Resident Evil 5???? Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I just got it today, and I can't be the only one. Did anyone else pick this up? What do you think? I'm in chapter 2 right now, and so far I like it. I played the demo and did horribly, but I'm doing pretty well (for me) on the actual game. It reminds a lot of RE4, which I loved. Anyone else?????

*disclaimer - I'm not sure if this is the right forum; I never really know with games. Please feel free to move as needed... :)*

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I'm crying on the inside. I pre ordered it, with all the special edition stuff and now I don't have the cash to go pick it up. I'm kicking myself for not paying for it when I had the chance.

I can't wait to play it though. Resident Evil 4 was a refreshing breeze for the RE series and I'm looking forward to getting back into Chris's shoes.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

I'm sorry!! It's ok if you want to cry on the outside, too. I definitely understand. I actually wasn't going to be able to afford it, either, but then I had Mr. Grr go through the old games with me and we actually found enough games to trade into Gamestop to pay for the entire thing. I was thrilled. I thought I'd be able to find enough to get a decent discount on it or something, but we did even better than that.
I think that if you liked RE4, you'll like this one.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I could probably do something like that. I had to trade some games when RE 4 first came out on the gamecube... Do you believe that Game Crazy wouldn't give me a straight trade across from Wii RE 4 to GC RE 4. Apparently the Wii game isn't worth as much as the Gamecube game is...

My girlfriend would be mad at me if I took in our xbox games to trade for RE 5.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I just got RE5 a couple days ago, it cost me 93 dollars. I haven't really gotten a chance to play it. The special item was rediculous, a sand globe? ok...

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
$93???? Wow.... That's crazy. I'll keep checking back - let me know what you think. Good luck!!!

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
well I got the limited/special edition. I'm at about 3%. I kind of wish chris didn't take up so much of the screen. I dont really like how mainstream they made this game, RE4 was really good but if anything this so far is more like some other genre of game with the RE title and characters thrown into it. Maybe its just me, but I miss the old games. They just need to stop adding to the story, they're making it obscure and they probably should have held onto Umbrella a bit longer, we don't need two more companys to compensate for the one...

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
correction. 360 is better AND they are gonados, not zombies. but... well, I'm not gonna spoil anything.

I'm almost done with the game now, I was up until 4 this morning. I'm on 5-2ish so I'll be done soon. I just couldn't concentrate, but this game is better than I thought, not play wish, but story wise. the game isn't anything specatcular compared to RE 4, but its redemption most deffenantly was the plot of it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I've had it since the release. I finally had a couple of hours to try it, today.

Wow.

I don't play many games, so I don't have a real good frame of reference. But...wow.

I died fairly quickly, but it was fun. I'm sure I'll complete it in a couple of years...

Jerry Cornelius

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a bit apprehensive about getting this. Resident Evil 4 killed video games for me.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I played the demo. Did great against the regular guys but the bosses of each section in the demo killed me every time. I'm not a big RE fan, so I may give this one a pass...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit apprehensive about getting this. Resident Evil 4 killed video games for me.

OMFG!!!!!!1111111???//////WTF!!!!!!?????!!111111

I mean, I quite enjoyed that one.

Jerry Cornelius

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OMFG!!!!!!1111111???//////WTF!!!!!!?????!!111111

I mean, I quite enjoyed that one.

It was incredible. So incredible, nothing else ever managed to measure up for me.

For a while I became a wraith, shunning secondary things like friends and work, eating and drinking only so I could play Resi 4 more.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the demo...

IMO, resident 5 feels too much like resident evil 4 and not enough like resident evil. Paradoxical? You bet. But seriously. Controls, movement, enemy behavior are all very similar (read as practically identical) to what we've seen before, right up to the zombies charging up within two feet and then stopping dead in their tracks to engage you in a staring contest as you blow their ugly parasite-infested heads off.

With that said, the tense, gritty, frightening atmosphere of resident evil 4 is conspicuously absent. The game supposedly falls into the survival horror genre, but the horror seems to have gone on a vacation and neglected to come back. (It did send a postcard though.) This was one of the fanbase's objections to resident evil 4 as well, but resident evil 5 takes it several steps further, to the point where the game feels just another action oriented third person shooter. Except you can't move while shooting. Not that you need to. Chris is even more of a badass than Leon. But this time around, you also have a partner who heals you up every time you have a life-threatening boo-boo and who can roundhouse kick so many zombies that Chuck Norris would be jealous. The fact that she's easier on the eyes is just salt in the wound.

Sure, the graphics are stunning, and the first time I saw a wooden stall shatter into pieces from one of those steroid-shooting zombie guys swinging his big-ass semi-blunt weapon into it, my jaw dropped.

But that stuff is just eye candy, really. Impressive for a little while. Then it fades into the background.

Prospective buyers, don't get me wrong. The game's not bad. I'll probably buy it myself, eventually, but nothing that I've seen has put me in any particular rush to do so.

Then again, I'm the guy who...

Never finished The Ocarina of Time, or Final Fantasy 7 or Resident Evil 4 or either Gears game. I'm also the guy who complains about how Bioshock and fallout 3 and fable 2 (oh lord, don't get me started on fable 2) could've been so much better than they were. Oh yeah, and Oblivion? Beat the main quest and all the guilds, and came to the following profound conclusion: wow. That sucked.

Last edited:

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
I played the demo when it came out, too, and I didn't think I would like the game very much based on it. Like darkprince, the big guys in each of the demo levels killed me every time I tried to play. But, one thing to remember, is that when you're actually playing the game, by the time you get to the those particular levels, you're playing with more than a pistol, which was the biggest problem I had. The pistol is useless against the chainsaw wielding Ganados. So I would recommend giving it a try, even if you didn't love the demo.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I played the demo when it came out, too, and I didn't think I would like the game very much based on it. Like darkprince, the big guys in each of the demo levels killed me every time I tried to play. But, one thing to remember, is that when you're actually playing the game, by the time you get to the those particular levels, you're playing with more than a pistol, which was the biggest problem I had. The pistol is useless against the chainsaw wielding Ganados. So I would recommend giving it a try, even if you didn't love the demo.

I had a shottie in the demo...

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
That would have been a huge help. I was really getting pissed off that I kept getting decapitated by the chainsaw.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
Thankfully for those people who find it just a little bit difficult to keep the head on their shoulders during normal gameplay there are three difficulty settings. HARD HARDER HARDEST... no, there isn't a hardest. I played medium first, now I'm doing easy and collecting emblems.

One thing though... this is not as exciting or fulfilling as RE 4. I think Chris, Jill and Wesker's parts in the game were seriously abused and weren't necessary. It only fills the hardcore RE fan's heart near the end when you get to the old (no spoilers here) facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.