PDA

View Full Version : In Bruges

blacbird
03-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Obtusely titled noir thriller with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. Watched it tonight. Excellent, except just a tad contrived near the end. But really good performances and direction throughout. Anybody else seen it?

caw

Toothpaste
03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Yup, I think there might even be a thread about it. The second I saw the poster and title I knew I wanted to see it. Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes?? And the fact that it was set in Bruges, aside from the lovely absurdity, I've actually been to Bruges and it is just that gorgeous.

Plus I love the writer (the fact that I had to walk out of his play The Pillowman halfway through actually demonstrates how awesome he is, the writing was witty clever and utterly terrifying. I had nightmares for weeks. Literally).

Anyway, adored the movie, actually should really go see it again. The ending was preditctable, but that was okay. And I loved the chemistry between Gleeson and Farrell. And Fiennes was totally in his element.

Interesting side story. A friend of mine shortly after I saw the film returned from a trip around Europe and had also gone to Bruges. The following conversation actually took place (well I mean, I don't remember verbatim but it basically went like this):

"Hey, btw, did you see the film In Bruges?"
"What film?"
"The film, In Bruges."
"I don't know what film you're talking about."
"In Bruges."
"I didn't see any films in Bruges."
"No the film, In Bruges."

It took several rounds of this "Who's on First" real life routine, before she finally understood my meaning. I was laughing so hard all the way through it, tears streaming down my face. One of those awesome moments from the Clown gods.

emc07
03-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Interesting side story. A friend of mine shortly after I saw the film returned from a trip around Europe and had also gone to Bruges. The following conversation actually took place (well I mean, I don't remember verbatim but it basically went like this):

"Hey, btw, did you see the film In Bruges?"
"What film?"
"The film, In Bruges."
"I don't know what film you're talking about."
"In Bruges."
"I didn't see any films in Bruges."
"No the film, In Bruges."

It took several rounds of this "Who's on First" real life routine, before she finally understood my meaning. I was laughing so hard all the way through it, tears streaming down my face. One of those awesome moments from the Clown gods.

Hilarious, and the only way it works is if someone had actually visited Bruges... :roll:

The movie was good. I liked Colin and Ralph. I really enjoyed the story and the dialogue. I thought at least one scene was really gory (bet you can guess which), but overall the movie was pretty good.

Fox The Cave
03-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Love, love, love, love, loved it.

Loved the surrealism, loved the characters, fucking LOVED the dialogue, loved the ending,loved the humour, loved the metaphors,loved the story, loved how damn sexy Clemence Posey is.

What is it you guy's didn't like about the ending? I thought it was really well pulled off, I was rooting for Ray to live like i've never really rooted for a character in a movie recently. I like to think he did and hooked up with Clemence Posey's character, but then hey - it's ambigious.

And the mistaken identity with the dwarf at the end...brilliant.

A very intelligent and funny movie. I love it because it's smart while down to Earth at the same time - it never feels elitist, but it never feels simple.

Great fucking movie.

And yeah I know i've ranted on about how good this movie is in the other thread for it, but I just think it's that good.

Enzo
03-14-2009, 02:04 PM
It's one of those supposedly 'small' movies that grabs you and never lets you go.

Great British humor that reminded me of Snatch, great actors, and fantastic scenery. Bruges is the kind of place you'd expect to see in big-budget action movies like Bond or Mission: Impossible, but I bet the locals wouldn't like that.

katatonic
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Man, this films dialogue is up there with Tarantino's stuff. Overall it a damn fine film that is memorable and very very quotable. Oh and funny as fuck.

I have the script if anyone wants it.

seun
03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Great film. Watched it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Toothpaste
03-14-2009, 06:14 PM
The ending didn't bug me, but it was very predictable. I was also a bit dissapointed that the only reason there was a little person in the film (spoiler) . ..

. . . was so that he could die and look like a child. The second they introduced him I knew what they were doing with him. And it made me a bit sad because it would have been nice seeing a little person just playing a character, his height not having any meaningful significance to the plot.

But it is a minor quibble. It made sense to the plot, it really worked out well. I just happened to know right away that that would be the end of the story.

maestrowork
03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
It was okay... some great lines, good characters, and interesting scenarios, but the movie drags in many places. Everybody said it was so funny and hilarious -- I just didn't really see it. Also, the ending is predictable and kind of contrived. I saw it coming from a mile away -- it was a neat set up but still.

I think Gleeson deserves an award for that role. Farrell was kind of irritating and Fiennes was very interesting.

Gynn
03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I liked it. I went in expecting a buddy comedy and was impressed by how touching Farrell's character was.

I especially liked the park scene with he and Gleeson both having the same thing on their mind and neither one going through with it.

dragonmedley
03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
It was okay... some great lines, good characters, and interesting scenarios, but the movie drags in many places. Everybody said it was so funny and hilarious -- I just didn't really see it. Also, the ending is predictable and kind of contrived. I saw it coming from a mile away -- it was a neat set up but still.

Same here. I think it was in the comedy category, but I didn't find it all that funny. Ironic, yes, crack a smile, yes, but not what they had prepared me for in the ads.

For some reason, I found Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrells and Snatch hilarious, but not In Bruges. I'd love to see the city, though.

blacbird
03-15-2009, 11:50 PM
There was some sharp funny dialogue, especially when Fiennes shows up, but I'd hardly call it a comedy. The ending to me seemed a little forced, kind of like the characters were being moved around like chess pieces, but overall that's a minor quibble. In particular, the absence of any appearance by police during the long chase/shootout etc. strained my sense of credibility some.

As for Farrell, I'm not a big fan of his, but in this film his aggravating personality was perfect for the role. Both Gleeson and Fiennes were fabulous. And the dialogue was dead on target at every line. Every writer here should watch it for that reason alone.

caw

scarletpeaches
03-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I love this film, which will come as no surprise to anyone with knowledge of my Farrell fixation.

blacbird
03-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Shouldn't you get a Brendan Gleeson fixation?

caw

scarletpeaches
03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
No.

Just no.

blacbird
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Perhaps I was thinking of Brendan Fraser.

"You heat the Canadian."

caw

Fox The Cave
03-16-2009, 06:37 PM
"Course ya can't bloody see, I just shot a fuckin' blank in your eye!"

Zelenka
03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Saw it a while back and enjoyed it. It reminded me a lot of the Harold Pinter play 'The Dumb Waiter'.