A real fantasy question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
If you could have Peter Jackson direct your movie, or Howard Shore score the movie, which would you choose, if you couldn't have both?

Yes, I'm jumping way ahead of myself careerwise, but up until two weeks ago, it was Peter Jackson. But Shore's soundtrack to LOTR is the closest thing to an audio fantasy.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure, not being a movie buff - I've never watched a Star Wars movie, but let's keep quiet about that.

I think if I was ever so wildly fortunate as to have someone say "hey, your book would really work as a movie" I'd like it to be people just out of, or maybe not out of, film school. Low budget, innovative, funky, providing a different take on my imagined world and not necessarily massaging it to appeal to box office first and foremost.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. If it's a vote - Peter Jackson.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Peter Jackson hands down, for me. But actually, if I had the luck I'd easily settle for Alex Proyas. Loved Dark City.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Oh. I always imagined my novel filmed by Ridley Scot with music by Hans Zimmer.

However, in answer to the original choice: Peter Jackson because I could rely on him to pick a decent composer.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
I'd always imagined a Danny Elfman score for my works.

However, Shore or Zimmer would also do nicely.

This is, of course, all speculative as it's not very likely I'll get any of 'em! If I had to choose between Peter Jackson and Howard Shore, I'd go with Peter Jackson and count myself very lucky that I had to make such choices.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I think Spielburg could do a good job with my story, but he tends to lean to dark stories for some reason. It's not that my story isn't dark, but it has a lot of light too. I'd prefer someone who would balance them.

I didn't like A.I, or the Tom Cruise Sci Fi. Well, I should clarify that. They were interesting, but in a way that leaves you feeling terribly sad, rather than gratified.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see what Peter Jackson does with King Kong before I base a vote on him. Howard Shore's good, but there's a handful of other great composers out there who have beautiful scores.

I think I'd be foremost concerned with the sceenwriter adapting the novel rather than the director. Actually, I'm absolutely loving Paul Haggis right now, who wrote Million Dollar Baby (an adaptation) and wrote and directed Crash (his own). He's got a talent for character-oriented scripts, and that's what my story is more based on, rather than big action like Peter Jackson's works.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
After seeing how PJ mutilated Tolkien, I wouldn't trust him to make a movie out of The Little Engine That Could. :mad: But I would certainly like to have the Weta Workshop and the rest of the support people, and Mr. Shore writes lovely music (even if parts of the LOTR soudtrack sound like something from Braveheart).

Lenora Rose

Renaissance Vixen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lenorarose.com
I'd want to be directed by Hayao Miyazaki, which would almost certainly net me the lovely Joe Hisaishi score.

Though, if limited to the original two choices, I'd take Howard Shore -- because I think he could pull off a superb score based on the sources I would cite, based on the way he integrated some of the odder items into his current score (Hardanger fiddle and choral voices). Because depending which story it was, I'd want a score inspired by either English folk ballads or Nordic singing styles (North American and/or European Nordic, really, though it was the latter I was thinking of first).
Peter Jackson's good, but his focus is on the wrong details. I don't want Tumbling skulls where I expected drama.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
of the two, i'd opt for jackson.

depending one which story i'd choose to make a movie, i'd probably otherwise go with ridley scott and danny elfman if i couldn't get john williams (who only writes memorable music for anything other than star wars anymore-- d'oh! c'mon, the theme to harry potter was perfect for that movie).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'd get down on my knees and beg John Williams do the score. He can sound repetitious, but every 3rd movie or so he comes up with something that sticks in your mind for days, weeks, months...

I know this is offbeat (and I've written a horror novel) but I'm leaning toward Silent Bob. He was the only director (IMO) who could make Ben Affleck *act*. Also what he did with Dogma gets my vote for my writing.

(But I did like the LOTR choices)

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know who would be the best at turning a book into a movie.

I didn't like Stanley Kubrick (Sp?) although he was considered a genius. There was just something depression about his portrayals. Most "for t.v" fantasies have turned me off. I thought Merlin and Hercules paid way too much time on "Fantastical" but predictable effects, and didn't spend nearly enough time on plots and character development. In these cases, the major networks had the budgets, but not the formula.

I didn't see all of "Earthsea". I didn't like the beginning, but liked much of the middle, and still need to see the end. My feelings on Earthsea, was "Why not invest, and go all the way". Some parts of it were well constructed. A few parts were lacking. In the beginning of the story, they had way too little cast to give it the feel of "realness" it needed, and I think the show suffered, only because of "Budget".

Likewise, I think "The Thirteenth Warrior," had lots of well done parts, but way too small a cast for what could have been a great epic story. I liked much of the story, except for the ending, which I think they tried to tie up way to fast, and sloppy.

So, I can't say it's "The directors" in some cases, but trying to make a movie with too small of a budget. And really dark stories need a director that brings in some light. I think Spielburg went too dark with AI and ???

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Jackson would find my stuff interesting enough to film--not enough fighting or gore. It's funny, because I do love a well-filmed battle scene (the ones in LotR were great, and I thought the recently released Kingdom of Heaven scenes were good too--can't remember the director of that one), but I don't like to read battles. They get very boring. I don't write heroic fantasy so I don't have to write battles, thank goodness.

Anyway, I would trust Jackson to adapt any book of mine well and do a good job with the special effects. I know a lot of people hate his adaptation of LotR, but considering the complexity of the books I thought he did a very creditable job. Who's the director of the third Harry Potter movie? I'd trust him with my books too since he actually made that particular volume better as a movie than I thought it was as a book (to me the third HP book is the weakest).

But I do love Howard Shore. Some of his themes are so good they give me chills, and he knows how to effectively use them as both a movie score and as good solid music.

Wow, wouldn't it be nice to REALLY have this dilemma? I don't ever see film rights being optioned for any of my stuff--but it would be nice.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Saanen said:
I don't think Jackson would find my stuff interesting enough to film--not enough fighting or gore. It's funny, because I do love a well-filmed battle scene (the ones in LotR were great, and I thought the recently released Kingdom of Heaven scenes were good too--can't remember the director of that one), but I don't like to read battles. They get very boring. I don't write heroic fantasy so I don't have to write battles, thank goodness.

Anyway, I would trust Jackson to adapt any book of mine well and do a good job with the special effects. I know a lot of people hate his adaptation of LotR, but considering the complexity of the books I thought he did a very creditable job. Who's the director of the third Harry Potter movie? I'd trust him with my books too since he actually made that particular volume better as a movie than I thought it was as a book (to me the third HP book is the weakest).

But I do love Howard Shore. Some of his themes are so good they give me chills, and he knows how to effectively use them as both a movie score and as good solid music.

Wow, wouldn't it be nice to REALLY have this dilemma? I don't ever see film rights being optioned for any of my stuff--but it would be nice.

I love to dream.

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Nateskate said:
If you could have Peter Jackson direct your movie, or Howard Shore score the movie, which would you choose, if you couldn't have both?

Yes, I'm jumping way ahead of myself careerwise, but up until two weeks ago, it was Peter Jackson. But Shore's soundtrack to LOTR is the closest thing to an audio fantasy.

Depends on which book of mine is selected for this process.

Any of the currently in print stuff, I would go with Jackson or Somers.

But there are a couple I would prefer to turn over to Tim Burton. :)

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I'd pick Jackson, because that would pretty much guarantee a greenlight, and I'd get the step payments in my contract.

:)

Besides, unlike Vomaxx, I liked what he did with LOTR. And Heavenly Creatures was fab.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
That's a tough question. I think I'd pick Shore to score. The soundtrack for a movie is more emotional a decision than how it's directed, IMO. I don't have the film-business smarts to make a directing decision, so I'd have to follow my heart.

Eric Summers

Apply Directly to Forehead
Registered
Reaction score
I'd get Michael Moore to direct "Sauron and Me".

Seriously though, I agree with the poster who said Miyazaki. I would love to write something that could be made into an anime feature.

If I were doing a live action drama, I would want it to be scored by Danny Elfman, directed by Ridley Scott. Although "Legend" wasn't that great in the story and acting department, the imagery in the film was worth the cost of admission.

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
James Horner can single-handedly take a perfectly mediocre movie and turn it into an unwatchable pile of glurge.

I'll go with my WIP directed by Jane Campion with music by Black Heart Procession. Yeah, light and frothy ball o' fun my book is, you bet.

Stupid book.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh golly, Peter Jackson. I can definitely see my first being picked up by Hollywood. Hopefully soon. You never know, right? I won't be too worried about who's directing though...I doubt I'll be the one picking the director. I do sometimes try and cast the movie, though. I see someone in a movie and say, "Now she'd be a good Tolian." Or, "He'd be a good Tolian." (Um, yeah, Tolian starts the story as a guy and ends up a girl.)

diana

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
zornhau said:
I wanted the Gladiator team making the movie of my book but

Didn't you like Gladiator then?

You'd have to get Russel Crow in your film. I saw an interview with him, and the Gladiator team flew at times by the seat of their pants. Some of the best lines were Russel Crow's improvisations. "What do you think of...?" "Oh, yeah. Say it like that."

However, I loved the movie, and whether that managment style works for other films is up for debate, but it worked there very well.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Who's the director of the third Harry Potter movie? I'd trust him with my books

Alfonso Cuaron. He directed Y tu mama tambien, which made it into an American release. He's got a handful of films in the works, including the novel-to-movie adaptation of The Life of Pi (which, curiously enough, was originally stated to be a M. Night Shamalyan film).

I'd trust him too. He has a talent for sticking to and highlighting the true themes of a story, especially if they're darker tones.

trebuchet

Hurls Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
I can't count the number of movies that have been destroyed for me by passionless soundtracks. If I weren't allowed to write my own, (and I probably wouldn't be) then yes, Howard Shore by miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.