Finding a new agent?

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all!
I was elated when I recently signed with an literary agency... however since signing, I've had second thoughts. The agency has an ok reputation (a few negative rumblings around here, but P&E gives them a $)... but since signing, I've had another agent request my MS. In order to break my current contract, I'd have to give 30 days notice.

Is it ethical to send my MS to the second agent without telling them that I'm already signed? My thought is that since it will take a significant amount of time for evaluation from agent #2 (at least 10 weeks, they say), I will have more time to evaluate my current agency... without wasting time getting my book out there!

Thoughts? I don't want to hurt my reputation... but I also don't want to jeopardize my book by having it in the hands of a so-so agency... the second one has a much better track record.

Advice, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Welcome, Peyton! I'm going to move your post over to the Ask the Agent board because the Newbies board is really just for introductions.

Just my personal opinion, I'd say you're OK to send your manuscript to the second agent, but I'd probably write in the cover letter, "I currently have an agent, but am seeking new representation." It's also only fair to let the second agent know if the manuscript has already been shopped by the first agent. It makes the agent look bad if the ms has already been "around the block" and he didn't know it before shopping it.

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Jenna! I appreciate your guidance and redirection! Hopefully I'll hear other people's opinions as well!

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
One more question (can you see why I originally posted on the Newbie board?) If I tell a new agent that "I'm seeking new representation..." will it be assumed that it's because I'm a nightmare client? Or is this fairly standard? I don't want to get a reputation before I'm even published!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks so much!