Niffenegger's second novel sells -$5m

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Audrey Niffenegger, author of the Time Traveler's Wife, just sold her new book for $5 million to Simon & Schuster Scribner.

That is a nice chunk of change.

Who said the publishing biz was dead?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I read this in The New York Times and it seems a bit of a surprise to me, considering the economic situation and all.

Publishers are taking less risks, so I'm guessing Scribner are pretty sure this one is going to sell and exceed the advance.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
$5 million? I think someone is betting the farm.... I hope it's a good book and make lots of money, and not like Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moon, which also got a huge advance but performed relatively poorly... That wouldn't be good for her if that happened...

I agree that it's really risky, especially in this economy, and for a second book.

Sometimes lightning just doesn't strike twice.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That article did mention Frazier's book flopping. What is it with second novels?

Expectations. Pressure.

Sometimes getting that outrageously successful "debut" is a curse.

Part of me is envious, but part of me is glad that I'm not her. Can't handle that pressure.

On the other hand, she's had more than 6 years to write this book... so maybe it's really good (although Frazier also spent like 10 years writing Thirteen Moons, and it flopped).

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ok, so the trick is to not aim for an outrageously successful first novel?

Well, probably... I don't know. Khaled Hosseini did excellently with A Thousand Splendid Suns, but seems like it still wasn't as popular as The Kite Runner.

Amy Tan, I think, never quite achieved the success of Joy Luck Club with her later books.

Then again, JK Rowling did marvelously, and Stephen King followed the success of Carrie with Salem's Lot.

Who knows? But $5M for a second book is an awful lot of pressure. I can't say I really envy her, although I do envy her bank account.

para

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't JK & SK more commercial fiction than the other two? Niffenegger is more literary isn't she? I liked the premise and execution of the first book. The second book doesn't sound that new/genre/boundary breaking. Good luck to her. I wouldn't mind her bank balance but I don't think I would ever want a large advance. Too much pressure to earn it out.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Wow a jump from a 100k advance to 4.8 mill. 0.0 I really hope she sells out her advance, because that kind of pressure would make my head asplode.

(not that I wouldn't take the money and run - $4.8 million is a hell of a lot of Rands.)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
There was a big big sale here in Canada this year. Damn, I wish I could remember the author and the book. Damn, damn. Anyway...it was someone out west and the book tanked and it was a record breaking advance.

But...I'm sure this book will sell big-time. Just look at her first book.

illiterwrite...if you're around, I know you know what book I'm talking about. The one your agent spoke about at your place. ???

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
$5 million? I think someone is betting the farm.... I hope it's a good book and make lots of money, and not like Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moon, which also got a huge advance but performed relatively poorly... That wouldn't be good for her if that happened...

I agree that it's really risky, especially in this economy, and for a second book.

Sometimes lightning just doesn't strike twice.

I think you're right.

Because in reading the premise of her second book, it just doesn't seem all that interesting to me. I mean, she wrote The Time Traveler's Wife BRILLIANTLY, but that's because it was a great premise.

I'm sure her writing is good with this one too, but I'm not sold on the premise of this book. It doesn't have the same draw as time travel does.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
There was a big big sale here in Canada this year. Damn, I wish I could remember the author and the book. Damn, damn. Anyway...it was someone out west and the book tanked and it was a record breaking advance.

But...I'm sure this book will sell big-time. Just look at her first book.

illiterwrite...if you're around, I know you know what book I'm talking about. The one your agent spoke about at your place. ???

I'm not illiterwrite (and I don't play her on tv), but based on that description, I'm going to guess Andrew Davidson, for The Gargoyle...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm not illiterwrite (and I don't play her on tv), but based on that description, I'm going to guess Andrew Davidson, for The Gargoyle...

Damn straight. That's it. I guessed that you might know too...but I knew she would know. Thanks. I tried google, but couldn't come up with anything. It was a huge advance for a tanked book, was it not? I can't remember the figures either.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It was $1.2M. Now, how did it sell?

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting object lesson, The Gargoyle.

The 1.25 million was the US part of the deal; sales in other markets (including Canada) amounted to about another 1.25.

The book was a disaster in the US -- no sales, some high profile scathing reviews.
BUT, in Canada, the book was actually a success -- strong (though not huge) sales, a mix of reviews. It's one of those cases of reduced expectations, perhaps. The Canadian deal was big, but not huge, so expectations were set accordingly. There was lots of marketing, and you couldn't have gotten more media, and the book did just fine.

The unfortunate thing is, the fact that the book was a commercial letdown in the US is becoming the received wisdom, which isn't fair to the book, the author, or to what actually happened.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ah, maybe illiterwrite's agent was discussing the US side of the deal then. I know it was discussed as a book that didn't meet its expectations.

Last edited:

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
My.
Good for Niffenegger.
I was reading an article about a 5m advance a year or two ago...for a novel due now. The book is not going to be released on schedule and the article was having fun w/ that. The writer's last book did wonderfully--big hit---and garnered the 5m advance for this late book. I felt for the writer over the article's speculation. Pressure, pressure.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Re: The Gargoyle. I remember my family sitting around crying with laughter at the description of the book, it was just that ludicrous. I couldn't believe the advance he got. Not that I'm bitter OMG.

As for Niffenegger, I loved TTTW a ridiculous amount, will pay to see the movie, and will pay to read her next book. Good or bad as it may be, I'm going to reward her so she'll keep writing. Yep, I'm a fangirl. :) Now, what percentage of her advance will I be earning back for her?

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
Re: The Gargoyle. I remember my family sitting around crying with laughter at the description of the book, it was just that ludicrous. I couldn't believe the advance he got.

Hmm.

Funny how one's mileage varies.

I found it to be a stunning book -- great narrative voice, great writing, genuinely affecting... Easily one of the three best books I read last year (out of some 180 or so total...).

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I think this shows the power of a good premise.

I can easily see this being a good movie and that may be what Scribner is banking on. If it does become a successful movie, they'll easily make their money back. When books-to-movies come out, sales usually skyrocket.

Last edited:

eforest

Registered
Reaction score
What I don't understand is the Dis on genre. I like genre. Whats wrong with genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.