PDA

View Full Version : Career movie roles that almost weren't...

James81
03-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I thought this was pretty interesting:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/25/nicole-kidman-gwyneth-paltrow-kate-winslet-business-media_star_misses_slide.html?partner=yahoomovies

What others can we come up with?

The best one off the top of my head is Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly (they had half of the film filmed with him):

http://hurtyelbow.typepad.com/images/back-to-the-future1.jpg

katiemac
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Will Smith passed on The Matrix to do Wild, Wild West.

I think that's my favorite one.

James81
03-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Will Smith passed on The Matrix to do Wild, Wild West.

I think that's my favorite one.

What role in the Matrix did he pass on? Neo?

katiemac
03-10-2009, 12:55 AM
What role in the Matrix did he pass on? Neo?

Yep. Lucky you, Keanu.

Prozyan
03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Gene Hackman was originally cast for Hannibal Lector in The Silence of the Lambs.

katiemac
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Let's see ... this wasn't an original casting issue, but James Dean was almost fired from Rebel Without a Cause.

I don't know the original actor's name (a small-scale someone), but Viggo Mortensen came onto the Lord of the Rings after they'd started filming--either that or days before-- because they fired the other guy. But everyone was set up in New Zealand ready to go and they had to call him up to get him out there last minute.

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Michelle Pfeiffer was offered the role of Clarice Starling in The Silence of the Lambs but she turned it down, because she was uncomfortable with the subject matter.

Lucky for Jodie Foster...

ChaosTitan
03-10-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't know the original actor's name (a small-scale someone), but Viggo Mortensen came onto the Lord of the Rings after they'd started filming--either that or days before-- because they fired the other guy. But everyone was set up in New Zealand ready to go and they had to call him up to get him out there last minute.

Stuart Townsend, supposedly replaced because he was too young.

Dougray Scott turned down Wolverine in X-Men for Mission Impossible II.

dclary
03-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Yep. Lucky you, Keanu.

"Prepare to die, Mr. Anderson."

"Oh, hayell, no!"

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Dougray Scott turned down Wolverine in X-Men for Mission Impossible II.

I was just going to say that but I forgot who it was that Hugh Jackman replaced.

Kathleen42
03-10-2009, 02:14 AM
The best one off the top of my head is Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly (they had half of the film filmed with him):

Back to the Future was actually my first thought when I saw the subject line. My second thought was Viggo Mortensen's replacement of Stuart Townsend on Lord of the Rings (also already mentioned).

It's not a movie role, but I'd also say Alison Hannigan in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The original pilot was filmed with a different actress playing Willow.

ChaosTitan
03-10-2009, 02:14 AM
I was just going to say that but I forgot who it was that Hugh Jackman replaced.

I cheated. For some reason, I thought Dougray Scott had been replaced by Viggo in LOTR, so I checked his IMDB page to be sure. Glad I did. :D

Cybernaught
03-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Yep. Lucky you, Keanu.

Yeah. Before him even, The Wachowski Brothers (Sister?) said they always wanted Brandon Lee. That's really sad because he would have been brilliant.

Cybernaught
03-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Christopher Walken turned down Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, but Michael Madsen was brilliant.

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Kate Winslet was to star in the Reader but she had a scheduling conflict, so the role went to Nicole Kidman, but then Kidman got pregnant and couldn't do it, and by that time Winslet became free. And then came her Oscar.

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Val Kilmer was first offered the lead role in A Time to Kill, but he turned it down. Then Kieffer Sutherland was considered for it, but eventually the role went to Matthew McConnaughey, who auditioned for another role.

Lucky, Matt.

SirOtter
03-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I can see why that list concentrated on Bogart replacing Raft on Casablanca, since it's widely recognized as one of the best movies ever, but Raft had a recurring habit of letting roles go to Bogie that turned out to be major errors on Raft's part. He was originally intended for High Sierra and The Maltese Falcon, both of which are great classics in their own rights. Suits me fine, as Raft was about a third as good an actor as Bogart.

Prozyan
03-10-2009, 03:22 AM
Richard Widmark was originally cast as Capt. Queeg in The Caine Mutiny, which eventually went to Bogart and became one of his most powerful roles.

katiemac
03-10-2009, 05:20 AM
More Lord of the Rings stuff ... Orlando Bloom auditioned for Faramir, not Legolas, but they thought he was "too pretty" for that role.

Michael Keaton was supposed to play Jack Shepherd on LOST, but that was when the creators were planning on killing off the character. When they decided to keep Jack around, Keaton left. He was also considered to play Captain Jack Sparrow at a point, too.

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Spider-Man:

Nicolas Cage and John Malkovich were both considered for the Green Goblin, but Willem Dafoe got the role.

Leonardo DiCaprio was considered for the role of Peter Parker. James Franco also auditioned for the part, but got Harry Osborn instead.

When Tobey Maguire hurt his back and considered dropping out of Spider-Man 2, Jake Gyllenhaal was offered to take over and had started preparation. But Maguire later came back -- that, of course, freed Gyllenhaal to do Brokeback Mountain instead, which made him a star nonetheless.

A whole lot of people including Robert De Niro were considered for the role of Doctor Octopus.

katiemac
03-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Yeah. Before him even, The Wachowski Brothers (Sister?) said they always wanted Brandon Lee. That's really sad because he would have been brilliant.

That's interesting. I always heard Johnny Depp was their first choice.

Depp was also originally cast in Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Someone else was also originally cast as Jane Smith instead of Angelina, but I can't remember who. To think the world could have been spared of Brangelina!

maestrowork
03-10-2009, 05:50 AM
But... but... Mr. & Mrs. Smith was great and Brangelina were hot in it. I mean, can you imagine Nicole Kidman and George Clooney in it? YAWN.

katiemac
03-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love Mr. & Mrs. Smith. But just imagine what our tabloids would look like if they'd never gotten together ... the number of children gone unadopted ...

This is pure Google intel, but holy crap ... Angelina Jolie was also originally considered for the the role of Kelly Kapowski on Saved by the Bell. Insanity!

Prozyan
03-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Staying on the Brangelina wagon, Brad Pitt was originally cast as Colin Sullivan in The Departed. Not sure it would have been a "career role" for him at that point, but it would have been a big one.

eyeblink
03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Richard Gere was cast in American Gigolo when John Travolta turned it down.

A television example, but can you imagine Jon Pertwee as Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army? If that had happened, he wouldn't have played Doctor Who, and the landscape of my childhood would have been radically altered. Somehow I can't see Arthur Lowe (who did play Mainwaring, inimitably) as the Doctor...

James81
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
When Tobey Maguire hurt his back and considered dropping out of Spider-Man 2, Jake Gyllenhaal was offered to take over and had started preparation. But Maguire later came back -- that, of course, freed Gyllenhaal to do Brokeback Mountain instead, which made him a star nonetheless.

Hmmm...I would like to see Jake Gyllenhaal's take on the character.

shawkins
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
James Purefoy was V in V for Vendetta for a couple days' worth of shooting. (That was him getting cattle prodded in the concentration camp.) He quit because he hated the mask and Hugo Weaving took over.