Commonly used but incorrect words that bug you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Following on from the overused words thread where the ghastly "snuck" sneaked in, what words drive you mad when used incorrectly?

My personal bug-bear is "supposably" which is always thrown in in a bid to make the not so bright speaker sound intelligent. Fail... It gives me that whole one-eye-twitching crazy look whenever I hear it. Kinda like this->:Wha:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Normalcy.

Affect/effect being mixed up.

Ast or aksed for 'asked'.

Irregardless, as has been mentioned.

And I read the word 'happifying' in a book recently. I had to be scraped off the ceiling afterwards.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
when someone says someone or something fell in the floor.

When I was working, another nurse once told me in report that so-and-so fell in the floor. I was in a mood and asked her if maintenance had been out to fix the floor or if I should call them.

She didn't get it.

*sigh*

ETA: I also read it in one of Laurrell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books - I also had to be scraped off the ceiling.

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
And I read the word 'happifying' in a book recently. I had to be scraped off the ceiling afterwards.

What book had the ahem... "word" "happifying" in it? Was it used in a serious context? I reckon they'd have to squeegee the ceiling for me too if I read that.

The affect/effect thing really annoys me too. I'm beginning to see why the other kids didn't like me... :D

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
But those using the words 'incorrectly' may just be ahead of the curve with the new meanings. They are the ones boldly forging new paths that other, less able, wordsmiths can follow.

Yes, those trail blazers are going to take many wrong turns - that is the cost of not following the same trail as everyone else. But they are the ones who are going to be creating the language that our grandchildren will be speaking - not us old fuddy-duddys who are sure that all the new-fangled word usages are wrong !

Look at how 'decimated' has changed in definition over the years.

And how many people argued for years that the word 'toilet' meant a lady's dressing table ? Were they right .. or were they just behind the times, sticking to definitions that were decades out of date?

I may not be trail-blazer, but I'm determined I'm not going to be a linguistic pedant for the rest of my life.

And the first step to my rehabilitation is that I'm proudly going to line up at the '12 items or less' queue at the supermarket, and resist the urge to tell them that if they used out of date rules then they should feel guilty for not saying '12 items or fewer'.

Mac

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, I just remembered. When people ask, "Is this cliche?" when it should be "cliched."

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
But those using the words 'incorrectly' may just be ahead of the curve with the new meanings. They are the ones boldly forging new paths that other, less able, wordsmiths can follow.

Yes, those trail blazers are going to take many wrong turns - that is the cost of not following the same trail as everyone else. But they are the ones who are going to be creating the language that our grandchildren will be speaking - not us old fuddy-duddys who are sure that all the new-fangled word usages are wrong !

Look at how 'decimated' has changed in definition over the years.

And how many people argued for years that the word 'toilet' meant a lady's dressing table ? Were they right .. or were they just behind the times, sticking to definitions that were decades out of date?

I may not be trail-blazer, but I'm determined I'm not going to be a linguistic pedant for the rest of my life.

And the first step to my rehabilitation is that I'm proudly going to line up at the '12 items or less' queue at the supermarket, and resist the urge to tell them that if they used out of date rules then they should feel guilty for not saying '12 items or fewer'.

Mac

Darn it, you've made me feel mildly ashamed of myself. Only mildly though!

Very well put. I'm not entirely anal about these things- I can't be as I'll never be that confident in my own competence with language. It's only certain words that sound to me like nails on a blackboard. "Irregardless" being right up there.

And I'd like to point out that I'm not an old fuddy-duddy. Rather, I am a young fuddy duddy- a twenty-five year with absolutely no tolerance for "txt spk" and the like... :)

Reaction score
Apostrophes for plurals.

Shop signs that say, "Special offer: Two pie's for the price of one". :rant:

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
'Except' when they mean 'accept' (or vice-versa).

I agree with the poster who mentioned 'affect/effect'. And 'principle/principal'. Ugh.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Task instead of assign. As in "Bill was tasked to complete the TPO reports" *twitch*

I'm all for fluidity of language, but when there is a PERFECTLY GOOD word already... and just about anything that comes out of corporate culture should die a quick and painful death. Please.

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Who's instead of whose.

Also, ridiculous management speak. "Pushing the envelope"? Pushing it where? Just because words are of the same language and you have strung them into a phrase, does not mean any of it makes any sense whatsoever.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When somebody marks a footnote with an asterik.

I'm not going to go into it with great detail, but all I'm saying is "literally". All I'm saying.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Importantly. ARGH.

"More importantly, the government has decided to cancel the stimulus package."

It's "more important"! Please.

"Importantly" means a different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.