PDA

View Full Version : A question about your avi

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 09:11 PM
ETA: avi is short for avatar. :)

I've noticed a rather interesting phenomena about avatar selection. If someone is using a what appears to me to be a feminine avi, the probability that the person is female is almost 100%. But, if someone is using what appears to me to be a masculine avi, the probability that the person is male is maybe 60 - 75%. Non-gender specific avis are about equally split.

I am wondering why. If you're female and you're using what most people would consider a masculine avi (eg it's a pic of a man), why did you choose to use it?

I am just curious. I don't want to start an argument. I especially don't want to get into a stupid argument over equality among the sexes. Because that is not where I am coming from.

One of the reasons that I have heard before is that the person was a fan of the male celebrity they were using as an avi. That makes sense to me. So, what's yours. :)

James81
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Took me a minute to figure out what you meant by "avi."

Jersey Chick
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I changed mine over Valentine's weekend - to show a little love for our Aussie friends during the wildfires. Hugh's my crush o' the month and I can't quite bring myself to change it just yet.

Normally, I'm Linda Hamilton :D

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
For some reason, 60% of the new members immediately think I'm female. I guess it's the cat avatars that does it (i.e., cat avatar=female; dog avatar=male, unless noted otherwise). I know that doesn't answer your question; I just thought I would throw that into the mix as well.

For any of you newbies reading, I'm actually a 6'-3" tall, NFL linebacker-sized guy.

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a sweet little bunny rabbit. But am I male or female???

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
JerseyChick, You can take your time about changing back to Linda Hamilton. I'm sure enjoying the eye candy. ;)

Cranky
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Until I started using avies that were actually pictures of me, I always used ones that led people to assume I was a man. *shrug* I chose them because they tickled my funnybone, or just because I liked them, that's all.

:)

CaroGirl
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Mine's currently of my daughter giving me a mittened "thumbs up" after one of her very first downhill ski races. Given my user name, I doubt there's much confusion over whether I'm of the girl or boy persuasion. Although I sometimes wish I'd chosen a name with a bit more mystery.

CaroGirl
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
For some reason, 60% of the new members immediately think I'm female. I guess it's the cat avatars that does it (i.e., cat avatar=female; dog avatar=male, unless noted otherwise). I know that doesn't answer your question; I just thought I would throw that into the mix as well.

For any of you newbies reading, I'm actually a 6'-3" tall, NFL linebacker-sized guy.
Well, cats are kind of girlie plus "alley" is also a diminutive form of the name Allison. Double whammy of confusion there.

jvc
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM

You're male!

Oh crap. I'm gonna have to stop flirting with you now :D

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Yes, but you're an alleycat which usually is a rough tough male cat so why anyone would think you're a female escapes me.

I'm a sweet little bunny rabbit. But am I male or female???
I had to think about this for a minute. Bunnies are feminine because they're notorious for producing a lot of progeny. :Shrug:

MumblingSage
Hmm...my avi is female, my signature is male (albeit an anime male, but all the same). So my answer would be, 'because I like to look at him and now I can see him in every post!'

That said, my signature pic looks drastically different depending on the width of the screen I'm viewing it on.

Mythical Tiger
I'm hobbes, so I wouldn't know^_^.

~Sam

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Until I started using avies that were actually pictures of me, I always used ones that led people to assume I was a man. *shrug* I chose them because they tickled my funnybone, or just because I liked them, that's all.

:Thumbs: ... Thanks for answering my question. That makes sense. :)

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM

You are? Wow, I thought you were female.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
You're male!

Oh crap. I'm gonna have to stop flirting with you now :D
You mean, our date for this Saturday is off? I'm hurt. I'm going to go home and have a good cry and watch reruns of Sex in the City and eat ice cream until I gain ten pounds.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
You are? Wow, I thought you were female.
I also like to shoot poor little wabbits . . .

CaroGirl
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
You mean, our date for this Saturday is off? I'm hurt. I'm going to go home and have a good cry and watch reruns of Sex in the City and eat ice cream until I gain ten pounds.
The Internet is a weird and confusing place.

James81
03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Chalk another one up to thinking alleycat was a girl.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
You promised me roses and candy, dammit!

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Okay, for my part I was kidding. I knew Alleycat was a guy.

For others, all you have to do is check his profile and it says he's male.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM

I would have thought my insensitivity and lack of manners would have given them a clue . . .

James81
You promised me roses and candy, dammit!

That was back when you said you'd wear that pink dress that you look so good in.

DaddyCat
I'm another big guy who's into cats, but no doubt my ID leaves little room for confusion.

rhymegirl
I also like to shoot poor little wabbits . . .

Yeah. You are a mean old lady, aren't you?

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
That was back when you said you'd wear that pink dress that you look so good in.
I'll still wear the dress. What the hell.

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I would have thought my insensitivity and lack of manners would have given them a clue . . .
:ROFL: ... It worked for me. :)

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I wonder if there is some correlation between the number of animated do-dads in someone's signature and their sex?

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I had to think about this for a minute. Bunnies are feminine because they're notorious for producing a lot of progeny. :Shrug:

Oh, do you mean why do I use a bunny as an avatar?

I just think they're cute.

James81
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Kip----Yesss--napoleon-dynamite-387390_89_120.gif

Susie
03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm a cartoon. I have no say in the matter. :D

Zipotes
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I could certainly see women using pics of sexy guys as their avatar. Actually, I'd assume it's a woman unless it was obviously a self pic.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Kip----Yesss--napoleon-dynamite-387390_89_120.gif
Well, I do have SOME standards.

Mr Flibble
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
When I first came here I assumed everyone was a guy unless it was obvious ( old habit from my time on gaming forums where 95% of posters were guys). It got a bit embarrassing - I learned to check out profiles first.

And I have this Avi cos my Old Man reckons this is me in cartoon form. So kinda female, I guess :D

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I wonder if there is some correlation between the number of animated do-dads in someone's signature and their sex?

Whaddya mean, alleycat?

Like if we don't have an animated do-dad that makes us...what? More male or more female? :)

quickWit
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM

I assumed she was lying.

You know how chicks lie.

:D

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I assumed she was lying.

You know how chicks lie.

Do they? Well, you're a chick, too, so you would know. :)

quickWit
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Do they? Well, you're a chick, too, so you would know. :)

Really, RG! How dare you? :)

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes. :e2file:

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Really, RG! How dare you? :)

Quicky, it's time I told you the truth.

All this time I've misled you. I am really a 6'3" guy just like alleycat.

Wayne K
03-09-2009, 10:04 PM

I've noticed a rather interesting phenomena about avatar selection. If someone is using a what appears to me to be a feminine avi, the probability that the person is female is almost 100%. But, if someone is using what appears to me to be a masculine avi, the probability that the person is male is maybe 60 - 75%. Non-gender specific avis are about equally split.

I am wondering why. If you're female and you're using what most people would consider a masculine avi (eg it's a pic of a man), why did you choose to use it?

I am just curious. I don't want to start an argument. I especially don't want to get into a stupid argument over equality among the sexes. Because that is not where I am coming from.

One of the reasons that I have heard before is that the person was a fan of the male celebrity they were using as an avi. That makes sense to me. So, what's yours. :)
I'm offended and I feel like this is your way of calling me a homosexual
ETA:http://www.jaunted.com/files/7156/gay_pride_angel.jpgmy new avi

lol.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Whaddya mean, alleycat?

Like if we don't have an animated do-dad that makes us...what? More male or more female? :)
Yes.

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm offended and I feel like this is your way of calling me a homosexual.

:ROFL: ... Sorry, there is no doubt in my mind that you prefer women to men. ;)

Chumplet
03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Mine has been a favourite Halloween costume since day one, but today I decided to put the real me up for a while.

Wayne K
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.jaunted.com/files/7156/gay_pride_angel.jpg
:ROFL: ... Sorry, there is no doubt in my mind that you prefer women to men. ;)
I'm bi sexual so I'm offended by that too.

ETA: this guy bears repeating.

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm bi sexual so I'm offended by that too.

:ROFL:

Page two and I've offended somebody. I must be losing my touch. :e2bummed:

selkn.asrai
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm female with a tiger avi--I don't know if it makes a masculine or feminine impression. My ID, however, is unquestionably girlie. So I think it's fairly obvious.

As for heartthrob male celebs as avis, I usually assume that the user is female and that's her crush o' the moment.

qwerty
03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
So what is it about my avi that makes people refer to me as a he?

jvc
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, in that case the date's still on ;)

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
As for heartthrob male celebs as avis, I usually assume that the user is female and that's her crush o' the moment.
I'm finding that to be the most common reason for a female using a male celeb as an avi. It's interesting that men don't tend to do the same thing, use a female celeb for an avi.

Beach Bunny
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
So what is it about my avi that makes people refer to me as a he?
It's not soft and cuddly. It's sharp and sticky. :Shrug:

DamaNegra
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I've a masked ewok as my avi. Does that make me male or female? Anyway, I guess my username makes it pretty clear, even for people who don't speak Spanish. Though I've been confused with a guy before.

smoothseas
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
The Internet is a weird and confusing place.

Quoted for truth...

rhymegirl
03-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm finding that to be the most common reason for a female using a male celeb as an avi. It's interesting that men don't tend to do the same thing, use a female celeb for an avi.

Actually I think a few males have used female avvies.

Nighttimer was using Sade as an avatar.
He has another female right now.

Jersey Chick
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM

Ahh... but you're leaving out the penchant for calling people "sugar britches" ;)

I think my username kinda gives me away anyhow. I've yet to be mistaken for a guy. Though people might wonder about my habit of swearing... I tend to sound like a guy... :D

Devil Ledbetter
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that.

I always wonder what makes women use overtly sexy female images, such as a pinup girl humping a coconut tree (or diving board), a model in a leather corset, coy nude shots, etc. Why? Are we supposed to think that's what they look like?

MaryMumsy
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, that.

I always wonder what makes women use overtly sexy female images, such as a pinup girl humping a coconut tree (or diving board), a model in a leather corset, coy nude shots, etc. Why? Are we supposed to think that's what they look like?

Yes.

And actually, in the same costume, I do tend to look like Mae.

MM

cray
03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
*cough*

quickWit
03-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Gesundheit.

Clair Dickson
03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Well, my hubby likes to use female characters on most of his games. He says if he's going to be staring at the backside of a character for hours, he'd rather it be a view he'll enjoy. =)

I try not to to make any assumptions about people because avatars and user names may or may not give things away. I try to get clues and use ambiguous pronouns if I'm not sure. =)

Interestingly enough, I've had people think that I was male based on my first name. (Okay, technically, it is the masculine version of the name, but it's always a bit shocking to me.) I'm guessing though, that most people consider Clair a female name.

I figure that avs are either something that represents the person or is some pic they enjoy for one reason or another. Mine is both. I wish I had quills in real life.

Beach Bunny
03-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, that.

I can't speak for the others, only myself. I choose my avi based on an aspect of my personality or the mood that I am in. It is a visual representation of me. No, I don't look like that on the outside. I look like that on the inside.

From dictionary reference dot com the two pertinent definitions of avatar:
2.an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life.3.Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.

quickWit
03-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah...that 'I look like that on the inside' thing...

that's me. :)

Rarri
03-10-2009, 01:16 AM

Oh hell! Surely Calvin and Hobbes can't be considered masculine...?

Perks
03-10-2009, 01:21 AM
I was thought to be a guy for ages. I have no idea why. That purplish star-thingy is metrosexual on the masculine end of the spectrum, I think.

But, that's what I get for thinking.

Pagey's_Girl
03-10-2009, 01:24 AM
"Got a crush on the guy in my avi." Yup, that's me. :)

My username is obviously feminine, though. I've noticed that I always seem to end up picking feminine usernames. The closest one to genderless is on another board where I'm "StarSparrow."

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 01:24 AM
I was thought to be a guy for ages. I have no idea why. That purplish star-thingy is metrosexual on the masculine end of the spectrum, I think.

But, that's what I get for thinking.

Yeah, but your username is kinda female, don't ya think?

sassandgroove
03-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm female with a tiger avi--I don't know if it makes a masculine or feminine impression. My ID, however, is unquestionably girlie. So I think it's fairly obvious.

As for heartthrob male celebs as avis, I usually assume that the user is female and that's her crush o' the moment.sorry Selkn, it might be obvious to you, but it sure isn't to me. I don't know what your username is referring to. I thought maybe it was a name or something.

---

I love my dog so I chose her. My other favorite avatar is me in a sombrero at my birthday party a few years ago.

One time - while using that avatar - someone referred to me as him/he. I laughed. I asked him if he thought i was a sassy guy in that avatar, and he said he didn't assume that was me (?).

I feel my avatar is to represent me, so I tend to avoid crushes for avatars. I don't want to be defined by my crush. I did have a Def Leppard avi last summer right before I went to see their show. But someone had insulted them and I had to represent!

Silver King
03-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Mine is so obviously phallic that no one ever questions my gender. That, and there's the King portion of my username that helps.

(When I first joined, my dear friend Maryn mistook tarpon for tampon when I explained what the username signified. I still laugh over that one.)

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/images/Nuke2.JPG

If we go for mood avi's, this is today.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Mine is so obviously phallic that no one ever questions my gender. .)
I love the Water Penis.

Alan Yee
03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Since I use my real name, I've never really had anyone mistake me for a female, not even when I had a Paris Hilton avatar for April Fool's Day and a few weeks after that.

Perks
03-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah, but your username is kinda female, don't ya think?I would think so. I was surprised by everyone's surprise.

FennelGiraffe
03-10-2009, 02:40 AM
sorry Selkn, it might be obvious to you, but it sure isn't to me. I don't know what your username is referring to. I thought maybe it was a name or something.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one. That swooshing sound you hear is the reference flying right past me.

dgrintalis
03-10-2009, 02:40 AM
I have a pic of myself as my avatar, since my user name is ambiguous.

Silver King
03-10-2009, 02:42 AM
I love the Water Penis.
So do I, except I didn't realize its significance until a number of people commented about its phallic nature, which came as a surprise. It seems the image has layered meanings and Freudian subtexts that only scholars can decipher. But to me, it's just a shot I took of a fish jumping.

The cyber world can be so complicated at times.

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 02:42 AM
I would think so. I was surprised by everyone's surprise.

Perks kinda sounds like one of those uplifting kind of bras.

alleycat
03-10-2009, 02:43 AM
I did have a picture of my butt as my avatar one time . . .

And two offers for a date! ;-)

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 02:45 AM
I did have a picture of my butt as my avatar one time . . .

And two offers for a date! ;-)

Put it back up so we can see. You're such a tease.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-10-2009, 02:47 AM
I've been everything from Maxine to my current femme fatale to prairie dogs inside water globes or wearing turkey feathers.

Anyone who gets too tweeked over an avatar - either their own or someone else's - has more serious issues than we're here to address.

cray
03-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Anyone who gets too tweeked over an avatar - either their own or someone else's - has more serious issues than we're here to address.

*seeks profession help*

Silver King
03-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Anyone who gets too tweeked over an avatar...
Um, Jen, I'm infatuated with your lady in red. Just thought you should know. I've dreamt about her and even given her a name. I call her, Carolyn. Sweet, sweet Carolyn...

Jersey Chick
03-10-2009, 03:13 AM
TMI!!! TMI!!!

I think SK has - ahem - issues :D

I change my avatar for certain holidays - I'm Heat Miser at Christmas, and Charlie Brown getting a rock at Halloween. I end up different - um - creatures when certain mods who shall remain nameless (why yes RT, I am talking about you) decide to have a little fun with me.

And then there's April 1st. I never know who I am on April 1st....

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Um, Jen, I'm infatuated with your lady in red. Just thought you should know. I've dreamt about her and even given her a name. I call her, Carolyn. Sweet, sweet Carolyn...

Sweet? You call her 'sweet'?!

Man.

I'm no writer at all.

jvc
03-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Apart from a short stint with, well let's just say 'something' else (thanks to Mac), I've had a dragon avatar since I joined. This current one coming up to two years now.

Angie
03-10-2009, 03:33 AM
My avis are generally whatever amuses me at the time.

But you already knew that. :D

Perks
03-10-2009, 04:00 AM
I'm so totally changing my screen name.

Angie
03-10-2009, 04:01 AM

I would say maybe you should change your av instead, but that might get you in trouble. :ROFL:

Chumplet
03-10-2009, 04:05 AM
When I chose the user name Chumplet, I had no idea the word actually existed. It seems female to me, but there's a male poker player somewhere on the 'net with the same name. I think I Google bumped him to page 100 or thereabouts.

Perks
03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
I would say maybe you should change your av instead, but that might get you in trouble. :ROFL:I'm so sad, because when I picked the name, I was thinking about all the fringe benefits of doing something I loved, but mostly it's either connoted to my general disposition or my breasts.

Oi.

Pagey's_Girl
03-10-2009, 04:18 AM
My current avatar took about 25 tries of restarting the video on my 'puter to get the sceencap. That shot of Jamie in front of the wind turbines is only about a tenth of a second long.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 04:25 AM

This thread should have been closed with this.

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 04:26 AM

Sorry, Perks.

I guess your username could also mean "I'm a coffee lover!"

Perks
03-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Why is that lumpy angel wearing a diaper?

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Why is that lumpy angel wearing a diaper?
He cupid.

rhymegirl
03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
He cupid.

I thought you were making that angel your avatar?

Tepelus
03-10-2009, 05:49 AM
I like dragons.

Silver King
03-10-2009, 06:03 AM

This thread should have been closed with this.
That's easy for you to say. Just think of the fallout I'd have to endure by such an act:

So, SK, you jealous or what?

But he's an angel, SK, sent straight from heaven, you freaking heathen a-hole.

And on and on...

Cranky
03-10-2009, 06:16 AM
So do I, except I didn't realize its significance until a number of people commented about its phallic nature, which came as a surprise. It seems the image has layered meanings and Freudian subtexts that only scholars can decipher. But to me, it's just a shot I took of a fish jumping.

The cyber world can be so complicated at times.

I feel sorta stupid for not picking up on the Freudian subtextual phallicness of that fishy avatar.

Cranky
03-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Ahh... but you're leaving out the penchant for calling people "sugar britches" ;)

Heh. Now that you mention it, I realize it's been far too long since I sexually harassed someone on here. :roll:

*smooch*

Thanks, sweetcheeks!

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Mine is so obviously phallic that no one ever questions my gender.
Hmm. I thought you were female and the fish meant ... uh ... nevermind.

Jersey Chick
03-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Heh. Now that you mention it, I realize it's been far too long since I sexually harassed someone on here. :roll:

*smooch*

Thanks, sweetcheeks!
SEE?!?!?

:ROFL:

Just kidding - :D

Cranky
03-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Hey, you've got a Huge Ackman avatar, so all's still right with the world, ain't it? *giggles*

KTC
03-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I am the I am

DL Hegel
03-10-2009, 09:43 AM

ETA: this guy bears repeating.

If this is the thread where we vote on this being Wayne's new avie---I say yes.
Yep---this is the one---yes!

What was the question?

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
If this is the thread where we vote on this being Wayne's new avie---I say yes.
Yep---this is the one---yes!

What was the question?
The question was "Do I look old in this picture?"

DL Hegel
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
The question was "Do I look old in this picture?"

Old enough---if that's what you mean?

Nope---not old.

Considers stalking Wayne;)

Wayne K
03-11-2009, 01:36 AM
"Considers being stalked"