PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Withdrawal???? WTF????

brainstorm77
03-10-2009, 11:55 PM
A while back I tried to stop drinking coffee and for two days I had the worst headache.... Needless to say I'm back to drinking it again. Has anyone else experienced this?:tongue

James81
03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Heh, pretty normal reaction.

It's the caffeine you're addicted to.

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Heh, pretty normal reaction.

It's the caffeine you're addicted to.

Easier just to drink and enjoy it :D

James81
03-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Easier just to drink and enjoy it :D

Word.

I think you should drink twice as much to compensate for the time you lost those 2 days.

DL Hegel
03-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Coffee---did someone say coffee?

Yes please:)

Kitty Pryde
03-11-2009, 12:03 AM
yup. if you 'cut back slowly', the headache shouldn't bother you, though.

Perks
03-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah, if you really want to cut down, start mixing in half decaf. Do that for a few days, then go to three quarters. After a few days go to straight decak (which still has a little caffeine.)

Then you can quit.

And pick it up again at your leisure.

Personally, I like coffee too much, so I just drink half-caff now.

James81
03-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, if you really want to cut down, start mixing in half decaf. Do that for a few days, then go to three quarters. After a few days go to straight decak (which still has a little caffeine.)

Then you can quit.

And pick it up again at your leisure.

Personally, I like coffee too much, so I just drink half-caff now.

You know, they should have a quit smoking program just like that with cigarettes.

Not things like patches and pills, but actual cigarettes that you smoke until the nicotine content is zilch.

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 12:29 AM
A while back I tried to stop drinking coffee and for two days I had the worst headache.... Needless to say I'm back to drinking it again. Has anyone else experienced this?:tongue

When I started Atkins this happened to me. It's your body going through withdrawls basically. A few days is all it should last, then you should feel better. The interesting thing, once I was off coffee, I started dreaming.

Oh, I ditched Atkins after 2 weeks. Managed to stay off coffee for a little longer, but damn it, I love the stuff.

James81
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
When I started Atkins this happened to me. It's your body going through withdrawls basically. A few days is all it should last, then you should feel better. The interesting thing, once I was off coffee, I started dreaming.

Oh, I ditched Atkins after 2 weeks. Managed to stay off coffee for a little longer, but damn it, I love the stuff.

I went through the same thing when I tried to start flossing. I would get these headaches and suddenly I realized that it was because I started flossing. I quickly quit that shit and have been fine ever since.

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 12:33 AM

I did atkins but stayed on the coffee it didn't effect my weight loss. I did loss alot of weight but when I went off it gained half of it back.

sassandgroove
03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
OH YEAH BABY. Major withdrawl when I don't get caffeine. blinding headaches. not good. I joke that coffee is cheaper than anti depressants, too.

I also noticed I started drinking coffee in earnest when I cut back on cocacola. :)

Jen what you say about cutting coffee and starting to dream is interesting. I was having trouble sleeping and started cutting caffeine off in the afternoon, only having caffiene in the mornings, and I started sleeping better. It is probably something to do with that.

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
If I don't get my coffee, I'm liable to kill someone . Seriously.

One time, my husband bought decaf by mistake and I didn't realize it until later that day when I started to feel really weird. I mean like REALLY WEIRD. Even bitchier than usual (and that's sayin' something). I thought I was losing my mind until I opened the closet for something and found the coffee can. Whew.

Ever since, I double check what he's bought. :D

Now, I double check

KTC
03-11-2009, 12:52 AM

Was it Tim Hortons coffee? I stop drinking that and I get a headache. I have 2 a day.

I'm seriously addicted. Tried many times to quit.

tjwriter
03-11-2009, 12:52 AM
You can pry my coffee and my caffeine from my cold, dead fingers.

Must. Have. Coffee. Now would be nice.

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Jen what you say about cutting coffee and starting to dream is interesting. I was having trouble sleeping and started cutting caffeine off in the afternoon, only having caffiene in the mornings, and I started sleeping better. It is probably something to do with that.

I read/or was told that you start dreaming because on the caffeine your brain is pretty much .... what's the word I'm looking for.... basically when you free your body of the caffeine, your brain works again, while you're asleep. So, coffee = no brain activity while you're asleep, no coffee = sweet dreams. Or something.

firedrake
03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
see my sig. :D

No more than 2 cups a day, mind. I had a third cup this morning and was bouncing off the walls, now I've crashed and would love to crawl under my desk and go to sleep.

KTC
03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I read/or was told that you start dreaming because on the caffiene your brain is pretty much .... what's the word I'm looking for.... basically when you free your body of the caffiene, your brain works again, while you're asleep. So, coffee = no brain activity while you're asleep, no coffee = sweet dreams. Or something.

but. but. but. I dream. of coffee.

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 12:55 AM
One time, my husband bought decaf by mistake and I didn't realize it until later that day when I started to feel really weird. I mean like REALLY WEIRD. Even bitchier than usual (and that's sayin' something).

Should have seen me on Atkins. Imagine, no caffeine and no carbs? Sheesh.

James81
03-11-2009, 12:56 AM

I dream of Jeannie.

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 12:57 AM

ha!

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I still dream. Weird dreams, sure, but they're dreams.

Why, just the other night, I was dreaming of... um... that is, I dreamed...

oh noes...

:D

KTC
03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I dream of Jeannie.

...with the light brown hair? Not me.

KTC
03-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Why, just the other decade I had a dream about...um...er...uh. Oh noes. Maybe it's a good time to give it up?

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Dreaming's overrated, anyway...

KTC
03-11-2009, 01:10 AM
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub.

sassandgroove
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM
do you ever dream about me?

KTC
03-11-2009, 01:22 AM
do you ever dream about me?

Come on, Sis...of course. After our childhood! Please!

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Ok, you two have officially derailed this thread.

KTC
03-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Ok, you two have officially derailed this thread.

Injecting thread with coffee.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/timhorton.jpg

Susie
03-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't drink coffee, but I do get headaches if I ever, (ok, once) attempted withdrawal from chocolate. :)

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 01:37 AM
I bet! No chocolate is a nightmare!

scarletpeaches
03-11-2009, 01:40 AM
I kicked caffeine a few months back. Had the mother of all headaches for a fortnight on and off, and I only drink tea, not coffee, so you can imagine how much I must have been drinking to go through the DTs that bad.

What happened? I went back on it. :D

I'm scared to kick it cold turkey again, although I really should cut down.

WittyWordsmith
03-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Coffee is one of my languages. Mind you, more than 3 espresso shots and I'm being peeled of the walls, but I do love the stuff. I'd hope so since I make it all day. I love everything about coffee from the seed to the shot, and the whole world in between (and there really is...)

Don't kick coffee. Every time you drink it think about the poor farmer supporting his family by growing those trees, and how you are helping him. :) Your consumption is giving jobs where they are needed around the globe. I'd say it's a pretty healthy drug to be addicted to, if you need one. Heck, they put caffeine in the pain-killers you take to get rid of those withdrawal headaches, so you never really get away anyhow.

I'd say go for the half-caff or split-shots, but I'm not one for decaff. Maybe it's because the espresso doesn't pull the same and I'm not a fan of the smell of the "bean." In any event, I simply love coffee, and I'm glad to hear others who do, too!

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Why on God's green earth would you ever give up chocolate???? ;)

I quit smoking. I refuse to give up my coffee.

pltpltpltpltpltp!

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Injecting thread with coffee.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/timhorton.jpg

'Always got time for Tim Horton's' :)

Susie
03-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Why on God's green earth would you ever give up chocolate???? ;)

I quit smoking. I refuse to give up my coffee.

pltpltpltpltpltp!

:ROFL: I know, Jerz. It was a slight slip of insanity on my part. Never again! :D

Devil Ledbetter
03-11-2009, 04:50 AM
A while back I tried to stop drinking coffee and for two days I had the worst headache.... Needless to say I'm back to drinking it again. Has anyone else experienced this?:tongueYes. I generally lasts about two days.

Soccer Mom
03-11-2009, 04:53 AM
The only times in my life I haven't drunk coffee were when I was pregnant or breast feeding. As soon as the baby was weaned, coffee and LOTS of it.

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
The only times in my life I haven't drunk coffee were when I was pregnant or breast feeding. As soon as the baby was weaned, coffee and LOTS of it.

Yeah I'm addicted and I won't give it up:D

James81
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm enjoying a cup right now.

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
As am I...

Devil Ledbetter
03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I quit a 7-cup-a-day habit last summer, but now enjoy a cup or two just in the morning, and decaf with DH after work. I used to think decaf was a joke (still kinda do) but we missed our time chatting on the couch with coffee after work, so decaf was the compromise.

Perks
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
The only times in my life I haven't drunk coffee were when I was pregnant or breast feeding. As soon as the baby was weaned, coffee and LOTS of it.Oh yeah, I gave it up when I was pregnant, too. I knew how crabby I felt with my caffeine withdrawal headache and didn't want to put any bets on how long it would take me to bundle a baby in a basket and send it into the bullrushes if I ended up with a mini-addict.

NeuroFizz
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
One of my new purchases when I moved to my current job was a quality expresso machine (Gaggia) for my lab. I have a double-shot iced mocha (expresso in chocolate milk, over ice) each morning and sometimes one again in the afternoon. The former, together with a bowl of cereal at home, is my breakfast. On weekends, I just do the hot cuppa coffee thing. Best mornings: In at the gym at 5:30 for a good sweat/weight work, home at 6:45 for that bowl of cereal and a hot shower. In at work at 7:30 for the iced mocha, consumed while giving the morning go-over to e-mail and AW. No headaches.

I am in withdrawal for one thing, though. Nestle makes a syrup-like product in a drip-proof squeeze bottle--it's a combination of chocolate syrup and coffee, just add milk. It was perfect for my iced mochas at home. BUT...they don't sell it anywhere in Wilmington. I stocked up last time I visited Fizzette number one in the Phoenix Valley, but I'm out again, so I have to drink the hot stuff.

Here is it, but it was about half that price in the grocery stores:

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=1696

Each bottle lasts a long time, though, since it requires two tablespoons per dose (about 25 doses per bottle). I may have to break down and order a case...

brainstorm77
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
One of my new purchases when I moved to my current job was a quality expresso machine (Gaggia) for my lab. I have a double-shot iced mocha (expresso in chocolate milk, over ice) each morning and sometimes one again in the afternoon. The former, together with a bowl of cereal at home, is my breakfast. On weekends, I just do the hot cuppa coffee thing. Best mornings: In at the gym at 5:30 for a good sweat/weight work, home at 6:45 for that bowl of cereal and a hot shower. In at work at 7:30 for the iced mocha, consumed while giving the morning go-over to e-mail and AW. No headaches.

I am in withdrawal for one thing, though. Nestle makes a syrup-like product in a drip-proof squeeze bottle--it's a combination of chocolate syrup and coffee, just add milk. It was perfect for my iced mochas at home. BUT...they don't sell it anywhere in Wilmington. I stocked up last time I visited Fizzette number one in the Phoenix Valley, but I'm out again, so I have to drink the hot stuff.

Here is it, but it was about half that price in the grocery stores:

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=1696

Each bottle lasts a long time, though, since it requires two tablespoons per dose (about 25 doses per bottle). I may have to break down and order a case...

I need a new coffee maker. Had my current one for over a year and it's in hard shape........