How can I make everything relate?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm stuck and wondering if someone can help me.

One of the rules of playwriting is that everything that happens on stage, everything that is said on stage, must happen or be said for a reason. It must relate to the story, I guess.

I'm currently at a point in writing a play where I believe it's necessary to give a bit of background information; primarily to show what the character is like.

My question is this: how can I make this seemingly unrelated slab of dialogue, relate to the main story of the play?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably say to not let a "rule" tie you up needlessly, especially if this is relatively minor. If you need to include the background information, put it in. Just make it as natural a part of the play as you can and don't use the old bit of having another character asking a question that they already know the answer to (even though people actually do so in real life).

bison

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you've thought of two characters discussing the background of the character in question in a conversation?
I do agree with the above about a "rule" becoming a pot-hole in the freeway of playwriting!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm sure you've thought of two characters discussing the background of the character in question in a conversation?

Hi bison,

My only problem with this is that I only have two characters in this piece. So I'm thinking of a conversation between them that's about them and their past (even though it doesn't relate to the current story).

bison

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me. Of course, there is the antiquated "voice over" letting the
audience in on their past.
I've just finished (except for 9,000 re-writes) an unauthorized biography.
I'm having a girl walk across the stage with a sign indicating the year (it covers a half-century) just before the lights come up. I'm thinking of having her in a bikini. Selling sex always works.
Kidding, of course. Hmmm.