PDA

View Full Version : What should my 'professional' email address be?

Project nachonaco
03-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Dunno if this needs to be in Roundtable....if not, can mods please mirror/move the thread?

Thanks.

I'm just curious.

Possibilities:

FirstLastProjectHaiZi (which is my title) @ yahoo.com
FirstProjectHaiZi @yahoo
ProjectHaiZi@yahoo
FirstLast@yahoo

Or could I use my college email (first initial, middle initial, last name @mycollegehere)?

Susie
03-10-2009, 03:08 AM
I like the third one, Project, but I like:

ProjectNachos[at]yahoo.com :D I don't know why, but I always think of food. :)

benbradley
03-10-2009, 03:27 AM
If it has to be a free web-based email, I think gmail has slightly "better cred" than yahoo. If for some reason you can't sign up at http://gmail.com you can PM me with whatever email you have now, and I can send you an invite (presuming gmail still works that way).

I rather like the college address idea, at least better than yahoo (which I pretty much equate to hotmail). I think most decent "professionals" won't discriminate against such a free email address, but some might, it's hard to be sure, and if you want to make a good impression, I'd think a college email address would be better.

Best yet would be your very own domain name, with your address <firstname>@<firstname><lastname>.com or <firstinitial><lastname>.com or if you're really lucky and have an unusual last name, see if <lastname>.com is available. A .com domain is about $10 per year, and setting up a small hosting site with email is a few dollars a month. I'm not sure, I've got a domain name and site, but I've never set up an email address for it.

Project nachonaco
03-10-2009, 03:28 AM
If it has to be a free web-based email, I think gmail has slightly "better cred" than yahoo. If for some reason you can't sign up at http://gmail.com you can PM me with whatever email you have now, and I can send you an invite (presuming gmail still works that way).

I rather like the college address idea, at least better than yahoo (which I pretty much equate to hotmail). I think most decent "professionals" won't discriminate against such a free email address, but some might, it's hard to be sure, and if you want to make a good impression, I'd think a college email address would be better.

Best yet would be your very own domain name, with your address <firstname>@<firstname><lastname>.com or <firstinitial><lastname>.com or if you're really lucky and have an unusual last name, see if <lastname>.com is available. A .com domain is about $10 per year, and setting up a small hosting site with email is a few dollars a month. I'm not sure, I've got a domain name and site, but I've never set up an email address for it.

I have a Gmail account, rarely use it, and can get another.

My dad's friend is a webmaster, should I ask him?

Keep in mind, this is all before I get published (first time author), so I don't want to be all pretentious and stuff.

benbradley
03-10-2009, 03:29 AM
I like the third one, Project, but I like:

ProjectNachos ( ayut) yahoo.com:D I don't know why, but I always think of food. :)
You KNOW that now you've posted that address with the @ sign in it, it's going to get scraped and spam WILL eventually be sent to that address, whether it's created or not.:)

robeiae
03-10-2009, 03:45 AM
I suggest "freakzilla428@scopenet.com"

Angie
03-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I suggest "freakzilla428@scopenet.com"

But I thought that was your address??

robeiae
03-10-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm "427".

KTC
03-10-2009, 03:51 AM
yahoo is far from professional.

Angie
03-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry, my mistake.

KTC
03-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Sorry, my mistake.

Sorrymymistake@yahoo.com

Angie
03-10-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm sure that's already taken.

Silver King
03-10-2009, 04:01 AM
Why choose an address based solely on the title of your work? You'd be better off selecting something you can keep for a while, if not forever, that doesn't refer to a work in progress you might rather forget about in the future.

KTC
03-10-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm sure that's already taken.

Send them a note and see if it bounces. Dare ya.

Susie
03-10-2009, 04:20 AM
You KNOW that now you've posted that address with the @ sign in it, it's going to get scraped and spam WILL eventually be sent to that address, whether it's created or not.:)

Ok, I dun changed it, ben. Don't want nobody to be spammed. :)

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 04:23 AM
I think it should be WaynekisastudandIwantothavehisbaby.com

Angie
03-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Send them a note and see if it bounces. Dare ya.

Pfft. That's an easy dare. Done. :tongue

KTC
03-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Pfft. That's an easy dare. Done. :tongue

Okay. Now I dare you to get a piercing.

robeiae
03-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Dunno if this needs to be in Roundtable....
Based on the replies, I'd say that would have been the wiser choice.

But seriously, I don't think a "clever" email address will score you any points. Just use your name.

Angie
03-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Okay. Now I dare you to get a piercing.

Where?? O.o

Oh, and I voted for simple - just firstnamelastname at wherever.

Beach Bunny
03-10-2009, 08:24 AM
My unprofessional opinion is that your email address should be your name, a version of your name, or your pen name at one of the free sites like yahoo, gmail, or aol. Because you're going to want to keep it for awhile for all your writing email correspondence. Changing your email address can result in lost or missed acceptances or rejections. And you don't want to miss anything. For that reason, I don't recommend using the school email unless you will be able to keep it after you graduate. Pick something and plan on using it for the rest of your life. :)

I think it should be WaynekisastudandIwantothavehisbaby.com
:ROFL: