A question about your avi

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: avi is short for avatar. :)

I've noticed a rather interesting phenomena about avatar selection. If someone is using a what appears to me to be a feminine avi, the probability that the person is female is almost 100%. But, if someone is using what appears to me to be a masculine avi, the probability that the person is male is maybe 60 - 75%. Non-gender specific avis are about equally split.

I am wondering why. If you're female and you're using what most people would consider a masculine avi (eg it's a pic of a man), why did you choose to use it?

I am just curious. I don't want to start an argument. I especially don't want to get into a stupid argument over equality among the sexes. Because that is not where I am coming from.

One of the reasons that I have heard before is that the person was a fan of the male celebrity they were using as an avi. That makes sense to me. So, what's yours. :)

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Took me a minute to figure out what you meant by "avi."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, 60% of the new members immediately think I'm female. I guess it's the cat avatars that does it (i.e., cat avatar=female; dog avatar=male, unless noted otherwise). I know that doesn't answer your question; I just thought I would throw that into the mix as well.

For any of you newbies reading, I'm actually a 6'-3" tall, NFL linebacker-sized guy.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sweet little bunny rabbit. But am I male or female???

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Until I started using avies that were actually pictures of me, I always used ones that led people to assume I was a man. *shrug* I chose them because they tickled my funnybone, or just because I liked them, that's all.

:)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's currently of my daughter giving me a mittened "thumbs up" after one of her very first downhill ski races. Given my user name, I doubt there's much confusion over whether I'm of the girl or boy persuasion. Although I sometimes wish I'd chosen a name with a bit more mystery.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, 60% of the new members immediately think I'm female. I guess it's the cat avatars that does it (i.e., cat avatar=female; dog avatar=male, unless noted otherwise). I know that doesn't answer your question; I just thought I would throw that into the mix as well.

For any of you newbies reading, I'm actually a 6'-3" tall, NFL linebacker-sized guy.
Well, cats are kind of girlie plus "alley" is also a diminutive form of the name Allison. Double whammy of confusion there.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score

You're male!

Oh crap. I'm gonna have to stop flirting with you now :D

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, but you're an alleycat which usually is a rough tough male cat so why anyone would think you're a female escapes me.

I'm a sweet little bunny rabbit. But am I male or female???
I had to think about this for a minute. Bunnies are feminine because they're notorious for producing a lot of progeny. :Shrug:

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...my avi is female, my signature is male (albeit an anime male, but all the same). So my answer would be, 'because I like to look at him and now I can see him in every post!'

That said, my signature pic looks drastically different depending on the width of the screen I'm viewing it on.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Until I started using avies that were actually pictures of me, I always used ones that led people to assume I was a man. *shrug* I chose them because they tickled my funnybone, or just because I liked them, that's all.

:)
:Thumbs: ... Thanks for answering my question. That makes sense. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're male!

Oh crap. I'm gonna have to stop flirting with you now :D
You mean, our date for this Saturday is off? I'm hurt. I'm going to go home and have a good cry and watch reruns of Sex in the City and eat ice cream until I gain ten pounds.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You mean, our date for this Saturday is off? I'm hurt. I'm going to go home and have a good cry and watch reruns of Sex in the City and eat ice cream until I gain ten pounds.
The Internet is a weird and confusing place.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Chalk another one up to thinking alleycat was a girl.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chalk another one up to thinking alleycat was a girl.

Okay, for my part I was kidding. I knew Alleycat was a guy.

For others, all you have to do is check his profile and it says he's male.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, for my part I was kidding. I knew Alleycat was a guy.

For others, all you have to do is check his profile and it says he's male.
I would have thought my insensitivity and lack of manners would have given them a clue . . .

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another big guy who's into cats, but no doubt my ID leaves little room for confusion.