Spanish speakers?

Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
Hi guys,

Anyone know how to say "pervert" in Spanish?

The scene is actually in Buenos Aires, and a local woman shrieks "pervert!" when she thinks my MC is attacking her. If you know the word in Spanish, is it even appropriate for this situation? Or would she probably scream something else?

Thanks!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
From Dictionary.com:
pervert
Verb
to lead (someone) to crime or to evil or immoral (especially sexually immoral) acts
Spanish: pervertir

pervert
Noun
a person who does perverted (especially sexually immoral) acts
Spanish: pervertido

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for slang, I can check my collection of Spanish slang dictionaries. One thing - Spanish slang, especially sexual or insulting words and phrases, differ greatly between cultures. I have some dictionaries that specify which region or country the phrase comes from. When I have a chance, I'll get back to you with an answer, if I can find one.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say pervert, are you looking for an outright insult? I can tell you the Spanish equivalent of a c--- s---r. PM me first and I'll PM you back with a few words and definitions. If a forum moderator posts a reply stating that it's okay to post the words in an open forum then I will post a follow-up message here.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Spanish speaker born and living in Venezuela, here. If you want regular Spanish "Pervertido" works fine; if you want slangy, you have "Sádico".

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And this is completely off-topic. Your location bio says that you're in South Korea. Have you ever heard a singer named Camilla Ghedini? She's one of my absolute favorites. Her mother's Korean and her father's Italian. It's impossible to find her music here in the States.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
"Pervertido" is the literal translation, but it's not regularly used, at least not where I live. I'd propose "enfermo" (sick) or "cerdo" (pig) instead. Come to me if you want your spanish sentences checked.

Enna

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelleschusterman.com
Thanks everyone!

I tried babelfish and got pervertido, but wasn't sure if that would actually work given the situation. I lived in Brazil and speak Portuguese, so I know sometimes the literal translation isn't exactly what would actually be said.

In this case, my MC is on a subway in Argentina and a local woman thinks he's making a pass at her and screams pervert. So I suppose Argentinian slang is what I'm looking for.

Honestly, there's a lot of different languages flying around in this book, but I keep most of the dialogue in English as long as my POV is fluent in whatever language is being spoken. This character knows a little Spanish, so I may just write "Pervert!" since that's what he would understand.

Does that make any sense??? :(