Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Thread title made you look didn't it? Come on, tell me I got a good title for once.

I recently bought The Whitechapel Horrors - A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Edward Hanna - 1992. Yeah, I’m running a little behind.

Has anyone else read it?

The footnotes are worth more than I paid. The book is well researched both for Holmes and Jack the Ripper. It’s supposed to be about Holmes and Watson and the search for the Ripper. I mention this because I’ve gotten used to the mss found in the dispatch box written by Watson. (Seven percent solution and others.) The first shock was book was written in third person.

Okay that was a huge shock.

Now I think the pacing is okay though a little slow for Holmes, Holmes, Watson, various police inspectors etc are true to the characters (both those of fiction and what I know of the those of the time, I could be wrong on some of the real people) and the City.

But it seems as though the rhythm of the book is slightly off. Is this because I expect Holmes to be in first person Dr. Watson’s POV, or is it something else?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Considering the year it was published, it could be a difference in the writer's voice because of a different era, or because he's not Doyle.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Thread title made you look didn't it? Come on, tell me I got a good title for once.

You got a good title for once :)

I know nothing about the book though.

Viking Horse

Devil in the Top Hat
Registered
Reaction score
The first shock was book was written in third person.

Normally I'm not one for first-person, but I actually came to be quite the fan of Sherlock Holmes; in fact, I find it hard to imagine it as anything else now. Without having read the book in question, I'd say that may indeed have a lot to do with it. (Mind you, I've never much enjoyed the idea of someone else continuing an author's work like that, so I'd probably go into it a little jaded, if I picked it up at all.)

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
blacbird - saw that movie, enjoyed it. Read the book of the same title and I don't remember feeling the rhythm was off in it. Can't remember if it was first peson pov Watson or not.

Cyia - I've read anumber of the found mss in the strong box. Some handle using Watson's voice better than others. But this is the first one I remember done in third person, but I could be wrong about that. Sure the 1990s aren't the 1890s, but my feeling was that the idea was to match the voice. Of course, if you're saying Hanna failed, well, guess so. But his footnotes are still great.

I'll always give a little more leeway for book with good footnotes.

HelloKiddo - It's great to win every so often! thanks for telling me.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

I recently bought The Whitechapel Horrors - A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Edward Hanna - 1992. Yeah, I’m running a little behind.

Has anyone else read it?

The footnotes are worth more than I paid. The book is well researched both for Holmes and Jack the Ripper. It’s supposed to be about Holmes and Watson and the search for the Ripper. I mention this because I’ve gotten used to the mss found in the dispatch box written by Watson. (Seven percent solution and others.) The first shock was book was written in third person.

Now I think the pacing is okay though a little slow for Holmes, Holmes, Watson, various police inspectors etc are true to the characters (both those of fiction and what I know of the those of the time, I could be wrong on some of the real people) and the City.

But it seems as though the rhythm of the book is slightly off. Is this because I expect Holmes to be in first person Dr. Watson’s POV, or is it something else?

It's been a while since I read this, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
You might enjoy the one by Michael Dibden as well. I think it's called Sherlock Holmes' Last Case or something of the sort. Another Holmes / Ripper one, but written in first person.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Viking Horse thanks, always like support.

Bartholowmew - I'll try it again when the weather gets warmer, in case it is just me.

JessRAmage - I'll put that one on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.