PDA

View Full Version : Handedness/Watch Hand

KTC
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Okay...I accidentally watched one of the worst shows on TV last night. CSI Miami. It's the most predictable piece of trash on TV. It was on in the background. The blonde idiot said something about "the victim has to be right-handed because his watch is on the left wrist" or something like that...like it was some Goddamn scientific fact. Nice police work, asshat!

I am left-handed and have always worn my watch on my left hand. What's the scoop, people?

selkn.asrai
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm left-handed, and I can't stand to wear anything on my right wrist. It feels so strange--gross, like sympathy pains. I'm a total, utter leftie.

williemeikle
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
left and left for me too

CaroGirl
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Okay...I accidentally watched one of the worst shows on TV last night. CSI Miami.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm an extreme rightie and wear the watch on my left wrist. I'm so predictable that way.

scarletpeaches
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
When I wore a watch, I would always strap it on to my left wrist, as writing with something on my arm bothered me when I wrote longhand. It used to rub against the paper and sometimes tear it.

KTC
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.

I kind of kept it on because I was fascinated by how much it made me moan. Absolutely the lamest show on TV. Excrutiatingly dumb.

Beach Bunny
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Okay...I accidentally watched one of the worst shows on TV last night. CSI Miami. It's the most predictable piece of trash on TV. It was on in the background. The blonde idiot said something about "the victim has to be right-handed because his watch is on the left wrist" or something like that...like it was some Goddamn scientific fact. Nice police work, asshat!

I am left-handed and have always worn my watch on my left hand. What's the scoop, people?
I'm right handed. I wear my watch on my left hand so it doesn't get banged up or get in the way when I am doing stuff with my right hand, especially writing with pen and paper. :)

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm left-handed, and I can't stand to wear anything on my right wrist. It feels so strange--gross, like sympathy pains. Zactly.

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I kind of kept it on because I was fascinated by how much it made me moan. Absolutely the lamest show on TV. Excrutiatingly dumb.Don't you feel used after watching something like that?

Last time this happened to me, it was an MSNBC Investigates (I think) about some ex of Olivia Newton John who disappeared on a fishing trip. Watched that damned dumb repetitive thing for an hour and at the end they didn't resolve it.:rant:

I watch very little TV, and this is exactly why. If I'm going to waste time and let the housework go to hell, I'd rather spend the time teaching myself guitar.

alleycat
03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Okay...I accidentally watched one of the worst shows on TV last night. CSI Miami.
I haven't watched that show in some time (I wasn't even sure it was still on). Back when I did watch it occasionally, I would often hope the bad guy would win because the David Caruso character was so irritating.

Back to the question. I'm right-handed and wear my watch on my left. I would say the vast majority of right-handed people do wear their watch on the left hand; although not all.

robeiae
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Left and left.

What kind of sicko would wear a watch on their right hand?

Soccer Mom
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
What kind of sicko still wears a watch? I use the time on my cell.

James81
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks to this thread, I am going to start wearing my watch on my right hand.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't wear a watch and I never did. When work is done it's time to drink until I eat and eventually sleep. How hard is that?

robeiae
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
What kind of sicko still wears a watch? I use the time on my cell.
My watch is a cell phone. Oh, but you probably can't get those yet...

CaroGirl
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks to this thread, I am going to start wearing my watch on my right hand.
The joke'll be on you when you keep looking at your empty left wrist.

James81
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
The joke'll be on you when you keep looking at your empty left wrist.

I'll be sure to let my left hand know what my right hand is doing.

robeiae
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
It's about to be waaaaaay TMI. Please, tell us no more.

KTC
03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Left and left.

OH GOD! More in common with robiaieaieaieiaie. When will the pain end?

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Your right hand is perpetually throwing the flaming devil horns, dear.

James81
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Your right hand is perpetually throwing the flaming devil horns, dear.

Ha ha, and now everytime I do that I'll know what time it is.

win/win

Clair Dickson
03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi! I'm weird! I'm right handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. Always have. I had no idea until today that this was unusual. It's as scuffed as my wedding ring.

Hubby carries his watch in his pocket. And he keeps his cell phone off while at work. (Not vibrate or silence-- OFF.)

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Ha ha, and now everytime I do that I'll know what time it is.

win/winI feel like you're saluting me.

Shhhhh. Don't ruin the illusion.

James81
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Shit, I just put my watch on my right wrist (which took a good deal of effort btw) and it SUCKS.

To hell with this.

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
My daughter gave me a watch for Christmas so I now wear a watch.

I'm right-handed and I wear my watch on my left wrist. One main reason is because it's a watch with a strap and you have to get the little dohicky into one of the little holes. In order to do that I have to use my right hand. See?

NeuroFizz
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Right handed, watch on left--it started when I was younger. I throw things (mostly baseballs, footballs, Molotov cocktails, etc.) with my right hand, and the wrist whipping action played hell with watches.

selkn.asrai
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah. I stopped regularly wearing a watch when I went to work in the bookstore cafe and I had to dunk my hands in a couple gallons' worth of icy sanitizer. Nevertheless, left hand, left wrist.

I never found watches or hairbands to get in the way of writing or anything manual--things like spiral notebooks, Papermate pens and dining with a lot of righties cause more of a problem. :P

darkprincealain
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I am a leftie and always wore my watch on the right. But I have not worn a watch in ages--the cheap ones don't keep good time and the expensive ones have me worried I'm going to do something to ruin them.

Adam
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Right and right for me. My family considers it weird, but that's what's most comfortable to me.
Currently using my phone though, so "right handed, right hand cargo pocket" :)

AnonymousWriter
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM

That would be me...
Right and right for me.

tjwriter
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Left handed with watch on right.

But it seems I'm stoooopid because I voted left on left. If RT wants to come along and screw with robo-vowels' poll, he can fix my vote for me.

robeiae
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
If RT wants to come along and screw with robo-vowels' poll, he can fix my vote for me.
Hey! It's KTC's poll, not mine.

It's not nearly dumb enough to be one of mine...

regdog
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Why is there no "Wears watch on an eggplant" option?

robeiae
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Why is there no "Wears watch on an eggplant" option?
See my previous post...

tjwriter
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey! It's KTC's poll, not mine.

It's not nearly dumb enough to be one of mine...

See this?

OH GOD! More in common with robiaieaieaieiaie. When will the pain end?

You're nearly the same person now anyway.

But it seems I'm stoooopid because I voted left on left.

Also, see this.

Jersey Chick
03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Left handed- watch on my left wrist. I've tried wearing on my right wrist and it just. feels. wrong.

i can't use left-handed scissors, either.

TheIT
03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Right handed, watch on left.

The "handedness" test which always annoys me is when someone throws something at another person and deduces left or right handed based on what hand the person uses to catch the object. I catch with either hand, so I'll use whatever hand makes sense.

KTC
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
You're nearly the same person now anyway.

WELL! I never!

tjwriter
03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
WELL! I never!

Yes you do. All the time. You're not fooling anyone!

Jersey Chick
03-11-2009, 12:55 AM
The secret's out. We all know you. 'Fess up.

KTC
03-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes you do. All the time. You're not fooling anyone!

Does it really show that much!?

Zelenka
03-11-2009, 01:46 AM
I just screwed up my vote and clicked the wrong thing - kind of day I'm having.

Anyway, I'm right handed, wear my watch on my right wrist, always have. My mum does the same because she had carpal tunnel in her left hand and so couldn't wear her watch on the left wrist for ages. I kind of copied her and wore it on the right.

I remember some exercise in drama class at school though where we had to mime looking at our watches (I forget why) and I was asked if I'm left handed because I looked automatically at my right wrist.

Silver King
03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
...it's a watch with a strap and you have to get the little dohicky into one of the little holes...
The dohicky is called a buckle latch. It's usually fastened to the strap with a spring pin, the same device used to attach the strap to most watch heads. Aren't you glad you know that now? :)

I've never been able to wear a watch. They drive me crazy, like all other forms of jewelry. Strangely, I can usually tell what time it is, within about five minutes or so, without ever looking at a watch or clock (except when I first awaken). It's a handy trait I've used countless times when people ask for the time, only to have them ask someone else when they realize I have no way of knowing for sure...

Serenity
03-11-2009, 02:27 AM
The dohicky is called a buckle latch. It's usually fastened to the strap with a spring pin, the same device used to attach the strap to most watch heads. Aren't you glad you know that now? :)

No one likes a smart ass my silvery liege. :D

Anyhow, I'm a righty and wear my watch on my left wrist. I tried wearing it on my right when I broke my left hand/finger, but hated it. But I'll admit to needing my watch. I feel weird when its not on. The only time I take it off is when I'm on vacation.

KikiteNeko
03-11-2009, 03:37 AM

Yes, it is a terrible show, and the cheesy character dialogue makes me batty. Anyhow...

Right handed, watch on right hand. And I like the timepiece on the TOP of my wrist, not the bottom of it, because when am I ever in a position where it's more convenient for me to flip my wrist over to see the time? I never understood that one.

That CSI Miami detective fails at fact. Some people like their watch on their opposite hand, I'm sure, and some don't. And what if the victim was ambi? Would he have two watches to balance it out?

Angie
03-11-2009, 03:40 AM
The character is awful, and David Caruso's delivery is worse. That show is like having acid poured into your eyes, only less interesting.

Oh, and right on right.

kristie911
03-11-2009, 04:04 AM
The character is awful, and David Caruso's delivery is worse. That show is like having acid poured into your eyes, only less interesting.

Oh, and right on right.

This is almost exactly what I was going to write. :)

I got my first watch for my 5th birthday from my parents. I immediately put it on my right wrist (I'm right handed) and that's where I've worn my watches since. And I ALWAYS wear a watch...can't stand to not have one on.

rhymegirl
03-11-2009, 04:17 AM

Bite me. :)

cptwentworth
03-11-2009, 04:24 AM
I use my right hand so I want to see my watch on my right wrist.

poetinahat
03-11-2009, 04:30 AM
Left and left.

Yoo-hoo!

Left and right.

One reason: Can look at the time while writing. And, as has been mentioned, watch doesn't clank on table when writing. But really, there's no big deal about it. If I had to switch, I could.

It's interesting to note that 12 of 38 respondents so far are left-handed - well above the purported 10% of general population. Why? Are lefties more likely to be writers? More likely to faff around in Office Party? More likely to answer polls to flaunt their sinister orientation?

Namatu
03-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Left and left. The right hand demands to be alone unless the phone is ringing. It takes phone duty.

Silver King
03-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Bite me. :)
Gladly.

...But really, there's no big deal about it. If I had to switch, I could.
Rob sounds like he might consider swinging both ways, so a pocket watch could be more to his liking. :D

I remember when leather watch attachments were called fobs. You hardly ever hear that anymore. Same with leather key rings, which were known as key fobs.

poetinahat
03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Rob sounds like he might consider swinging both ways, so a pocket watch could be more to his liking. :D
Ahem.

I remember when leather watch attachments were called fobs. You hardly ever hear that anymore. Same with leather key rings, which were known as key fobs.

From Glendale Train (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/traditional/glendale-train-1409.html) -- traditional, performed by New Riders of the Purple Sage:

Amos White was the Luggage man,
and dearly loved his job.
The company rewarded him,
with a golden watch and fob.
Well Amos he was workin' time
when the door blew off his car.
The found Amos White in fifteen pieces
Fifteen miles apart.

Serenity
03-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Gladly.

and I thought my head was full of trivial junk! LOL

C.bronco
03-11-2009, 05:32 AM
I stoppped wearing my watch, but used to wear it on my left hand. Where's the poll option for wearing a clock around your neck on a big gold chain?

poetinahat
03-11-2009, 05:34 AM
I stoppped wearing my watch, but used to wear it on my left hand. Where's the poll option for wearing a clock around your neck on a big gold chain?
Yeeeeeeeeah boyeeeeeeeeee!

Flava Bronco in the haaaaaaouse.

KTC
03-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Where's the poll option for wearing a clock around your neck on a big gold chain?

It's back at the intersection of Stupid Street and Asshat Blvd.

Matera the Mad
03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
And the option for: right-handed, hate watches, stick the damn thing in the pocket?

rhymegirl
03-12-2009, 03:46 AM
I've never been able to wear a watch. They drive me crazy, like all other forms of jewelry. Strangely, I can usually tell what time it is, within about five minutes or so, without ever looking at a watch or clock (except when I first awaken). It's a handy trait I've used countless times when people ask for the time, only to have them ask someone else when they realize I have no way of knowing for sure...

Are you one of those people who can look up in the sky and tell time?

Well, I'll tell you this. I hardly ever wear my watch, but there is one good place for wearing a watch--a doctor's waiting room! They never have a freaking clock in there! If you don't know what time it is, you don't know how long you've been waiting. That drives me crazy. I used to just look at my cell phone to check the time, but a lot of places now have signs up telling you to turn off your phone. So a watch comes in handy.

Devil Ledbetter
03-12-2009, 03:54 AM
It's back at the intersection of Stupid Street and Asshat Blvd.I thought it was at the corner of Fiddy and Crunk.

KTC
03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
I thought it was at the corner of Fiddy and Crunk.

Piddy cent.

JoeEkaitis
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic951_3.gif
Right handed, Seiko Mickey on left wrist.
(Two Mickeys when we go to Disneyland.)

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I stopped wearing a watch because I did the Fiddy crotch grab and yanked out all my pubes.

KTC
03-12-2009, 01:21 PM
TMI. TMI!

JLCwrites
03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Orlando Bloom wears my watch. (But I don't see that option on this poll. Pfft. )

BardSkye
03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Left and left.

:hi:

Right-handed and wear a watch (when I care about the time) on my right hand.

sadron
03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Right handed - watch on left wrist. I can barely stand a watch on right hand. It's soo irritating! Bracelet is ok but not watch.

Grrarrgh
03-15-2009, 04:38 AM
So I just found myself watching that same episode of CSI: Miami. What I found to be even more absurd than the watch-handedness issue, which was completely ridiculous, KTC was right about that, was the fact that they deduced the killer based on the presence of nail polish remover on the hands of a teenage girl. Seriously. That was the case breaking clue. Nail polish remover. On the hands of a teenage girl. With a fresh manicure. Every time I watch this show, I feel myself leaking brain cells. And yet...I....just....can't...look....away......

Silver King
03-15-2009, 04:57 AM
Are you one of those people who can look up in the sky and tell time?
No, that would be cheating. I just know what time it is, almost all of the time. Kinda sucks in a way, because I can't ever use the excuse, "Sorry I'm late. I lost all track of time."

rhymegirl
03-15-2009, 07:30 AM
What time is it now?

Silver King
03-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Play time.

See? I get it right every time.

Shadow_Ferret
03-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Well, I think we've determined that Lefties are oddballs.

You should wear your watch on your non-dominant wrist otherwise it gets in the way of everyday activities.

WriteKnight
03-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Right handed, worn on the left wrist.

But here's the kicker - and a 'twist' to the poll.

I wear my watch INSIDE my wrist. That is, on the palm side of the wrist, not the 'back side.

I do this, because the crystal used to scratch against things when it was on the 'outside' of my wrist.

A lot of people wonder about that.

So - are you an 'innie' or an 'outie'?

rhymegirl
03-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Play time.

See? I get it right every time.

Okay, I'm ready to play.

Shadow_Ferret
03-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Right handed, worn on the left wrist.

But here's the kicker - and a 'twist' to the poll.

I wear my watch INSIDE my wrist. That is, on the palm side of the wrist, not the 'back side.

I do this, because the crystal used to scratch against things when it was on the 'outside' of my wrist.

A lot of people wonder about that.

So - are you an 'innie' or an 'outie'?That's how I wear mine. Inside. I can't tell you how many crystals I've destroyed wearing my watch on the outside.

Maryn
03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Me, too, KTC. Strongly left-handed, watch on left. Which means that when I need to remember something, wearing my watch on my right wrist serves as a reminder--it feels so wrong!

Maybe the CSI: Miami character just needed to remember to pick up the dry cleaning or something, eh?

Maryn, not a CSI fan