Outlook Express hassles - help, please!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I do not use Outlook Express, but my mom and aunt do. I've been trying to help them with a problem since yesterday.

They (mom & aunt work together) tried to send an email with an attachment that was too large. Outlook won't stop trying to send it and it's jamming up their email and I can't make any sense of what I'm reading about this issue online, or the proposed solutions are too complicated for me to relay over the phone to two people who aren't the type to disconnect their networks and any sort of fiddly business.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you know an easy way of getting Outlook to stop trying to send a message?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Can you delete it from the outbox? I've done this with emails that I realized contained a grievous error that would make me look like an complete dolt.

(I use Outlook, not Outlook Express, so there may be difference I'm unaware of.)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
You probably have OE sending/receiving maill as soon as it starts up, right? Kistovenu default behavior! :rant:

The first thing to do is to make sure that the unmentionable thing is set to operate at your command, not at its whim. Go to Tools --> Options and in the Options window, General tab, uncheck "Send and receive messages at startup" (halfway to the bottom it hides).

Then close the bleemin' thing, click everything it offers until it is gone, and then open it again and delete the problem item from the outbox.

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
I do not use Outlook Express, but my mom and aunt do. I've been trying to help them with a problem since yesterday.

They (mom & aunt work together) tried to send an email with an attachment that was too large. Outlook won't stop trying to send it and it's jamming up their email and I can't make any sense of what I'm reading about this issue online, or the proposed solutions are too complicated for me to relay over the phone to two people who aren't the type to disconnect their networks and any sort of fiddly business.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you know an easy way of getting Outlook to stop trying to send a message?

When this happens to me at work, I close Outlook, disconnect from the internet, then re-open Outlook. At that point, the outgoing message that's stuck in the outbox can be deleted. Once it's gone, you can re-connect to the internet and carry on life as normal!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks guys! I did manage to get them to disconnect and reconnect and it killed the loop. What a stupid nuisance. Who thought that up?