Call to all screenwriters (Free website posting)

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It might be free, but it is worthwhile to put time and effort into ?

The guy who started it hasn't had success with pushing his own projects - so why should we follow his method ?

Mac

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
It's not a feature film, but I got a script produced by a Youtuber. And I know already that the result is going to get more hits than posting the script on that website.

I don't want to be mean, but I simply don't see the added value.

Johnque

John Q
Registered
Reaction score
You'll never know, the least you can get, is having your work posted on the net, and generate some BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to be mean, but I simply don't see the added value.

I don't mean to sound mean either, but a service for screenwriters and actors that includes the following sentence:

The Screenwriter's Guild and the Actor's Guild may not want you, but we sure do

appears to be run by people who don't understand the fundamentals of the business. Which makes me wonder how this site will be taken seriously by bona fide producers.

The Screen Actors Guild and Writers Guild of America aren't "resource guilds" like this site refers to itself as (although I confess I'm not quite sure what a resource guild is.) SAG and the WGA are not designed to market actors and writers to producers.

These guilds are also not fraternities or exclusive clubs looking to keep people out - they are worker's unions - whose purpose is to use collective bargaining to ensure that their members receive fair compensation, benefits and have decent working conditions.

Like all unions there are eligibility requirements for membership - those being that the actor or writer perform work covered under the agreement by companies who have signed the agreement (i.e. union shops). The eligibility requirements for both SAG and the WGA are much less rigorous than for many unions.

Clearly there are successful sites that allow writers to post their work (i.e. inktip) or actors to post their headshots / resumes (backstage), but they are run by people who understand what the guilds do and how the business works.

Perhaps johnque can give us a bit more information about the background of those running this company and their plans for marketing the service to producers.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
You'll never know, the least you can get, is having your work posted on the net, and generate some BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
How you generate buzz is querying every prodco and producer on Earth, and submitting your first drafts to reputable peer-review websites like TriggerStreet and Zoetrope (and don't forget SYW for Screenwriters! :D). Maybe if you have an interesting concept you could create a trailer or poster, and get people excited that way (that's really if you're looking to get funds to direct it yourself actually), but putting your spec out willy nilly? First of all, it opens you up to all sort of legal problems, and second, how many shots callers wander the net looking for specs? They pay people to read specs and filter out the losers because they just don't have hours in the day to read slush!

ETA I've reviewed the site and it looks like a low-rent Inktip or ScriptPimp, which are commonly accused of being skeezy themselves. Why is this service better than theirs?

Last edited:

Johnque

John Q
Registered
Reaction score
Dear DevelopmentExec I came across this site accidantly, and I thought it'd be good idea to help out, that's all, nothing more, nothing less.

you've got a point Mario

Good luck to all.