PDA

View Full Version : Can you resubmit to the same agent? How long in between? How?

nitaworm
03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I am in the process of reworking my Query Letters. I am taking a class that offers advice and reviews for query letters.

I also decided to send my manuscript out to another set of Beta readers (2nd time as the first set mainly read for story development). I am also taking the 2nd run edited manuscript to a critique group to further clean it up.

My question is, can I resubmit to the agents that I submitted to previously?

With a new Query Letter? Should I change the title of the novel?

Create a New Synopsis?

Submit a new rewritten first chapter?

I plan on resubmitting in August (about 6 months from my first submission). Is that a sufficient time to wait?

Lastly, how many submission of different works should you send to previous agents you queried for previous works?

I plan on submitting 3 different novels by the end of this year, and want to send to the same queried agents. Is that acceptable, or will they see my name and automatically toss my query in the circular file (trash)?

jclarkdawe
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I am in the process of reworking my Query Letters. I am taking a class that offers advice and reviews for query letters. We could have done that for free for you in query letter hell, but you'll probably have more fun in the class. And it will be a lot more pleasant.

I also decided to send my manuscript out to another set of Beta readers (2nd time as the first set mainly read for story development). I am also taking the 2nd run edited manuscript to a critique group to further clean it up.

My question is, can I resubmit to the agents that I submitted to previously? If there is significant changes to the query/manuscript, yes, although you should wait about six months.

With a new Query Letter? Should I change the title of the novel? If the first query letter didn't work, you need to make major changes. Title depends upon how distinct it is.

Create a New Synopsis? If you did a rewrite, that should have changed the manuscript, requiring a new one.

Submit a new rewritten first chapter? Again, if this hasn't had a major change, then it shouldn't be resubmitted. If it's the same as what was rejected, it most likely is going to be rejected again.

I plan on resubmitting in August (about 6 months from my first submission). Is that a sufficient time to wait? yes.

Lastly, how many submission of different works should you send to previous agents you queried for previous works? One at a time, with at least a month between rejection and new submission. Organizational skills on your part are important here.

I plan on submitting 3 different novels by the end of this year, and want to send to the same queried agents. Is that acceptable, or will they see my name and automatically toss my query in the circular file (trash)? Not if you space them out sufficiently.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

nitaworm
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Thank you Jim,

I figure I am going to resubmit to 'Query Hell' after the class - that way I will see if my $75 was well spent. :)

I am taking 3 new versions of my Query letter that I revamped after putting it in Query Letter hell to this class, and the teacher better be able to help me fine tune them all (ha ha). It has to be in good shape before I post it in the Query Letter Hell board on here again.

Megs123
03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I had the same question. Thanks for the much prized info. :)

victoriastrauss
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Unless your novel has REALLY been rewritten--to the point that it's a substantially different book--I wouldn't resubmit it to an agent who had already rejected it. It's fine to send a new manuscript, though.

Are your manuscripts in different genres? If so, it could make sense to query them simultaneously, since it can be hard to find an agent who represents, say, both children's books and mysteries, or romance and middle grade fantasy. If your books are in the same genre, however, or targeted to similar audiences, querying for all three at the same time puts you in competition with yourself (nor do agents want to see a query for three novels at once, unless they're a completed series). In that case, it might be a better idea to pick the manuscript you think is strongest, and concentrate on it.

- Victoria

Julie Worth
03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
My question is, can I resubmit to the agents that I submitted to previously? Yes

With a new Query Letter? Yes

Should I change the title of the novel? Yes

Create a New Synopsis? Don't send a synopsis if you can help it.

Submit a new rewritten first chapter? If you sent material, yes.

I plan on resubmitting in August (about 6 months from my first submission). Is that a sufficient time to wait? Yes. A few agencies keep tabs on you, but not many.

Lastly, how many submission of different works should you send to previous agents you queried for previous works? One at a time.

I plan on submitting 3 different novels by the end of this year, and want to send to the same queried agents. Is that acceptable, or will they see my name and automatically toss my query in the circular file (trash)? Again, most agents want to see your strongest work, so best to query on only one book per agent--one at a time, that is. I accidentally sent queries on two books to the same agent about a month apart, and she requested the fulls on both and read both, but that is an exception.

nitaworm
03-17-2009, 04:29 AM
I am writing YA-Sci-Fi, I only sent it out to 15 agents, and got back...15 rejects, all by email. Isn't technology wonderful? I know that my original manuscript and query weren't ready. So I am cleaning them up thanks to everyone here.