Has anyone written for "Freelance Home Writers" dot com?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I responded to an online job posting for freelance writers today and got an email back with a link for "Freelance Home Writers." Evidently you pay $2.95 (on special! usually it's a lot more) and then get jobs to write content for blogs and such from $10 to $20 per article.

Link

I've heard of other writers doing this, not necessarily for this company but I've heard there is money to be made writing blogs and articles.

No serious red flags are raising, except their repeated use of "it's" when "its" is correct.

What do you think?

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Mainly the fact that you have to pay to get a job. You should never have to pay someone to get work--instead, it should always be the other way around.

There are plenty of places to look for jobs for free.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
The website also has many "spammy" red flgs, not the least of which is trying to stop you with a popup when you try to leave with a "better offer." It's the online equivalent of a timeshare salesperson bringing in his manager to give you a better deal when you try to escape.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
http://freelancewrite.about.com/
The freelance writing About gal posted about how it's a scam. She said:
The first reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because you can get job listings for free through any number of freelance writing job sites.
The second reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because of the stories told about them automatically debiting your bank account without your permission for the continuing membership rate of $50 per month (an outrageous amount, even for a LEGITIMATE site).
The third reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because reviews of the site say that they are basically just a job re-listing service with absolutely no direct connection to freelance writing jobs.
The fourth reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because it could be really difficult for you to get your $50 back, should you be unfairly charged.
The fifth reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because their multiple domain name registrations under anonymous names makes me wonder what they are trying to hide.
The sixth reason I would not join Freelance Home Writers is because some past members say that they spam you once they get your email.

Freelance Home Writers is not a site that I would join nor recommend to my readers.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Oh, I don't need any more persuasion, believe me. I was convinced seven posts ago.

I checked them out on ripoff report and read the comments left by the people there. All of them said that they paid the $2.95 and got charged the full amount. Interestingly enough, none of them said the company didn't deliver what was promised, which leads me to believe that this company doesn't actually deliver anything. Bizarre.

I had found the listing for "freelance writers needed" online, posted on a local Cincinnati newspaper's classified ad section. I had totally misread the ad, believing it was the newspaper itself seeking freelance writers. So, I applied through that ad and later got that email.

Hey, I'm not thinking 100% clearly due to having to wake up every three hours at night to help either feed the baby or change the baby. Maybe I have some excuse for not recognizing something was wrong. However, I did come on here to check them out before I did anything.

I've heard of people being paid to write blog posts and online articles and have never pursued it before. Being unemployed, I wondered if it were something I could do.

Thanks for all the feedback, though. I appreciate the support.

ETA: Stldenise, I followed that link. The article was written by a woman who has the same exact name as me, only with an "a" at the end.

Last edited:

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
Any ad that's not even written in literate English raises enough flags with me that I steer clear.

jimdun9241

Registered
Reaction score
freelance home writers - scam?

I registered, but did not get a password. Tried to contact them several times. No response. I got a charge of $97 on my bank statement. I disputed it and the bank refunded my money.

jim