PDA

View Full Version : The "Buddy List" (what do different colors mean?)

SFLP
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I love my buddy list, but I had a question:

When I pull it up, sometimes some of the names of people who are online are red, and sometimes they are black.

Anyone know what red means?

Thanks,

J.

scarletpeaches
03-15-2009, 12:07 AM
If they're red they're online. Black, they're not. (I think; I never use my buddy list).

SFLP
03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
If they're red they're online. Black, they're not. (I think; I never use my buddy list).
Alas, no, that's not it. The list is divided into offline and online people. And some of the people in the online list are shown in red for a few minutes when I check.

I like the buddy list because if I think of a question for someone that would be nice to get an answer to right away, I can check to see if they are online. It's handy.

J.

Seaclusion
03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I have never used the buddy list either, but then I'm on everyones ignore list so a buddy list is a moot point.

Richard

zanizh
03-15-2009, 12:40 AM
What did Seaclusion say? I can't see it because he's on my ignore list. :)

I actually didn't know there was a buddy list until I read this. I haven't had a need for it so far and no one has asked to be my buddy. :(

SFLP
03-15-2009, 12:56 AM
What did Seaclusion say? I can't see it because he's on my ignore list. :)

I actually didn't know there was a buddy list until I read this. I haven't had a need for it so far and no one has asked to be my buddy. :(

I don't think you know if you're on someone's buddy list. I just added names of people who post to the forums that I post to, that I wanted to know if they are on. It just added them all - didn't require a request or anything...it's just sort of a shortlist for your own use. It adds a plus to that persons name, while you're viewing it, at the bottom of the forum where all the zillion names are listed, plus you can bring up a list saying they are online/offline. Keeps me from having to search through those zillion names.

Some forum admins I know use buddy lists to contact, say, all of their moderators with one announcement email, or specific moderators, same thing. (They don't know what the red is all about either - lol)

I just checked the support forums at vbulletin.com and can't find the red names there, either.

zanizh
03-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't think you know if you're on someone's buddy list. I just added names of people who post to the forums that I post to, that I wanted to know if they are on. It just added them all - didn't require a request or anything...it's just sort of a shortlist for your own use. It adds a plus to that persons name, while you're viewing it, at the bottom of the forum where all the zillion names are listed, plus you can bring up a list saying they are online/offline. Keeps me from having to search through those zillion names.

Some forum admins I know use buddy lists to contact, say, all of their moderators with one announcement email, or specific moderators, same thing. (They don't know what the red is all about either - lol)

I just checked the support forums at vbulletin.com and can't find the red names there, either.

LOL. Is it just one of those things that are bugging you to the point you can't sleep at night? Like trying to figure out what that one light switch does in your garage that never seems to turn anything on? :wag:

SFLP
03-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Like trying to figure out what that one light switch does in your garage that never seems to turn anything on? :wag:

lol Exactly! It's just bugging me. (I'm a geek for a living; I like to know how things work.)

I'm wondering if it just means those people have just logged on in the last x number of minutes or something. I *think* I've only seen it on people who have just hit the "online" list.

Being able to send a PM without having to look up a username is really handy; choosing multiple users for a PM even moreso. I don't think the red is going to add any functionality that I need. But I wanna KNOW.

(And you can bet your butt I also know what that garage light switch is for, eventually ;))

Sneaky Devil
03-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Ok, so here's the thing. I use my BL ALL OF THE TIME! When someone's name is in red it is for two reasons that I can tell. 1) You have just opened your list and it always shows everyone who is online in red. 2) If it's a single person, they just came online.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but about 95% sure. I may be wrong, it has been known to happen before. :D

rhymegirl
03-15-2009, 07:34 AM
But aren't we all buddies, really?

Beach Bunny
03-15-2009, 07:47 AM
When did they change the function of the buddy list? A few months ago, it didn't do anything and there was no reason to use it. :Huh: