 911 in a panic. But that would be my reaction.

...Well that's a strange premise for a story. Not that's a bad thing...