Video Trailers for Books

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Has anyone made a video trailer for their books? I've started working on one using Windows Movie Maker and while it's pretty intuitive it's also got some frustrating limitations.

Any advice on how you went about making a trailer? If you've seen book trailers, what did you like or dislike about them? Did you actually buy the book?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
check out the marketing geniuses behind malcolm gladwell (and my thread on this very topic!):

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123564

i think it's already been well established that i'm a shameless self promoter, so there's no reason to mention it again.

but you can feel free to compliment and thank me for this.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I thank and compliment you, Bravo. But I was thinking more along the lines of home made trailers intended for YouTube, not professionally made ones for TV.

If you type in "book trailer" in YouTube you'll find hundreds of them, most of which are pretty low quality. I'm wondering if the quality of the trailer is a deterrent or if people get hooked despite the low video production values.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My first thought was that it could be tacky, as I've seen some tacky trailers before. So no, I didn't like the trailers I've seen, and I didn't buy the book they advertised (well, the reason also is that I didn't like the book's premise. :) )

However, in truth, I think it can be a very effective promotional tool, but like everything else (book covers, websites, etc.), it should be done right. I do think the trailers should have a different focus than advertising for other visual media: TV, movies, video games, music videos, etc. while following the similar visual concepts. Books are more cerebral -- so we can't market it like a video game -- and you also won't have actual materials (such as screen shots of a movie or video game) to use as part of the trailer.

The problems I've seen with the other trailers are that they're too abstract and textual. Just because you're selling a book doesn't mean it should be textual slide show. "Show vs. tell" still applies here, but with books it's more difficult since, like I said, you don't usually have the actual visual materials to work with. But IMO, if you're going to cross medium -- doing a trailer for a book -- you may as well go all out with it. Get some stock footage. Shoot some video on your own. Get a soundtrack, etc. etc. Storyboard the thing.

That's what I'm doing -- I'm building a soundtrack for my novel and collecting stock video footage. Not that I'm going to make a trailer... I have no idea where I'm going with this WIP at this point, but at least it gives me creative ideas....