PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Film Delays

ChaosTitan
03-13-2009, 07:37 AM
According to this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090312/en_top_eo/104019), The Avengers, Thor and Captain America are being pushed back.

No reason was given for the schedule shift, though Marvel Studios chairman David Maisel said that the switcheroo "maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multicharacter The Avengers film in 2012."

The biggest surprise (for me) came at the end of the article: there will be a Spiderman 4. *twitches*

maestrowork
03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Iron Man 2 is in the works as well -- Mickey Rourke just made a deal to play the bad guy.

childeroland
03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
They've been planning Spidey 4 and 5 for some time now.

Crowding Spidey, Thor, and Captain America in the same year seems a bit much, and I wonder if the announcement isn't something of a stunt.

Yeah, Rourke's playing a combo of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo.

AICN posted something from someone claiming to be a Marvel insider, some insight into what's going on:

-Avengers is delayed a year because of financing issues but also because the plan is for Favreau to helm it. Everybody here loves the guy and he wants to do it, but it would have been impossible for him to do before the date change given his Iron Man 2 commitments. Also partly the reason why he agreed to do the Stark sequel on such an accelerated schedule was so he could get given first dibs on this. It would still be a punishing schedule for him, so hes not firmly confirmed yet, but he is certainly the presumptive director at this point.

- Iron Man starts rehearsals in a few days, which is why the casting is finally coming together so quickly.

-Alexander Skargard is indeed Branagh’s favorite to play Thor as some sites are reporting. If all goes well and it happens then we hope to get Stellan Skarsgard for Odin (though at present Odin is only a very small cameo part in this movie).

-Loki will probably be played by Hartnett, if his pay negotiations work out. All the commentary about him wanting to do a Ledger and play a villain is B.S. though – WE APPROACHED HARTNETT because Branagh’s a big fan of the Othello adaptation O where Hartnett played Iago who is very similar character wise to how he sees Loki.

- Fox is serious about doing remakes of Daredvil and FF. They have to make new movies with these characters every few years because otherwise the options will revert to us. This point is kinda obvious but Im not sure people realise it –I havent seen anybody pointing it out anywhere. The mood around here is pretty negative about Rothman’s potential to execute these properties properly, (Im sure you know why it might be particularly negative at the moment) but we are all hoping his recent promotion will mean hes kept away from direct control of these movies.

Call me Fuzzy Dunlop

Joe270
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
there will be a Spiderman 4.

I heard both the Spiderman and F4 have contracts to the seventh film.

Alexander Skargard is indeed Branagh’s favorite to play Thor as some sites are reporting. If all goes well and it happens then we hope to get Stellan Skarsgard for Odin (though at present Odin is only a very small cameo part in this movie).

This can be the best series of graphic novel-based movies ever, if they get it right from the get-go.

nighttimer
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd rather wait and get the movies right, than rush and get the movies wrong.

Spider-Man 4 had better klll. That's all I can say because it has to the wash the bad taste of 3 away.

I strongly doubt Marvel is going to push three comic book flicks on us at the same time. There's a saturation point for even the most successful genre and if Thor or Captain America bomb, it could cripple the Avengers flick most of us really want.

Timing is everything. ;)

James81
03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Spiderman 4 is going to go the way of Batman and Robin.

Fox The Cave
03-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Spiderman 4 is going to go the way of Batman and Robin.

There's a part of me that's rooting for that outcome just for the pure humour of it.

Jean Claude Van Damme would be the bad guy.

Celia Cyanide
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I think this is a good idea. Marvel should not overdo it, IMO.

And I didn't like any of the Spiderman movies, so I don't really care what happens with the 4th one.

MattW
03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Less is more, please.

jubileerocker
03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
the three listed I wouldn't watch anyway, never cared about them... More X-Men please!

Dommo
03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
As a nerd I'd like the inflow of hero movies to slow down, except for already established series(ironman, batman, etc). This is just to prevent a possible flood of mediocre or shitty movies otherwise soiling a truly good group of films already in existence.

Gynn
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Iron Man was my favorite comic book. I was always arguing with my friend as to who would win in a fight: Iron Man or Silver Surfer.

BrittaMoline
04-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I can't wait for Iron Man 2. The day that trailer comes out, I won't do another thing the whole day. Avengers will rock too, based on Ultimates and all. The Ultimates vol. 1 may still be my favorite comic book of all time. Hope it's done well, as well as Iron Man (if a bit darker).

BrittaMoline
04-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Iron Man was my favorite comic book. I was always arguing with my friend as to who would win in a fight: Iron Man or Silver Surfer.

Pfft, no contest. I hope you won.

nighttimer
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
As Thor recently demonstrated when he kicked Iron Man's ass (http://media.photobucket.com/image/thor%20vs%20iron%20man/Dr_Awesome_676/Thor_3_DCP_0016.jpg), there's a big difference between a God of Thunder and a "mortal man in a metal suit."

I have no doubt the Herald of Galactus would hand out a similar beatdown to Iron Man.

:e2sven:

nevada
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping the Spiderman 4 movie will be the film version of the new stage musical of Spiderman. It's an original story and it would be teh awsumz.

mwhuahahaha (evil laughter) I never quite got the whole spiderman thing. The second one was okay.

jst5150
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd have guessed "money" right away as the reason. Marvel Entertainment is/was riding a hugely successful wave. To let that die would take superhero flicks out of the eyeball of the public. The genre could then be relegated to obscurity again, though studios and backers are willing to spend real $$$ after the success of "The Dark Knight."

On a personal note, I'm hoping for a reboot of Daredevil. I'm hoping they take that same plotline and redo it. The Elektra and Bullseye characters are fantastic and that story, where she ends up killed by Bullseye, is great. Frank miller did it, as he's had a hand in many great plot and story for blockbuster comic and SF film lately (300, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins) and so on. Plus, the leather fetish was a strange turn. I need that wiped out of my head. Affleck can still play Matt Murdoch.

Finally, can't deny box office receipts on the Spiderman series. It's made money each time.

Wait. Did I just say ... money again? ;)

Still waiting for "Three Days to Dead" film starring ... who again in the lead, Chaos? :)

ChaosTitan
04-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Still waiting for "Three Days to Dead" film starring ... who again in the lead, Chaos? :)

Movie-schmovie. I want a successful, multi-season series on HBO, a la True Blood. :D :D :D

BrittaMoline
04-04-2009, 09:18 PM
As Thor recently demonstrated when he kicked Iron Man's ass (http://media.photobucket.com/image/thor%20vs%20iron%20man/Dr_Awesome_676/Thor_3_DCP_0016.jpg), there's a big difference between a God of Thunder and a "mortal man in a metal suit."

I have no doubt the Herald of Galactus would hand out a similar beatdown to Iron Man.

:e2sven:

That's actually something I really love about Iron Man, the ever-looming mortality and weakness.

jst5150
04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Movie-schmovie. I want a successful, multi-season series on HBO, a la True Blood. :D :D :D
Great point. More control, better critical reviews AND big $$$.

I'll help you pimp this too. ;)

Serenity
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM

Can I be a production assistant?

ChaosTitan
04-05-2009, 10:52 PM

I expect you to be out in the streets pimping the book when it comes out in Germany next year. :D

jst5150
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I expect you to be out in the streets pimping the book when it comes out in Germany next year. :D
Well, duh. Next task, please. ;)

BenPanced
04-06-2009, 09:26 AM
They're probably just trying to figure out how they can cram Wolverine into the storylines, like they do with the comics...

dgiharris
04-06-2009, 11:20 AM

This is a much better idea than making a movie.

This would enable you to do true justice to the characters and all the comics/storylines out there.

Unfortunately, I think there is just too much money to be had with movies *sigh*.

Why settle for $30M spread out over a two years when you can make $100M a pop with the movies? At least, that is probably what the suits are thinking.

All in All, it is inevitable that there will be an oversaturation of the market. That is how the market works for pretty much everything.

In the beginning there is one or two, they sell like gang busters,

then three and four, and a few more different people jump in to grab some market share...

and before long, every Tom Dick and Harry is pumping out a widget until the market spits up and vomits in a fit of over indulgence. Once that occurs, we revert back to the market share leaders, hit a steady state, and then await the next big thing.

Hero movies will be no different IMHO

Mel...