One number, one voice mail for every phone -- Google Voice

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
All your base are belong to Google (Voice)?

Google announced on their official blog that they are launching Google Voice. It's kind of a relaunch of GrandCentral.

You get one phone number, it rings ALL your phones. One central voicemail that can be set to send you a text OF THE MESSAGE (transcribed), or to send you an email with the audio. History of GrandCentral shows that the transcription is probably going to be needing some ongoing fine tuning.

But this would seem to be Google's way of letting the telcos know that they are making a new claim on user's communication needs.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me, man. I've been waiting for THREE years for my telephone company to give us voicemail. We're "on the list". Meanwhile, my brother's family, who used to live about a half-mile away, had voice mail with the same provider.

Screw them. Gimme my voice-mail, dangit.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I love GrandCentral, and Google Voice is pushing it forward with new features (that's 2 years after they acquired GC -- about time). I really like it.

The new features that really get my excited:
- SMS (for mobile phones only)
- transcription (you don't even have to listen to the voice mail most of the time -- great for email)
- sharing voice mail
- making calls from your own phone (with Google Voice number showing in the calling ID)
- Conference calls
- Direct call instead of call presentation
- Email attachments can now be played on the iPhone!
- Mobile Web interface for web-enabled phones or iPhone

Stuff that I've loved before is still here:
- Individual ringtones
- Individual voice mail greetings
- email and text notification
- simultaneously rings all your listed phones (or selectively if you want)
- call widget
- free US calls

Right now, they're only offering GV to GC members, but will open their services to the public soon.

Last edited: