Status
Not open for further replies.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I had a burst of genius just now. The idea was what if I made a forum for people to ask someone with less experience questions. Then the whole thing bloomed and I realized it really was a great idea.

Users, post your questions here. I will answer them to the best of my knowledge and other (more experienced) users will no doubt drop by to make up for my short comings.

The objective of this topic is to create a learning environment, surrounding novels, through trial and error.

So, what can I do for you?

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Why not?

As a newbie, what blogs do you find useful?

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
Sure, I'll bite.

So, how do you determine tense in your stories?

In writing a story tense depends on personal taste.

Look at me, already faltering on my first answer.

Personally I'm in practice writing tense, sometimes I'll get worked up and start swinging this way and that, ranging from first person to third person. I don't think tense is utterly important when it comes to the first draft of a work. When you read back on what you have you'll find errors in your tenses. Find the tense you use the most and format the whole work to that one tense, if it makes you comfortable.

Why not?

As a newbie, what blogs do you find useful?

Before I came here I found an old blog, Ms. Snark's blog. I read a lot of what she had up but was disappointed that she was done with it. Her attitude to aspiring novelists was... inspiring. What can I say?

Last night I spent a couple hours pouring over Nathan Bransford's blog. Personally Nathan's blog is a good starting point, and something to come back to for reference.

Last edited:

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Snark's blog. I read a lot of what she had up but was disappointed that she was done with it. Her attitude to aspiring novelists was... inspiring. What can I say?

Last night I spent a couple hours pouring over Nathan Bransford's blog. Personally Nathan's blog is a good starting point, and something to come back to for reference.

I found those when I first thought seriously about writing a book and I thought they were great also. I like Nathan Bransford's alot. I thought he was very truthful and honest in explaining what he expected and was looking for.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
Since we don't have anymore questions at the moment I'll ask one to myself, this is from a post in another part of the forum, I just thought it was interesting.

What is the purpose of a prologue?

I really love John Saul. (I don't know if the other people here at AW think that this reference is faux pas or not).

John Saul always starts his books off with a prologue (prologues are not necessary). What John Saul does is give you a two or three page running start at the book. It’s like seeing the shadow of someone standing around the corner and then actually seeing them come into the light. You get an outline, but the shadow doesn't always match the person. It is often skewed by the light source, yet it is true to the person.

This is just an example of a prologue. lol. I hope that helped.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Ms. Snark is to Nathan Bransford as Ren is to Stimpy.

Both are good blogs, btw.

To add...

Any aspiring writer not living and mingling among the urban masses would be very depressed to read his opinions of their possibility of securing representation.

and

A plague on those who ended Ms. Snark's reign of brilliance.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
To add...

Any aspiring writer not living and mingling among the urban masses would be very depressed to read his opinions of their possibility of securing representation.

and

Both things you said are very true. However I don't know if it's just me and my outlook on my own circumstances or blatant ignorance, but I like what Mr. Bransford has to say.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Just a note:

It's MISS Snark, not Ms. Keep reading the snarkives; you'll find quite a few instances where she gets worked up about this ;-)

And, yes, I agree, that blog was marvelous. Her crapometers were a major influence on me.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I like Nathan's blog. I also like Andrew Zack's blog. For the tips, for the advice and for the knowledge presented.

I realize some may feel they are harsh in their statements about publishing/writing realities facing writers. But, I would rather know what I am up against (should I wish to submit) than have blinders on and be ill prepared for what will happen. And, according to their comments, coupled with writer comments all over this site? I say, they are spot on - even when it is a harsh reality they present.

Question for the OP since this is a question thread:

Would you advise a person who is just starting to write - outline or not? And why for the one you picked and why for the one you would tell them not to use.

Christine

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
To add...

and

This is true but I suspect that the people who could most benefit from a harsh dose of truth are the ones least likely to read his blog.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
Question for the OP since this is a question thread:

Would you advise a person who is just starting to write - outline or not? And why for the one you picked and why for the one you would tell them not to use.

Christine

I guess that would depend on the person. I guess I'd consider the whole of interaction as advisement, special care segregated for the ones who are really ready.

It’s easy to tell somewhere to look and what they should learn, this is like a teacher handing a student a text book and telling them to read. LOL!

Then there is telling the person where to look and having them come back awe inspired and renewed, essentially that is why I started this topic. You are my teachers, yet I can be a teacher too. Isn't that what the water cooler is all about?

I think any work is special, seeing as it is special to the writer, I'd advise them until the writer and I were both satisfied. Then I'd advise them to get a more schooled advisor.

If I didn't understand your question and this wasn't the answer you were looking for please reiterate.

This is true but I suspect that the people who could most benefit from a harsh dose of truth are the ones least likely to read his blog.

BRILLIANT!!!

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I had a burst of genius just now. The idea was what if I made a forum for people to ask someone with less experience questions. Then the whole thing bloomed and I realized it really was a great idea.

Users, post your questions here. I will answer them to the best of my knowledge and other (more experienced) users will no doubt drop by to make up for my short comings.

The objective of this email is to create a learning environment through trial and error.

FABULOUS!!!!

So, should I keep on with querying the agents, hoping to snag someone who will get me a film option, or head straight to the graphic novel publishers with my query?
Do tell.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
FABULOUS!!!!

So, should I keep on with querying the agents, hoping to snag someone who will get me a film option, or head straight to the graphic novel publishers with my query?
Do tell.

If you've got the option to solicite to two different sets of agents DO IT! If you get a reply from either the film or graphic novel publishers and they want to see it you can't lose.

Honestly I don't think a lot of people are able to successfully pull off two different formats, but then there are those that can. You've got a head up and that's awesome. I'm stuck with finding your old fashoned Literary Agent, trust me, I wish I had a broader range of submission.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com

Funny, but I see he has since replaced the post from a while back regarding the total futility of any writer ever getting representation via query letter with a really informative piece linked from his main page. He evens eludes to the original post. Hey, any agent who takes the time to blog about the business is someone to be appreciated...his original post was just really disturbing to someone living 3000 miles from the party I was supposed to bump into him at...

I happened to learn more from an angry, crusty old copy editor at my first newspaper than all the 'nice' ones combined. As long as there's a slight glimmer of hope, I keep motivated.

NoeyTelemnar

Pardon me, but what comes between 3 and 5? :tongue Just kidding!
Okay, now really, which is better to read: a book with many confusing words that make you feel stupid or a book with no description at all?

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
That my dead NoeyTelemnar is a good question.

4! Ok now.

I don't think you'll find a book with no description at all... I don't see how someone would go about getting one published, unless its some sort of sad non-fiction.

A friend of mine a couple years back (being five or six years my senior) gave me a Plato book. He told me to read it, that it probably wouldn't increase my vocabulary (unless I wanted to balance a dictionary on my nose). He said, "Read some of this and then read a mainstream novel." You'd be amazed at how much faster I read after the Plato experience.

When it comes to reading, don't waste your time on things that do not interest you (this can be a topic or a writing style). Isn't that the great power of variety? Drop it if it's crap. I can't tell you which is a better read, my taste is different, I'd just as soon not read either of those options... I haven't touched Plato in a long, LONG time.

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

The objective of this email is to create a learning environment through trial and error.

When is it appropriate to use an adverb? When is it appropriate to rely on "to be" as the main verb in a sentence? Do you use topic sentences in your fiction?

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
My high school eduation hath been thwarted!

I suppose that it is most appropriate or only appropriate to use an adverb when you want to modify an adjective OR a verb. Just see if I'll follow the established law of good English! Conjection adverbs are a lot more fun; consequently, that's not what we're talking about.

To be Frank, I was wondering if Frank should be capitolized or not in this usage. (by the way, I have no idea what I just said). Appropriate "to be"...

"Who's the well speaking English fellow that is going to be speaking for us today?" Asks the man in the bowler hat.

"I am to be." The well speaking English fellow said.

Yeah, I'm a cheat.

I'm not currently practicing topic sentences in my fiction, but I'm sure I probably should.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
When is it appropriate to use an adverb?
Adverbs are good for creating irony. They're fine in dialogue when the speaker is being histrionic. They also work well at times that poetry would also use them -- e.g. for the sound of the word.
When is it appropriate to rely on "to be" as the main verb in a sentence?
When the sentence delivers imagery through some means other than the verb. E.g. metaphor and irony often work well with bland verbs. "I was as happy as a bastard on Father's Day"

Do you use topic sentences in your fiction?
I wouldn't unless I had a surprising or ironic use for them. While it's important to introduce topics early, topic sentences look like a blunt instrument to me. If a sentence is to introduce topic then I like it to have some other use too. E.g.
From the age of eight, Tofan had dreamed like any other boy, of owning a Kalashnikov assault-rifle. But by fifteen, with his younger brother whimpering on the cot they shared, it had become a necessity.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.