Not open for further replies.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Jill, that's a nice letter, and one that I'm sure your dad will love to read for father's day.

You are so lucky to have your dad. My dad died 10 years ago, at the age of 60. And, just like yours.......he spent his entire life working, running a business and always busy. Just like your dad, my dad took us on great vacations every year.

My dad was brilliant and kind, moral and gracious. His entire life was devoted to doing what was right. He never waivered in his convictions. He always knew what to say, and waited to be asked.

I was still acting stupid when he died.

What a shame. I had thirty years to learn from him, and didn't take advantage of it. And, now - at 41 - when I would cherish the opportunity, it's gone.

So, for Father's Day .....to those of you lucky enough to have a great father who is still alive - take advantage of the time you have left together. Drop what you're doing and visit him. And listen.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
eldragon said:
Jill, that's a nice letter, and one that I'm sure your dad will love to read for father's day.

You are so lucky to have your dad. My dad died 10 years ago, at the age of 60. And, just like yours.......he spent his entire life working, running a business and always busy. Just like your dad, my dad took us on great vacations every year.

My dad was brilliant and kind, moral and gracious. His entire life was devoted to doing what was right. He never waivered in his convictions. He always knew what to say, and waited to be asked.

I was still acting stupid when he died.

What a shame. I had thirty years to learn from him, and didn't take advantage of it. And, now - at 41 - when I would cherish the opportunity, it's gone.

So, for Father's Day .....to those of you lucky enough to have a great father who is still alive - take advantage of the time you have left together. Drop what you're doing and visit him. And listen.

Thanks so much for sharing those sentiments, Eldragon.

You should write about yours, if you haven't already! I'm sure you will touch others, which is something I think I kind of failed to do with my piece. I told the editor as much but she didn't feel that way.

Lovely thoughts you've expressed.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Jill,

I loved your letter. Having a special bond with your Dad is a real gift. My idol piece this week is nonfiction, and I gave that letter to my Dad. After reading yours, I want to make sure I tell my Dad about more of my positive treasured memories. Maybe I'll write him another letter, one that doesn't have any negatives. Thanks for sharing. :Hug2:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Congrats, Jill! It's wonderful.

(p.s. with that sentiment, you will like my book... *shameless plug*)

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Lovely, Jill. I'm sure it will be very meaningful to your father--and to many of your readers, as well. Thanks for sharing the link. :)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
DJP, wow! How did your dad react? Did you just give it to him? You did a beautiful job of being loving while talking about the problem.

Nice (and funny) letter, Jill.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice letter, Jill.
emoteThumbs.gif
As a papa of a daughter, I can say I would love to be on the receiving end of a letter like that.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
GREAT WORK JILL:Clap: Of all the revisions you've written I truely think this one is the very best. You went from a loving letter from a daughter to a complex, complicated thank you, I love you, type letter that he will treasure for a lifetime.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
DJP, wow! How did your dad react? Did you just give it to him? You did a beautiful job of being loving while talking about the problem.

Jenna,
I emailed the letter to my Mom first, and she printed it out for my Dad. Mom said 'That about says it all, doesn't it?'. When I got up the guts to ask my Dad about it, he hadn't taken it out of the envelope yet. But, he gave me permission to use it in the contest from what my Mom said about it. Dad and I have talked since, but I haven't asked again if he read it yet, and he hasn't said. I think I'll give him a little time, and hopefully he'll bring it up when he's comfortable talking about it. I just pray that he understands I'm trying to be positive and supportive.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
That was a very nice letter. Would you like to send a copy to my dad? We are a lot closer now that I am all grown up with a family of my own than we ever were when I was a child. (after all, I did name my son after him, so he has to be nice to me now)

The one thing that has disturbed me, however, is that now I see myself turning into him. He was great in a lot of ways, but seriously lacking in others. If you ever watch or watched the TV show King of the Hill, Hank Hill is a carbon copy of my father. Strange, isn't it.

Congrats on publishing the letter. It was very nicely done.

Brady H.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
To each of you and any others here after: Some of you critiqued me when I was working on this piece, which turned into a real struggle. So I mean it when I say thank you for your help and your kind words. And I'm especially glad that its caused readers to think about their own relationship with their dads - or maybe even their kids as you may see yourself as a dad. Although I had serious concerns about how well I would connect to the readers, you've all made me feel a lot more comfortable. Thank you. I hope I can reciprocate the help and support.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jill!

Congrats on that! I have a submission on market review with Blue Mountain Arts done in a letter format from daughter to father - specifically written for Father's Day. I'll let you know if it ever gets accepted. If it doesn't, well, ya just won't hear from me! lol

Deb :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed your letter to dad, Jill! Very well-written. Yes, it does cause people to think about their own dads. I never really got along with mine very well. He always seemed to be in a bad mood. I think that's because, unlike your dad, he didn't have a job he loved. He went to work to put food on the table, to support a family of six.

But he mellowed out a lot as the years went by, especially once he retired. When he retired, he finally got to do some of the things he loved, such as painting and songwriting.

P.S.
Sorry, it's the proofreader in me, but did anyone else notice there were a couple of boo-boos? In the third paragraph, they have "to" late, instead of "too."
And in the bio at the end they have "freelancer" writer. :Shrug:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: ...And the mighty 'Five Banana Award' for your good works.

Congrats.....:Clap:

Linoge

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Jill!

It must be exciting to have something published. I read your letter with a green eye. :D

:TheWave:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hey congrats on the letter Jill! That was great!

I think this version was the best also. Kudos!!!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Fabulous letter, Jill! Very, very nice....

Congrats getting it published. :Clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.