Come in here and tell me what to do with my teeth...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I made a dentist's appointment today for the first time in YEARS. Good grief, I can't even remember the last time I went to the dentist.

But in the past couple of days I've noticed that I might be getting a cavity. If I drink something really cold my teeth will hurt on the right side of my mouth, but other than that they don't hurt. And it's never done that before. And they don't hurt if I eat on that side.

Only if it's something cold.

So I figured the best thing to do was make an appointment and get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Thing is, the soonest that my regular dentist (the one I went to regularly years ago lol) could get me in was April 1st (which is like 3 weeks from today). I scheduled a cleaning and told them I thought I might be getting a cavity.

My question is, should I just wait the three weeks, or should I try to find someone sooner than that? I mean, if I AM getting a cavity, am I going to be in giant gobs of pain in 3 weeks, or will I be fine until then?

What would you do if you thought you MAY be getting a cavity, but it wasn't really all that bad yet?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I go to the dentist every 6 months like I'm supposed to.

Holier-than-thou = me :)

Seriously, if you want to stick with that dentist and wait the 3 weeks, try buying Sensodyne toothpaste. It really works for sensitive teeth and might help with the pain until you can get to the dentist.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I have just been experiencing this on the left side, upper molars. I drink something cold and it about sends me through the ceiling. So I went to the dentist and she couldn't see anything wrong. I have a filling back there and she said that if you clench your jaw or grind your teeth at night, you can put stress on those areas and cause little tiny cracks that are sensitive as hell.

She didn't see any decay, so she told me to stop clenching my jaw and get a mouthguard. So far, when I've been able to train myself not to clench, the sensitivity lessens. But, I'd probably do better with a nightguard. I just don't want one.

Oh - and use Sensodyne toothpaste.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
oh cool, 9 out of 10 dentists recommend that toothpaste. :D

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you are just experiencing cold/hot sensitivity, no need to panic. Three weeks probably won't change much. If you are getting some twinges of real tooth pain (most of us know that pain--one of the worst known to humans), get in before it becomes constant. I'm lucky. My neighbors (across the cul-de-sac) are my dentists--a husband-and-wife dentist team. And next door is an orthodontist, who Little Fizzy will be seeing (professionally) in a few years.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Not trying to scare you, but speaking from personal experience - keep an eye on it. If it starts getting worse, gets sensitive to pressure or turning dark, you're going to need to get in there right away. That's something going wrong with the root, and yeah, it will probably mean a root canal.

However, root canals are nowhere near as bad as you think. I've had to have it done twice - the first one never hurt at all. The second one was the time I'm referring to, and it felt a little bruised afterward, but nothing bad - not like a toothache. The kind of thing you popped an Advil for and it never came back. I even went right back to work after the second one - the first one was a mid-afternoon appointment.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second (third? fourth?) the Sensodyne recommendation. Flouride rinses help with sensitivity too. Switching to a softer toothbrush also helps, as harder ones can cause gum recession which is a source of sensitivity. It's best not to be too heavy handed when brushing.

I have much less sensitivity and gum recession since switching to an Oral B Vitality electric toothbrush (with the extra-soft brush heads, of course.) This model is only about $16-$19 but mine has held up well.

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
Dentists are worse than doctors as far as getting you an appointment if you don't have a dire emergency. I must say that I haven't been in years... too expensive and insurance doesn't cover it. Good advice here :) Good luck!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Ignore your teeth. They'll go away sooner or later.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
When I first went to live with my husband, he hadn't been to the dentist's for 21 years! I went on one of my regular appointments and sneakily made him one. I waited down the road and sat on the wall, outside the library, whilst he went for his first check-up. Ten minutes later, an ambulance went flying up the road with its sirens wailing and I was worried that he'd fainted in the dentist's chair! :D

It wasn't actually for him, but I did laugh as I told him what I saw.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Because I drink a lot of pop (or so is my assumption of cause) from time to time my teeth get more sensitive. Using "Act" fluoride rinse for a couple days usually reduces the sensitivity. Probably works similar to Sensadyne... but I've had some horrible experiences with changing toothpaste that I vowed never again.

Just another option. I've heard of dentists recommending it to hold a patient over until the appointment.

I've never had an problems getting appointments. The 6 month appointments are usually seven, but if I need something done, like a filling, it's usually within a week. And come to think of it, part of the reason for the 7 mo between check-ups might be because Hubby and I go together for our checkups, side by side. (I always win. =)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've had two occasions where I've had tooth pain, sensitivity to cold and hot. It was so bad one time that just breathing in cold air gave me twinges of pain. When I saw the dentist he couldn't find anything wrong and told me to try Sensodyne. The pain went away.

(They also told me to stop using those "Total Care" toothpastes. They get nothing but complaints about them.)

But... I'd still recommend seeing the dentist in case it's more than just sensitivity.

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once skipped eight years. I felt like a lapsed catholic. "Bless me Dr. Moore, for I have consumed much sugary snacks. It's been eight years since my last cleaning."

Unless the pain gets bad or other symptons appear, I think three weeks is fine. You can buy some sensodyne to help reduce the sensitivity in the meanwhile.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you start to feel a "heartbeat" in your tooth or it wakes you up at night, should be okay until the appointment.

It could be several things. Without knowing for certain you'll want to take several precautions, just in case. You mentioned sensitivity on the right side. Do you know if the sensitivity is localized on one tooth or is it the side in general?

If it is gum recession, use the Sensodyne as others have suggested, but also make sure you are using a soft bristle toothbrush. Brush in soft slow gentle circles. Never press the toothbrush against the teeth hard enough to bend the bristles.

Don't use an electric toothbrush which many people apply too much pressure when using, same for a waterpick. Avoid both of those.

In the future use a mild gel toothpaste like AIM or regular Pepsodent. Forget those bleaching and whitening pastes, especially if it has baking soda in it. You should never use a baking soda toothpaste if you have any crowns or bridgework. The baking soda will dissolve the cement.

If it is a cavity, take care chewing on that side until the appointment. Don't bite anything hard on that side, avoid sugary foods, that could irritate it as well.

It could also be your sinuses, especially if you have had a cold or had sinus problems. The roots of the upper teeth are right next to and in many cases under the sinus cavities. When the sinuses fill up, they put pressure on the roots causing sensistivity, and pain.

Hope this helps. I worked in dentistry for years.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It could also be your sinuses, especially if you have had a cold or had sinus problems. The roots of the upper teeth are right next to and in many cases under the sinus cavities. When the sinuses fill up, they put pressure on the roots causing sensistivity, and pain.

Oooh, interesting.

I HAVE had a cold for the past several days.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to share with you people the secret to keeping your teeth.

My grandmother just turned 90 and she has all of her origional teeth. She speaks highly of brushing, but brings up a good point. You never see a cavity form on the front or back of a tooth.

Flossing is the key. I haven't really taken good care of my teeth because my life didn't really allow it. (Kinda hard when you have to melt down your toothbrush and make it into a shank) But flossing has kept most of them intact.
ETA: True story!