PDA

View Full Version : The Five Traits a Woman Should Have Before You Get Serious

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM
You know what this is in response to. Feel free to add your own.

#1 She should have her own goals and direction and not rely on you to be the everything in her life. If she doesn't, she's going to cling to you like a sandspur and smother every bit of life you once had.

#2 She shouldn't whine and cry to get her way. Not only will the sound of her voice eventually make you cringe, you'll wind up going to see chick flicks, shopping for purses, and eating salads at foofoo restaurants.

#3 She doesn't want to change you. Any woman who starts out in the relationship with the idea that she can change you is going to take your friends away, your sports away, and your self esteem (you know what I mean) away.

#4 She should be open and honest from the start. You don't want to be five years into a relationship when you find out about how she paid her way through college as a stripper or anything more than 30 min into it when you learn that the trip to Scandinavia was not to earn foreign study credits.

#5 She should be able to support herself (and you if times get rough). You don't want to be with her if she relied on daddy all her life to support her, get her out of trouble, and make her decisions for her. If she has, you'll wind up paying for it for the rest of your life.

Richard (complaints should be directed to the management)

James81
03-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Heh, I thought this was going to be a BS list for teh funnah.

But that's an excellent list. Good work, chap.

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Heh, I thought this was going to be a BS list for teh funnah.

But that's an excellent list. Good work, chap.

Damn. I was trying to be irreverent.

Richard

MelodyO
03-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Great, this also proves I'm almost the perfect woman. I do depend on my husband to support me and our kids, and in return he gets to run his own business and have a family, neither of which he could do very easily without me. It's a calculated risk on both our parts.

::meanders away to find out what caused this post in the first place::

Joe270
03-11-2009, 10:58 PM
anything more than 30 min into it when you learn that the trip to Scandinavia was not to earn foreign study credits

:roll:

rhymegirl
03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
You don't want to be five years into a relationship when you find out about how she paid her way through college as a stripper...

What's wrong with that?

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
What's wrong with that?

Nothing until you're sitting a bar someday and a guy walks up to your date and tells all about what she did on stage and how great the lapdance was.

Richard

Beach Bunny
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM

#1 She should have her own goals and direction and not rely on you to be the everything in her life. If she doesn't, she's going to cling to you like a sandspur and smother every bit of life you once had.

#2 She shouldn't whine and cry to get her way. Not only will the sound of her voice eventually make you cringe, you'll wind up going to see chick flicks, shopping for purses, and eating salads at foofoo restaurants.

#3 She doesn't want to change you. Any woman who starts out in the relationship with the idea that she can change you is going to take your friends away, your sports away, and your self esteem (you know what I mean) away.

#4 She should be open and honest from the start. You don't want to be five years into a relationship when you find out about how she paid her way through college as a stripper or anything more than 30 min into it when you learn that the trip to Scandinavia was not to earn foreign study credits.

#5 She should be able to support herself (and you if times get rough). You don't want to be with her if she relied on daddy all her life to support her, get her out of trouble, and make her decisions for her. If she has, you'll wind up paying for it for the rest of your life.

Now, where do I find a man who wants a woman like that? :)

rhymegirl
03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Nothing until you're sitting a bar someday and a guy walks up to your date and tells all about what she did on stage and how great the lapdance was.

Richard

Well, it was in the past.

You could just say, "I don't know what you're talking about, buddy. You must have the wrong person."

Smish
03-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Richard

Apparently, she doesn't have student loans, though, so that's in keeping with your standards for #5.

Men... they're unreasonable, aren't they? :)

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Now, where do I find a man who wants a woman like that? :)

Hanging out at the Salvation Army?

Richard

brokenfingers
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
This thread pretty much sums it up nicely:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125667

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:27 PM
#1 independent - clinginess is the kiss of death for me

#2 Can beat the crap out of you but chooses not to

#3 Great sense of humor and not get offended by the silliest things. Self-deprecating is a bonus. Don't be petty -- that's another kiss of death for me.

#4 R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - to self and to others... that includes trust, kindness, and all that

#5 Intelligent - nothing is more boring than a dumb person, no matter how cute she is. At least learn how to carry on a meaningful conversation

#6 Sexy - and I don't mean just beautiful or Playboy bunnies type. I mean the whole shebang: confidence, charisma, openmindedness, knows her body, knows how to use her body, the art of seduction and all that

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:29 PM

Richard

I still don't know how that matters. Sorry, a past is a past, unless she's still a stripper and you have trouble with her career choices now -- then you talk about it, but not outright reject it. I mean, it's no different than meeting her ex-boyfriend and he goes into gory details of what a sex kitten she was with him or finding out she's had 14 relationships before she met you... so what?

Let it go, man.

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 11:30 PM
#6 Sexy - and I don't mean just beautiful or Playboy bunnies type. I mean the whole shebang: confidence, charisma, openmindedness, knows her body, knows how to use her body, the art of seduction and all that

I agree. I'll take the shebang everytime.

Richard

brokenfingers
03-11-2009, 11:31 PM

RichardHmmm, I've dated many strippers and never had this happen. And if any guy had been foolish enough to do that, he'd learn the meaning of the word "tact".

Also, it swings both ways. Guys can have a past their wives don't approve of either but they're expected to leave it in the past. For instance, if he's an infamous womanizer who's well known locally.

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Also, it swings both ways. Guys can have a past their wives don't approve of either but they're expected to leave it in the past. For instance, if he's an infamous womanizer who's well known locally.

Or a male stripper who worked at gay clubs on the weekends.

It think people put too much emphasis on the past. If I want to date a saint, Mother Teresa isn't available.

James81
03-11-2009, 11:37 PM
What's wrong with that?

9 times out of 10 they tend to be batshit crazy and have a whole list of unresolved issues that drove them to do it in the first place.

cray
03-11-2009, 11:37 PM

#3 Great sense of humor and not get offended by the silliest things. Self-deprecating is a bonus. Don't be petty -- that's another kiss of death for me.

#4 R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - to self and to others... that includes trust, kindness, and all that

#5 Intelligent - nothing is more boring than a dumb person, no matter how cute she is. At least learn how to carry on a meaningful conversation

qw repped me to ask about #5.
he's not clear on what that means?

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I still don't know how that matters. Sorry, a past is a past, unless she's still a stripper and you have trouble with her career choices now -- then you talk about it, but not outright reject it. I mean, it's no different than meeting her ex-boyfriend and he goes into gory details of what a sex kitten she was with him or finding out she's had 14 relationships before she met you... so what?

Let it go, man.

Would you still feel the same way if I had said 'Street prostitute'?

Richarde

dpaterso
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Would you still feel the same way if I had said 'Street prostitute'?
Man, this could'a been a funny thread! But they always go nose down after a short time.

-Derek

Toothpaste
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I'd like to add one to the guy list but it was inspired from this one.

#Whatever - A guy who understands that despite the unfortunate title "Chick Flick" there can still be some quality films that get shoved under that moniker and who is confident enough in his sexuality and self to be able to admit to liking said films instead of disrespecting an entire genre based on its poorest examples.

Seriously, there is nothing sexier than a guy who isn't keen on supporting gender stereotypes.

ETA: I should add that aside from the Chick Flick reference, I think both lists posted are very awesome and I wholeheartedly agree.

Wayne K
03-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm calling shenanigans because it doesn't mention avatars.

Wayne K
03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Or a male stripper who worked at gay clubs on the weekends.

I've done that and I've worked at womens clubs, and I think it should go in the plus column.

Anyone who thinks strippers are idiots don't know that these women are taking home a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand dollars a night. They go home with a unrequited woody and have to explain where the paycheck went. Uh-huh.

James81
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
#Whatever - A guy who understands that despite the unfortunate title "Chick Flick" there can still be some quality films that get shoved under that moniker and who is confident enough in his sexuality and self to be able to admit to liking said films instead of disrespecting an entire genre based on its poorest examples.

I like sort of the opposite thing about girls. A girl who is into geeky movies is a turn on. But ONLY if she is really into them. There's nothing more horrid and more of a turn off than a girl who pretends to like guy things just because she knows that's what guys like.

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I've done that and I've worked at womens clubs, and I think it should go in the plus column.

A man who knows what women want.

Richard

Soccer Mom
03-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I like sort of the opposite thing about girls. A girl who is into geeky movies is a turn on. But ONLY if she is really into them. There's nothing more horrid and more of a turn off than a girl who pretends to like guy things just because she knows that's what guys like.

I like sports and action flicks. In that order. But I'm taken. :D

James81
03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I like sports and action flicks. In that order. But I'm taken. :D

Heh, I'm not into sports all that much anyway. I'd rather play them than watch them. I love to play sports, but the only sport I can really watch is basketball and an occasional football game.

brokenfingers
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't see why we should limit it to five.

James81
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't see why we should limit it to five.

I know. Seven seems like a better number to limit stuff to.

Seaclusion
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Heh, I'm not into sports all that much anyway. I'd rather play them than watch them. I love to play sports, but the only sport I can really watch is basketball and an occasional football game.

How about Women's Beach Volleyball?

Richard

James81
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
How about Women's Beach Volleyball?

Richard

Only on mute.

Seaclusion
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Only on mute.

True. They moan and groan, but not in the right way

Richard

Soccer Mom
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I'll watch any sports but golf. Soccer Dad is on his own with that one.

Mela
03-12-2009, 12:11 AM
9 times out of 10 they tend to be batshit crazy and have a whole list of unresolved issues that drove them to do it in the first place.

Yes, they never seem to be as well balanced as Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman ---
a hooker, but bolsters the point, nonetheless

I am of course, all of these ... the perfect mate to my man.
Even though we often joke that I'm the worst wife ever ...

Devil Ledbetter
03-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm calling shenanigans because it doesn't mention avatars.As a general rule, the sexier the avatar, the uglier she is IRL.

Except for Inky.

DeleyanLee
03-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Hmmm. See, my sister did that stripping thing. Her boyfriend-then-husband got her into it. It was a BIG turn-on for him, so she said, to have all those other guys oogling her while she was working. It was also the best money she made in her life. To my knowledge, none of her clients, even her regulars, ever acknowledged her in public.

As for the Scandinavia thing--that's something my ex-husband is doing, but s/he's very upfront about it with anyone s/he dates.

Funny world, eh?

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
As a general rule, the sexier the avatar, the uglier she is IRL.

Except for Inky.

I'm gonna have to throw brainstorm and Scarlet Peaches in with Inky.
Eta: Oh, and me.

cray
03-12-2009, 12:31 AM

*pulls wayne out of the pot*

*douses the rest with oil*
:D

Devil Ledbetter
03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Eta: Oh, and me.I forgot OFG in there too. My bad.

Your av is indeed hot, but you're a guy ... um, right?

Toothpaste
03-12-2009, 12:49 AM

Than you and me gots to talk. I ain't only into geeky movies, I'm a correspondent for a website called Hardcore Nerdity (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/). ;)

Fact is, a good movie is a good movie, and I just wish people would keep the whole gender thing out of it.

rhymegirl
03-12-2009, 12:50 AM

Your generalization is that most strippers are crazy?

Stripping pays big bucks. We have ads in the paper all the time for strippers or pole dancers for a downtown night spot. It pays about $2500 a weekend. When you think about it, if a woman needed money for college, that would be an easy way to get it. And legal. Just because she's stripping doesn't mean she's having sex with the guys.

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 01:07 AM

You couldn't be more wrong about this. The real issue is the paycheck and the crazy one is the guy going home broke who didn't have sex. The patrons of a strip bar are the crazy ones.

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Just because she's stripping doesn't mean she's having sex with the guys.

She does get one demerit from me though.

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I forgot OFG in there too. My bad.

Your av is indeed hot, but you're a guy ... um, right?

Yes, but since lesbians liike me for some damned reason I thought I'd throw myself onto the pile and see if someone salutes it.

Eta: or if it salutes them.

maestrowork
03-12-2009, 01:17 AM
The patrons of a strip bar are the crazy ones.

Considering it's $25 per song and 10 songs minimum, and you didn't even get to touch them -- yeah, there's a loose screw somewhere. Of course, that's only for lap dances. If you're just drinking at the bar, it's not so bad.

But you and Rhymegirl are correct. It's all cash and if you've got it, flaunt it and you can make a lot of cash really quickly. Student loan? Why bother?

James81
03-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Than you and me gots to talk. I ain't only into geeky movies, I'm a correspondent for a website called Hardcore Nerdity (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/). ;)

Fact is, a good movie is a good movie, and I just wish people would keep the whole gender thing out of it.

Hahaha...I think it's time to admit you have a problem.

(right click > add to favorites)

Your generalization is that most strippers are crazy?

Yes.

Stripping pays big bucks. We have ads in the paper all the time for strippers or pole dancers for a downtown night spot. It pays about $2500 a weekend. When you think about it, if a woman needed money for college, that would be an easy way to get it. And legal. Just because she's stripping doesn't mean she's having sex with the guys.

It's not the act of stripping that makes a stripper crazy. Who cares if she wants to take her clothes off for money? It's the environment of stripping, over enough time, that makes them crazy. At least that's my theory.

maestrowork
03-12-2009, 01:21 AM
At least that's my theory.

There's your problem. Maybe you need to know some strippers, outside of the strip clubs, as real people...

James81
03-12-2009, 01:22 AM
There's your problem. Maybe you need to know some strippers, outside of the strip clubs, as real people...

I've known a few strippers (mostly in my college days), and I'm basing most of my opinion on my interactions with them.

scarletpeaches
03-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Well, it was in the past.

You could just say, "I don't know what you're talking about, buddy. You must have the wrong person."

Word.

God forbid a woman should have a past, right? She should stay a virgin 'til marriage. :rolleyes:

scarletpeaches
03-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Why thank you. :D Just for that, I'll let your 'stripper/demerit' remark pass.

Send a true likeness of yourself by email and I'll have your marks-out-of-ten to you by return of post.

James81
03-12-2009, 01:49 AM
She should stay a virgin 'til marriage. :rolleyes:

Yes, we should definately bring this back and then institute "prima nocta."

maestrowork
03-12-2009, 01:50 AM
I've known a few strippers (mostly in my college days), and I'm basing most of my opinion on my interactions with them.

And I bet you were quite a charmer in college as well.

Pagey's_Girl
03-12-2009, 01:58 AM
There's nothing more horrid and more of a turn off than a girl who pretends to like guy things just because she knows that's what guys like.

I had a friend like that once - after awhile I started think of her as "The Magic Slate." She'd make herself over into the "perfect girlfriend" for each new boyfriend. After a couple of rounds of watching it, I wanted to throw up.

Although if a guy I like is really into something, I will make an effort to at the very least learn a little about it, even if I find out it's not my thing. It's only fair. :)

(BTW, I was almost afraid to look at this thread, but you guys are - well, way cool.)

James81
03-12-2009, 01:59 AM
And I bet you were quite a charmer in college as well.

Ha ah, I was married for most of my college years, so I was more miserable than anything else. :D

Sweetleaf
03-12-2009, 03:38 AM
I agree with this list. In fact, I am this list.

No wonder I can't get rid of my husband...

Oh, and BTW, the whiny, clingy, needy, demanding women piss me off too.

Mr Flibble
03-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Oh, and BTW, the whiny, clingy, needy, demanding women piss me off too.

Me too - my mates wife is like that - he can't even nip for a pint with a mate for half an hour, be ten minutes late home from work and it starts.

Poor bastard. worrying about stuff is her hobby, and his job is to reassure her. *confused as to how this is happy*

Me, I tell my hubby to 'bugger off out to the pub so I can get some writing done!'

Devil Ledbetter
03-12-2009, 04:07 AM
It's the victim types that are the worst, IMO.

DL Hegel
03-12-2009, 04:30 AM

Does that mean she can go out drinking 'till 4am and pass out on the couch smelling like vodka and vomit?

Do chick flicks include horror movies and does comic book shopping count as shopping? Are potato skins considered a salad?

#3 She doesn't want to change you. Any woman who starts out in the
relationship with the idea that she can change you is going to take your friends away, your sports away, and your self esteem (you know what I mean) away.
Is curling really a sport?

Does jello wrestling count as a legitimate
sport?

#5 She should be able to support herself (and you if times get rough). You don't want to be with her if she relied on daddy all her life to support her, get her out of trouble, and make her decisions for her. If she has, you'll wind up
paying for it for the rest of your life.
How about if she asks for bail money for her brothers---but only if they really need it?

It just left me with questions?

Seaclusion
03-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Quote:

Does that mean she can go out drinking 'till 4am and pass out on the couch smelling like vodka and vomit?
Only if she showers and gargles before demanding sex

Quote:
Do chick flicks include horror movies and does comic book shopping count as shopping? Are potato skins considered a salad?
Chick flicks are horror movies and potato skins are one of the four basic food groups. Beer, pretzels, and chicken wings are the other three.

Quote:
Is curling really a sport?
Not if it has something to do with rollers and hair.

Quote:
Does jello wrestling count as a legitimate
sport?
Sport, It's a lifestyle

Quote:
How about if she asks for bail money for her brothers---but only if they really need it?
As long as she will bail my brothers out too.

Richard

James81
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Chick flicks are horror movies

Damn, you just lost all your credibility with me. I will now shun you for a period of no less than 6 minutes.

C.bronco
03-15-2009, 06:41 AM

#1 She should have her own kegerator.

#2 She shouldn't whine and cry to get her way. She should administer ribs and beer.

#3 She doesn't want to change you. Any woman who starts out in the relationship with the idea that she can change you is delusional.

#4 She should be open and honest from the start. You don't want to be five years into a relationship when you find out about how she paid her way through college as a stripper or anything more than 30 min into it when you learn that the trip to Scandinavia was not to earn foreign study credits. (How does the first example compare to the 2nd?)

#5 She should be able to support herself (and you if times get rough). You don't want to be with her if she relied on daddy all her life to support her, get her out of trouble, and make her decisions for her. If she has, you'll wind up paying for it for the rest of your life. I can't amend that one.

Richard (complaints should be directed to the management directly at www.STFU.com) (http://www.STFU.com))

All good advice, Sea; it's applicable to both sexes. As we are older and wiser, strength of character plays a bigger role. So does access to a well-seasoned and tender rack of ribs, perhaps some nice chicken piccata, or a fiinely executed creme brulee.

Yeshanu
03-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Too bad for you that I prefer women, eh? :tongue

Sirion
03-15-2009, 09:19 AM
If my wife-to-be was ever a stripper, that sounds like something I should know before I marry her. Don't spring stuff out on me at the last minute. It probably wouldn't change anything, but I don't want to be left in the dark about it.

If I was stripping, I'd tell her. Not that anyone would want to see that. O_O

Cassiopeia
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Huh.

I'd like to know what this was in response to because without knowing my responses could be out of place.

I will say this, I'm all that AND a packet of chips and in one way or another I've been leaned on too heavily by men. And you know what, its not cool. No one should be a burden to another person. Whether its monetarily or emotionally.

And boy howdy, what ever happened to compatibility being more than what the other person wants and how about what both people want. For example: I'm pretty tired of organizing my life around everyone else.

so give me the damn remote, I've got shows I'd like to watch.

*looks around*

Oh hey...sorry for the rant. :D

Oh wait, one more thing...I'd like to meet the man who doesn't find my intelligence, drive and life experience intimidating.

C.bronco
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Huh.

so give me the damn remote, I've got shows I'd like to watch.

C.bronco has exclusive rights to the remote on race day. I also reserve the right to turn the volume up to 100 when the Grand Marshall says, "Gentlemen! Start your engines!" and when D.W. says, on the first lap, "Boogity Boogity Boogity! Let's Go Racin' Boys!"

That is my only tv-oriented requirement. :D

Cassiopeia
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
C.bronco has exclusive rights to the remote on race day. I also reserve the right to turn the volume up to 100 when the Grand Marshall says, "Gentlemen! Start your engines!" and when D.W. says, on the first lap, "Boogity Boogity Boogity! Let's Go Racin' Boys!"

That is my only tv-oriented requirement. :Doh my heck, I use my dvr to program my shows so I can watch them when no one else wants the TV. That's just how nice I am. My son snapped at me for making him go to bed at 10 last night after three hours of playing Halo online. I got so annoyed. Mostly at me, I'm still arranging my schedule around others. grrrrrrr

Sweetleaf
03-16-2009, 09:58 PM
oh my heck, I use my dvr to program my shows so I can watch them when no one else wants the TV. That's just how nice I am. My son snapped at me for making him go to bed at 10 last night after three hours of playing Halo online. I got so annoyed. Mostly at me, I'm still arranging my schedule around others. grrrrrrr

I know how you feel, but my hubby's been working night's for the last few months, so I get the remote all to myself.

Rock on Antiques Roadshow! :hooray: