Coffee Withdrawal???? WTF????

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A while back I tried to stop drinking coffee and for two days I had the worst headache.... Needless to say I'm back to drinking it again. Has anyone else experienced this?:tongue

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, pretty normal reaction.

It's the caffeine you're addicted to.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yup. if you 'cut back slowly', the headache shouldn't bother you, though.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, if you really want to cut down, start mixing in half decaf. Do that for a few days, then go to three quarters. After a few days go to straight decak (which still has a little caffeine.)

Then you can quit.

And pick it up again at your leisure.

Personally, I like coffee too much, so I just drink half-caff now.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if you really want to cut down, start mixing in half decaf. Do that for a few days, then go to three quarters. After a few days go to straight decak (which still has a little caffeine.)

Then you can quit.

And pick it up again at your leisure.

Personally, I like coffee too much, so I just drink half-caff now.

You know, they should have a quit smoking program just like that with cigarettes.

Not things like patches and pills, but actual cigarettes that you smoke until the nicotine content is zilch.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
A while back I tried to stop drinking coffee and for two days I had the worst headache.... Needless to say I'm back to drinking it again. Has anyone else experienced this?:tongue

When I started Atkins this happened to me. It's your body going through withdrawls basically. A few days is all it should last, then you should feel better. The interesting thing, once I was off coffee, I started dreaming.

Oh, I ditched Atkins after 2 weeks. Managed to stay off coffee for a little longer, but damn it, I love the stuff.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
When I started Atkins this happened to me. It's your body going through withdrawls basically. A few days is all it should last, then you should feel better. The interesting thing, once I was off coffee, I started dreaming.

Oh, I ditched Atkins after 2 weeks. Managed to stay off coffee for a little longer, but damn it, I love the stuff.

I went through the same thing when I tried to start flossing. I would get these headaches and suddenly I realized that it was because I started flossing. I quickly quit that shit and have been fine ever since.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score

I did atkins but stayed on the coffee it didn't effect my weight loss. I did loss alot of weight but when I went off it gained half of it back.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH YEAH BABY. Major withdrawl when I don't get caffeine. blinding headaches. not good. I joke that coffee is cheaper than anti depressants, too.

I also noticed I started drinking coffee in earnest when I cut back on cocacola. :)

Jen what you say about cutting coffee and starting to dream is interesting. I was having trouble sleeping and started cutting caffeine off in the afternoon, only having caffiene in the mornings, and I started sleeping better. It is probably something to do with that.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
If I don't get my coffee, I'm liable to kill someone . Seriously.

One time, my husband bought decaf by mistake and I didn't realize it until later that day when I started to feel really weird. I mean like REALLY WEIRD. Even bitchier than usual (and that's sayin' something). I thought I was losing my mind until I opened the closet for something and found the coffee can. Whew.

Ever since, I double check what he's bought. :D

Now, I double check

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Was it Tim Hortons coffee? I stop drinking that and I get a headache. I have 2 a day.

I'm seriously addicted. Tried many times to quit.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Jen what you say about cutting coffee and starting to dream is interesting. I was having trouble sleeping and started cutting caffeine off in the afternoon, only having caffiene in the mornings, and I started sleeping better. It is probably something to do with that.

I read/or was told that you start dreaming because on the caffeine your brain is pretty much .... what's the word I'm looking for.... basically when you free your body of the caffeine, your brain works again, while you're asleep. So, coffee = no brain activity while you're asleep, no coffee = sweet dreams. Or something.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
see my sig. :D

No more than 2 cups a day, mind. I had a third cup this morning and was bouncing off the walls, now I've crashed and would love to crawl under my desk and go to sleep.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I read/or was told that you start dreaming because on the caffiene your brain is pretty much .... what's the word I'm looking for.... basically when you free your body of the caffiene, your brain works again, while you're asleep. So, coffee = no brain activity while you're asleep, no coffee = sweet dreams. Or something.

but. but. but. I dream. of coffee.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
One time, my husband bought decaf by mistake and I didn't realize it until later that day when I started to feel really weird. I mean like REALLY WEIRD. Even bitchier than usual (and that's sayin' something).

Should have seen me on Atkins. Imagine, no caffeine and no carbs? Sheesh.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Why, just the other decade I had a dream about...um...er...uh. Oh noes. Maybe it's a good time to give it up?