Where to find an illustrator for a childrens book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JANE007

I'm Part Of The Problem
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lingoslinger.wordpress.com
If I have a book that I would like to get illustrated, how would I go about it? I'm kind of an artist myself (I paint & i'm into graphic design), however I would not want to illustrate it myself because it doesn't match my style whatsoever. I also have an idea of the "type" of illustration I would like to see.

How does this process work? Please forgive my ignorance!

J007

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
If you submit the book to a publisher and the publisher buys it, they choose and pay the illustrator. If you want it illustrated for your own purposes, you could try a listing on Craigslist or you could check with the art department of a local college.

JANE007

I'm Part Of The Problem
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks! I might just check with the art dept at our local college... that's a great idea! I just feel like the book would have a better chance of being picked up if it was illustrated.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
JANE007 said:
Thanks! I might just check with the art dept at our local college... that's a great idea! I just feel like the book would have a better chance of being picked up if it was illustrated.

No No No. Children's book publishers DO NOT want submissions to be illustrated. There are some past threads here about this.

JANE007

I'm Part Of The Problem
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh really?! They'd prefer to just receive the manuscript alone? Wow, okay. I never would have known that. I guess I just have these images in my head of how the illustrations would look and naturally wanted to convey that. I'm glad you told me that though, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.