so when did YOUR BRAIN start its decline?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hell. As a chick, apparently I should've just been put out of my misery ten years ago, then.

---

That said, yes, valuable research. Does it have to be so depressing, though? I only have four more years of relying on my memory? The hell!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I thought about getting married.

Richard

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
My brain has run about the same since the 8th grade - of course, I've learned tons since then, it just doesn't effect my daily usage.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The first chink in the ol' armour began around the age of 24. It was tiny. But I felt it. I can almost say I "heard" it.

Then another small stumble happened around 26.

The 27.

By little degrees each year it keeps progressing. My advice: play games! Crossword puzzles. Logic problem. Sudoku. Mah Jongg. It's like doing pushups with your brain cells. Be the Matthew McConaughey of brain health.

My fav web site for gray matter maintenance:

http://www.mindjolt.com/

And my fav game there:

http://www.mindjolt.com/games/confusebox

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm smarter now than I ever was and I think it's because I forgot so much of what I was taught origionally.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Around the time I found spell-check and the computer's thesaurus. Who needs to think when this shiny box does all the work for ya? I don't know if it's so much declining as lazy from lack of exercise...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
this thread is really confusing me.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Nice, RC, I thought you were gonna say my first AW post started your brain decline.

Cassio is mugging me.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a damn good thing:
1) there is a tremendous redundancy built into the human brain, so we can lose functioning neurons and still not lose significant mental function
2) the benefits of experience and learning greatly outweigh the loss of computing speed, so the brain can continue quality reasoning well into the sixth, seventh, and eighth decade or beyond.
3) good, solid reasoning and quality creativity are not races that go to the swift.
4) there are some aspects of brain fuction (as well as other aspects of human biology) where quick is not synonymous with better.
5) barring catastrophic or disease-related events (including dementias), learning is a life-long human quality
6) professional athletes rarely compete at top levels into their 40s, but intellectual athletes can continue to "compete" at top levels several decades beyond that.

Sorry, old farts (this includes me). Excuses are still just that--excuses. Keep the mental whips cracking. It's up to you as to whether you want to continue to compete as an intellectual athlete or not. Your brain can take it. Can you?

Last edited: