And exclusive and a request?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalage

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the situation: Agent X requested a 4-week exclusive on my manuscript. I've still been sending out queries because I read that there's nothing wrong with that and whatnot. Of course now there's an issue. Yesterday, Agent Y asked for a copy of my full. There's still about a week and a half left on Agent X's exclusive, so what's the best way to let Agent Y know about this?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say anything at all. Instead I'd wait a week to send it, then ship it by media mail. By the time the second agent received it the exclusive would have expired. Anyway, sounds like you might have a hot property, so best not to agree to any exclusive. You can do that nicely by saying you can't because you already have material out.

Lalage

Registered
Reaction score
The only problem is that Agent Y asked me to email it to her. Still not say anything and wait a week or...?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The only problem is that Agent Y asked me to email it to her. Still not say anything and wait a week or...?

Then you'll have to tell her that there's an exclusive and you'll send it to her the day it expires. The problem with exclusives is they only benefit the agent, so best never to agree to them.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Simply reply to Agent Y that another agent has requested an exclusive but you'll be happy to send a full when it expires (if no deal is struck).

Always be upfront. The agent/publishing fraternity is close-knit and their grapevine is active.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto aka eraser. Nothing more can really be said.

SassyB

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto from me. What Eraser said.

SassyB

Registered
Reaction score
Suppose I should also say, I had something similar happen last year and both agents said they appreciated my honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.