Apple's encrypted earphones

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Far out, Apple have really hit a new low.

The earphones for the new iPod Shuffle have been encrypted so that third party manufacturers need to get authentication to make earphones compatible with the shuffle.

This is the craziest, most over the top example of a tech company squeezing out its competition.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mine is good for the gym, too, but that's all I need. I don't need one that is just a stick with no buttons and a proprietary headphones -- I'd like to be able to use by Bose earbuds, thank you! Plus, if you're going to the gym, why do you need a 4GB device that holds 1000 songs? 1000 songs and NO frigging screen and buttons?

What are the Apple product guys thinking?

Last edited:

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I'm torn between loving my iPod and hating Apple (and hating myself for loving my iPod!). I'm betting, as with any Apple products, replacement headphones (Apple or authenticated others) won't exactly come cheap. What a cynical rip-off.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The headphones thing is stupid. I have to go replace my daughter's because she left the earbuds at a friend's house and now the friend can't find them.

I don't care about a screen or anything because I've yet to have anything bigger than the Shuffle (I want a Nano - so that's in my near future) and I can't miss something I've never had, right? OF course, that'll go out the window when I get the Nano...

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Apple earphones are expensive that's for sure, and even more expensive when you take into consideration that they're shit!

I like my Sennheiser's that I can use in my non-encrypted iPod. But I want cans. Big fat cans.