Posting Novel Previews - How Much is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I tried to search for a topic like this, but came up empty. So if there is one please forgive me, I did try to search.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how much is too much when it comes to publically posting previews of your novel? I know they're good to generate interest, but I've heard at some point publishers consider it too public to be worth publishing even if the whole thing isn't avaliable. Is there such an issue, and at what point would most publishers consider it 'published'? I know the NaNo site doesn't allow excerpts over 10k characters in order to prevent that issue. I ask mostly because I've come across a novel that sounds quite promising, but as they haven't really said if they intend to self-publish or try publishing houses I'm wondering if they've inadvertedly screwed up their chances of commercial publishing. Currently up to ch. 11 is posted, and if each is roughly 6900 words (like chapter 1 was) that's just over 75k. Plus it comes up a lot during NaNo, but no one really is able to answer with any certainty from the industry point of view.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
They have eleven chapters posted online? If this writer intends to pursue professional publication, they need to remove it from the internet. What if they sent it to an agent, and the agent Googled them (it happens), and discovered the book existed on a website for free perusal by anyone?

Save posting previews for after a deal is in hand. Once your book is on its way toward being publicly available for purchase, that's when you want to start building up consumer interest.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I posted about 3,000 words of my first two books in the months immediately pre-publication. That was enough to give readers a taste without giving away the whole story.

I'm not sure if posting anything before you have a regular stream of readers and/or an upcoming publication to promote has much effect.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I have posted the first chapters of all my novels on my website but only after (or shortly before) the book is actually released...

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Posting Chapter 1 of your work is the norm. It is very unwise to post more than that.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
11 Chapters? I think that's a bit too long for an excerpt. Then again, some people think they should give away half the book so the readers would want to buy for the second half...

I only posted one chapter and a few choice passages on my site and it did generate some interest. To me, that's enough. But I only did that shortly before the book release and after.

penelopegeorge

It's wine o'clock somewhere...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.penelopegeorge.com
I posted the first three chapters of my ms on my website. The posted content is just under 9% of the total word count, or the first 30 pages. My thought was that agents could Google me and see a normal-sized sample. It seemed efficient at the time, but now after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts. I'm not an agent and I don't think like one (if truth be known, I think like an accountant). Should I remove some or all of this?

THANK YOU for all your advice.

EDIT: It's actually (almost) the first 50 pages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.