PDA

View Full Version : Five traits a guy should have before you get serious...

James81
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I assume this is the right forum for this. It just popped up into Yahoo.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/relationships/24236/dating-101-five-traits-a-guy-should-have-before-you-get-serious

Dating Trait #1: He Knows What He Wants
Any guy you're serious about should be able to articulate his long-term goals and passions (sorry, fantasy football and Xbox don't count). He can't ally himself with you until he has a sense of how he envisions his life in the future... and how you fit in. "If a man has no idea what he wants to be when he 'grows up,' then it will be impossible for him to commit to you," says Dobransky.
Don't assume he'll work things out, because when he does, you may realize his ambitions don't mesh with yours. "This mistake has contributed to the starter-marriage phenomenon, in which couples in their 20s and 30s suddenly realize they're going in different directions and divorce at an early age," says Dobransky. "It's preventable as long as you're both clear about your plans."

Dating Trait #2: He Has a Sunny Outlook
A recent study led by the University of Oregon found that women who had upbeat partners felt more satisfied in their relationships and -- this is huge -- that the man's level of optimism determined the relationship's staying power. Not only is it nice to have someone help you see the silver lining of a situation that totally sucks, but cheerful guys are good at keeping things in perspective, so they don't let little conflicts get to them and can go with the flow.
Along with having an optimistic POV, it's also crucial that the guy you're seeing can make you laugh. "It's an important stress valve for any couple," says Les Parrott, PhD, coauthor of "Trading Places."
"Having a sense of humor helps you weather the rough patches that you'll inevitably encounter together." It shows that he is able to let loose and doesn't take things too seriously. Plus, you'll have a better time together if you can see the funny side of things.

Dating Trait #3: He's Open to Changing for You
It's true you may not be able to change a man, but a guy should want to change for you. If a facet of his behavior irks you (for example, maybe he's not attentive enough in certain circumstances), he should be game to hear you out, listen to how you'd like him to do things differently, and then act on those suggestions. "When a guy is truly in love, he is more self-reflective and will work on the aspects of himself that bother you," says Diana Kirschner, PhD, author of "Love in 90 Days." "Studies have found that successful married couples change each other quite a bit over time."
More important, a man needs to have the capacity to transform and grow with you -- e.g., he takes an interest in going to art galleries with you, even if he's more of a couch-and-ESPN kind of guy. "If he's not willing to expand his interests to mesh with yours, you're going to outpace him," explains Kirschner. "It's likely you'll grow restless, and the relationship will become stale."

Dating Trait #4: He's Still a Little Mysterious
The beginning of a relationship is always exciting because you're just getting to know each other. But even after the newness wears off, it's essential that a man keeps you guessing. "If you can never quite pin down what makes him tick, that's actually a healthy thing," says Kirschner. Although at first you might feel more bonded to a guy who shares tons of personal info with you, over time, you risk losing the intrigue that pulled you to him initially. You might start to see him as more of a friend than a romantic partner.
Of course, you want him to open up about topics like his family, but he should keep some boundaries too. Relating every detail of his life (think updates on his nasty toe fungus) is relationship-killing TMI. A good gauge in the early stages of coupledom: He doesn't spill all about his pals. "It's an indicator that he understands how to keep things private," says Kirschner.

Dating Trait #5: He's Responsible with Money
Besides giving you a heads-up about money-related conflicts you might encounter in the future (one of the topics long-term couples argue about most), how a guy handles cash reveals a lot about his character. Positive signs: He keeps the receipt after paying for a meal, or you notice several credit-card offers in his stack of mail (it may indicate he has good credit).
"A man who doesn't track his money shows a lack of patience and self-control," says Dobransky. "In fact, guys who are financially reckless share many traits with men who cheat." But you also don't want to be with a tightwad. If a dude doesn't splurge now and then, it may mean he'll be stingy in other ways, such as compromising during a fight.

What do you think?

I think number 3 is a bunch of crap, but the other 4 sound reasonable enough I guess.

alleycat
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I think people lie on quizzes about love and sex, relationships and marriage. They put down the "correct" answer.

"No, I don't care what a guy looks like as long as he has a sense of humor," said Nancy R. from Toledo, Ohio.

"Hot damn," replied Larry the Cable Guy.

Thump
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I disagree with you re: number 3. I don't think the article means that only the guy should change and change completely.

Both partners have to be open about changing bits of themselves to better fit together into a couple rather than two individuals who spend an inordinate amount of time together. A guy should be willing to change and adapt for the woman he loves just as a woman should for her man. This doesn't mean changing huge, personality-defining aspects of yourself, just some little things.

For example, I feel like my BF is not affectionate enough. I told him so and he hasn't changed much. This has changed the way I feel about him. Conversely, he's asked me to be less physical, and I have, which also has altered the way I relate to him. He's not meeting me in the middle as I'm doing the changing myself for him and he is not changing for me. See the tension?

I don't think this relationship has much of a future, hmm...

Cranky
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I dunno, alley. Mr. Cranky has all those traits and then some. Though I will say that if #3 is important to someone, they'd best be willing to work on themselves instead of expecting only their partner to "change".

James81
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
For example, I feel like my BF is not affectionate enough. I told him so and he hasn't changed much. This has changed the way I feel about him. Conversely, he's asked me to be less physical, and I have, which also has altered the way I relate to him. He's not meeting me in the middle as I'm doing the changing myself for him and he is not changing for me. See the tension?

I would argue that that is a case on incompatibility.

Gravity
03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Dang, based on the above, I'm "practically perfect in every way." Sorry, ladies, I'm spoken for..:D

ColoradoGuy
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I think this one makes more sense in office party, rather than politics.

Zipotes
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't know, I have my own 'top traits'. Mysterious wouldn't be high on my list either. Only in fiction.

Mel
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
A person should only change when and because they want to, not because someone else wants them to change. Help each other, yes, if that's the case, which it was with my husband and myself.

Oh, come on, if you can't share details of toe fungus then what can you share? ;) Sorry, guess we've been married so long there isn't much my husband and I don't know about each other. I'm not fond of mystery in another person and neither is he.

Gravity
03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Mmmmmm....toe fungus....

regdog
03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
The seem to have forgotten a really big one-SINGLE

selkn.asrai
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Not sure I agree on no. 4--I don't feel anything less for my boyfriend because I know him so well--and maybe they're talking about TMI early in the relationship, but if he told me he had a toe fungus, I wouldn't be grossed out. I'd tell him he should go to the doctor if it gets bad. I'm all about honesty and openness in the relationship, and so is he. As Quince says in Meet Joe Black, you're free to love each other completely and totally with no fear because you know everything about one another.

I'm not sure I understand the aversion to a romantic partner being looked at as a friend either. But maybe they mean "instead of" more than "along with."

Williebee
03-09-2009, 11:38 PM
and breathing.

selkn.asrai
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, yes. Breathing is essential.

Wayne K
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm none of these things.

Line forms to the right.

Toothpaste
03-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah not a fan of #3 either. I mean reading it I guess they are talking about it being mutual, that as you get to know someone, you have to evolve together, grow, compromise etc. But I worry about #3 being read as, "Once he's in the relationship then you can make him the guy you want him to be." Because I know a lot of women who have that opinion, and it is so very very wrong.

So yeah, nothing wrong with #3 I guess as it is written here, but a very dangerous point to make considering how many women already view the subject.

Inky
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
and breathing.
I find this to be debatable.

A man with a pillow over his mouth, for a good number of minutes, is very open-minded to change.

just sayin'...

Bubastes
03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
So yeah, nothing wrong with #3 I guess as it is written here, but a very dangerous point to make considering how many women already view the subject.

Considering that this article was written for Cosmo, you have a good point.

Siddow
03-10-2009, 12:43 AM
See, I could do without #2. I'd have to smack the smile off of Mr. Sunshine's face the first time he greeted one of my 'moods' with a cry of "Let's turn that frown upside down!"

I am suspicious of people who are always upbeat.

KTC
03-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Dating Trait #1: She Knows What YOU Want
Dating Trait #2: She Has a Sunny Vacation Property
Dating Trait #3: She's Open to Changing for You
Dating Trait #4: She's Open to being the Little Mrs.
Dating Trait #5: She's independently Wealthy and willing to share the wealth

This is OP.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Dating Trait #1: She Knows What YOU Want
Dating Trait #2: She Has a Sunny Vacation Property
Dating Trait #3: She's Open to Changing for You
Dating Trait #4: She's Open to being the Little Mrs.
Dating Trait #5: She's independently Wealthy and willing to share the wealth

This is OP.
QFT.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 01:01 AM
See, I could do without #2. I'd have to smack the smile off of Mr. Sunshine's face the first time he greeted one of my 'moods' with a cry of "Let's turn that frown upside down!"

I am suspicious of people who are always upbeat.
My friend's wife looked at him once and said "I'm getting a little f***ing tired of your happiness."

Inky
03-10-2009, 01:32 AM
I only require that he: Always be in The Mood.

Ah, you think I have debauchery on the mind.
Not so.

He must be in The Mood to walk silently as I shop.
Do NOT tell me 'you don't need that', or I will buy alllll they have in stock.
He must be in The Mood to whip out the Mastercard.
He must be in The Mood to enjoy whatever the bloody hell I decided to make for dinner.

come to think on it...this list could get rather long...:e2file:

Pagey's_Girl
03-10-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure about #4. There's a fine line between "Being a little mysterious" and "Being a little mysterious about the fact that he's banging Bambi Bimbolina and her twin sister on the side while making you think he's off with his pals." Speaking from experience on this one....

ETA - I don't think I'd want a guy to go shopping with me unless I needed him there to try on stuff. I'm with the big jungle cats on this one. I hunt alone...

TerzaRima
03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
"I'm getting a little f***ing tired of your happiness."

YAY

This is from Cosmo? Ah, that explains it. I'd like to publish my own women's magazine, but it would be a distilled, to-the-point version, for women who don't need things spelled out for them. That list, for example, would go as follows:

Dating Trait #1: He's not a douchebag.

Dating Traits #2-5: See Dating Trait #1.

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd toss all those qualities for a drunken sailor who would be loyal to me....ok two.
ETA: I'd also like to have the dating history of the person who wrote this. I'm tired of taking "advice"

KikiteNeko
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I think #1 is a myth. Also, I wouldn't want a guy with #3 trait.

James81
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I think #1 is a myth.

I think you're wrong about that one. I could tell you exactly who I am and what I want right now if I wanted to. :)

Soccer Mom
03-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I think 1, 2, &5 are dead on. 3 & 4? Not so much. Instead of willing to change, as long as someone is willing to compromise with me on certain things, that's a win.

When I started dating Soccer Dad, he would worry a lot because I didn't call him and check in regularly. It wasn't a control thing; He's just a worrier. So I compromised with him. I would check in more regularly and he would back off a bit with the fretting. I'd say (17 years later) that it worked out okay.

But if you go in thinking that the other person needs to change? Defininately not time to get serious.

And mysterious? WTF? Why do I want a man to be mysterious? I don't date super spies. That is just more of the foolishness that keeps women from finding long-term happiness.

Bravo
03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't date super spies.

:(

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
And mysterious? WTF? Why do I want a man to be mysterious? I don't date super spies. That is just more of the foolishness that keeps women from finding long-term happiness."Mysterious" is a euphemism for secretive, and secretivenes is just another facet of dishonesty.

Around the time I was divorcing my first husband, my code name for him was "secret squirrel."

James81
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
"Mysterious" is a euphemism for secretive, and secretivenes is just another facet of dishonesty.

Around the time I was divorcing my first husband, my code name for him was "secret squirrel."

In my experience, the more mysterious I've been, the more "success" I've had with women.

When I take the "balls to walls, straight up, honest and upfront, no secrets" approach, it doesn't fair very well.

But you can be mysterious without being secretive. I mean, you can know everything about someone, but still not understand WHY they do the things they do. Perhaps that's what the article is suggesting.

Sweetleaf
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow. My husband has none of these.

Still, we've been together 9 years so far, and these are my reasons why.

1. Sometimes he knows what he wants. I tell him what he's allowed.

2. I ignore his moods, the miserable old bastard.

3. I wouldn't even go there. Even I know a lost cause when I see it.

4. The only mysterious thing about him is the contents of his garage (sorry, man cave). I try not to go in there.

5. He is in no way, shape, or form, allowed any responsibility for our money.

Carole
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I've always thought that if a guy were "perfect" I'd be bored.

DL Hegel
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
"Mysterious" is a euphemism for secretive, and secretivenes is just another facet of dishonesty.
true in most cases---some folks are secretive because they have trust issues---which can be just as bad in it's own way.

Around the time I was divorcing my first
husband, my code name for him was "secret squirrel."

:roll:

I had little names for my ex-fiancÚ but none I care to share;)

Seaclusion
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I think there are three sets of traits that women have for dating.

Set #1 is the Cosmo unrealistic set of traits that sells magazines. Those are in the OP

Set #2 is the realistic desirable traits that everyone wants.

#1 He has made a carreer plan and is attempting to fulfil it
#2 He is mostly optomistic about things
#3 He will try to accomodate you when you reciprocate and accomodate him
#4 He hasn't told you everything about himself because there are some things you're better of not knowing
#5 He can put gas in his car when it's on empty and there aren't a whole bunch of yellow past due envelopes in his mailbox

Set #3 is the set of traits that most women settle for and complain about for their entire lives. They may not be bad or dispicable traits. Just not very desireable.

#1 He's had 16 different jobs but at least he has held the last one for more than three months
#2 He's not the cheeriest guy in the room but at least he's not on prozac
#3 He will at least finally put some pants on when your mother comes to visit
#4 To spare your feelings he hasn't mentioned the cocktail waitress from last weekend or the supply room jaunt 2 months ago with that blond coworker
#5 Guido the shark doesn't come around the house anymore looking to collect the vig

Richard

DL Hegel
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm confused is it list 2 or 3---that is the good one?

Seaclusion
03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm confused is it list 2 or 3---that is the good one?

Your choice.

Richard

Wayne K
03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I've always thought that if a guy were "perfect" I'd be bored.
Then you would love me.

Inky
03-10-2009, 11:54 PM
As long as he isn't asking me to pull his finger, we're good.
Sofar, Mr. Inky, in 20 years, hasn't made that mistake.
The first time he does, I'm taking a meat cleaver to it--the finger, you freaks!

Actually, I didn't want to meet him, and he didn't want to meet me.
I already had a kid, what the hell did I need a man for?

Eight weeks later, and loads of pressure from friends, we agreed to meet simply to shut everyone up.

We were married 3 months later.

Why has it worked?

I handle the money/bills.
He's secure enough within himself that my independent nature doesn't threaten him.
I like all his flaws. It keeps him human.
He endures chick flicks...even though he knows that I know, it's only so he'll get lucky.
And he didn't laugh when I said I wanted to be a writer.
He packed up the dining room and said: 'Here's your office.'

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 12:03 AM
It sucks to be the perfect guy (and boring) but I guess I'll be fine with that.

On a serious note (not that I'm not completely serious about being the perfect man), I think these pointers are generalization and just silly. Still they illustrate a few key issues... the three Cs:

- confidence (knows what he wants and has a sunny outlook on life) - women do tend to like men who are confident and sure of themselves instead of a cry baby

- compromise - women tend to hate men who are control freaks

- common sense - the whole thing about money is just a metaphor for intelligence and responsibility. I don't think a man needs to be a financial wizard or knows how to balance his checkbooks (some women prefer to handle the checkbook for him :) ) but the guy should be smart and responsible enough so he's not blowing $14000 on a HDTV and $800 on video games while taking her out to McDonalds for a special night out.

James81
03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
It sucks to be the perfect guy (and boring) but I guess I'll be fine with that.

On a serious note (not that I'm not completely serious about being the perfect man), I think these pointers are generalization and just silly. Still they illustrates a few key issues... the three Cs:

- confidence (knows what he wants and has a sunny outlook on life) - women do tend to like men who are confident and sure of themselves instead of a cry baby

- compromise - women tend to hate men who are control freaks

- common sense - the whole thing about money is just a metaphor for intelligence and responsibility. I don't think a man needs to be a financial wizard or knows how to balance his checkbooks (some women prefer to handle the checkbook for him :) ) but the guy should be smart and responsible enough so he's not blowing $14000 on a HDTV and $800 on video games while taking her out to McDonalds for a special night out.

Heh, I actually have a different set of "three C's" that I secretly suspect that women like about men:

Confidence: Knows what he wants, who he is, and isn't afraid to get what he doesn't have but wants.

Character: Knows what he likes, has his own "world" of sorts that is interesting to her.

Charisma: Is a generally likeable person, or at least know HOW to be "sweet" at times, "funny" at others, etc.

And I think at the core, most women want a guy who knows how to treat them like a princess, but also isn't afraid to stand up to them.

I just pulled those out of my ass though. Don't mind me.

Inky
03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
And what's wrong with a Happy Meal??? :ROFL:

ETA:...er...what Maestro said, not the pulling out of your ass part, James....sorry...ye' ken?

vire
03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
you can never know a man well enough with all this theories because we bring out this even we can not understand when it is called for

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
And I think at the core, most women want a guy who knows how to treat them like a princess,.

Eh, no. I stay clear from women who want to be treated like a princess. Nothing wrong with them... just not for me. I want someone who can hang with the guys and can beat me up if they want to. Not that I don't like women who want to be respected and loved and cuddled and romanced... that's all fine. But I don't expect them to treat me like a prince, so please don't expect me to treat her like a princess. You're not 6 anymore.

Cranky
03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Different strokes, for sure. As I said, my hubby has all these traits, and I think he's a pretty awesome dude. Not unrealistic at all from my POV.

And we've been together for ten years, so it's not like I don't know him or anything. We've been through some really trying times together.

Anyways, I guess that while yes, it's a generalization, it can still hold true for some, and it does for me and Mr. Cranky.

Joe270
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
What, nothing about belching, farting, and snoring?

DL Hegel
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM

you forgot belly scratching:)

Joe270
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
you forgot belly scratching

Yes, but scratching your belly or (deleted) or (deleted) doesn't make noise.

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, but scratching your belly or (deleted) or (deleted) doesn't make noise.

Yes it does. You've been doing it wrong.

Please leave your man card at the door. Buh-bye.

Inky
03-11-2009, 01:36 PM

*snatches up man card...claws air at gathering females-in-heat...runs off to Cabaret....staples card to bucket list...checks man-net...saunters back out of Funneh Club...resumes AW hunt...*

thethinker42
03-11-2009, 01:43 PM
What do you think?

I think number 3 is a bunch of crap, but the other 4 sound reasonable enough I guess.

My take on #3 is that she has it backwards: It's not that the man should be open to changing for her, she should be open to him changing. PERIOD. I swear, half the women I know are pissed that their husbands are completely different now, the other half are pissed that their husbands are exactly the same. A man may not have the same interests, goals, beliefs, or underwear in 10, 15, or 35 years. My husband and I have been together for 7 years, married for 6, and we've both changed a lot during that time. We expected as much, and we go with it. People change.

I'm okay with spouses expecting each other to at least show SOME interest in each other's activities, interests, etc., but I have noticed that's often one-sided. A wife will drag her husband to the symphony, but she'll never go with him to a car race or a monster truck rally.

As with everything in a relationship, it's all about balance, communication, and having realistic expectations. One of those expectations should be that your partner is not static.

thethinker42
03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I'd toss all those qualities for a drunken sailor who would be loyal to me....ok two.

*married to a loyal, sometimes-drunken sailor* :D

And he didn't laugh when I said I wanted to be a writer.
He packed up the dining room and said: 'Here's your office.'

Ahhhh!!! A real winner. :D Good for him.

Heh, I actually have a different set of "three C's" that I secretly suspect that women like about men

There's only one "C" I'm concerned about...

Well, my husband and I both belch like fratboys, so I guess we're a match made in heaven.

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
One of those expectations should be that your partner is not static.

If he is your likely to get a huge shock.

Richard

Sweetleaf
03-11-2009, 09:56 PM
And I think at the core, most women want a guy who knows how to treat them like a princess, but also isn't afraid to stand up to them.

I've been out with guys that have treated me like a princess. IT DROVE ME INSANE!

Maybe I'm just really independent and resent any kind of assistance or pampering (I do like to pamper myself though) or maybe I'm just a masochist, but to me, being treated like a princess is like being treated like I'm stupid.

I think most women would rather be treated as an equal. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring flowers occasionaly for no reason. We like that.

brokenfingers
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I can't believe "Remain Sober" wasn't on the list. Women are easier to please than I thought, I guess.

James81
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been out with guys that have treated me like a princess. IT DROVE ME INSANE!

Maybe I'm just really independent and resent any kind of assistance or pampering (I do like to pamper myself though) or maybe I'm just a masochist, but to me, being treated like a princess is like being treated like I'm stupid.

I think most women would rather be treated as an equal. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring flowers occasionaly for no reason. We like that.

Well, "princess" is a little over the top to use.

Plus, most guys who treat girls like "princesses" don't get the second half of my statment (not being afraid to stand up to her) right. A guy who treats a girl like some sort of princess typically won't stand up to her. That is what is annoying.

I guess what I'm saying, on a more realistic level, is that a guy know how to treat a girl right, but also demand the same in return (to be treated right).

Whatever "right" is to you.

rhymegirl
03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
You're not 6 anymore.

Am too! *stamps foot* :D

Oh, are those supposed to be part of the traits a guy should have before getting serious?

Well, then my husband has those covered.

TerzaRima
03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I stay clear from women who want to be treated like a princess.

I think in general this is a good practice. There's a type of woman who expects to be cosseted and provided for--the kind who pouts when her engagement ring isn't flashy enough, stuff like that. I don't get why men tend not to pick up on the Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! of somebody like this, but I'm not a man.

Wayne K
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't believe "Remain Sober" wasn't on the list. .
Let's not get crazy now.

James81
03-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I think in general this is a good practice. There's a type of woman who expects to be cosseted and provided for--the kind who pouts when her engagement ring isn't flashy enough, stuff like that. I don't get why men tend not to pick up on the Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! of somebody like this, but I'm not a man.

lol one of these days I'll finally remember that when I am posting here I need to really watch what phrases I use because my points get lost on one or two words that get picked away and taken out of context within the point I'm making.

That only happens to me here, though. I suppose it's because we're all writers and we are more careful with the words we use to describe stuff.

jennifer75
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I assume this is the right forum for this. It just popped up into Yahoo.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/relationships/24236/dating-101-five-traits-a-guy-should-have-before-you-get-serious

What do you think?

#3 contradicts with #1. Know what you want, but change if I don't like it. Huh?

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
#3 contradicts with #1. Know what you want, but change if I don't like it. Huh?

I didn't know these traits were supposed to be rational.

Richard

Joe270
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Oh, man, how can I get it back? Fart more? I can't snore any louder, the house might fall down around me. Wait, I say excuse me when I belch, (even when I'm alone, it's an odd habit), perhaps I can stop saying that, at least when I'm alone.

Well, my husband and I both belch like fratboys, so I guess we're a match made in heaven.

Nah, that happens after you're married. I think it was Richard Pryor who had a comedy bit about 'women really have to love you to fart in your presence'. When I was in college, a friend in a quite inebriated state, put forth a theory that women's breasts came from holding in farts. It was a quite elaborate theory.

brokenfingers
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
For you women out there, I present to you my own Five Things Before You Get Married/Serious list.

He should:

Like you better than his buddies

Like you better than his hobbies

Like you better than his habits

Like you better than his mom

Like you at least as much as himself.

Seaclusion
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Wait, I say excuse me when I belch, (even when I'm alone, it's an odd habit), perhaps I can stop saying that, at least when I'm alone.

Sounds pavlovian to me. Do you belch when someone else says 'excuse me'?

Inky
03-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I think Broken's onto something...I'm especially fond of #4. I dated a momma's-boy. I think I'd rather shovel shit for a living, regardless if they were first fed curry, than EVAH experience the momma's-boy nightmare again!

Joe270
03-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Broken seems to be on the right path, at least.

He should like you more than his car.

rhymegirl
03-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Hmm. When I met my husband he had a nice little sports car. He loved that car.

He had to sell it when we had our first child since there was no back seat.

He says when I write a best seller, he wants me to buy him another sports car.

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
I can't believe "Remain Sober" wasn't on the list. Women are easier to please than I thought, I guess.

For you, it's probably more like "remain conscious."

maestrowork
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Broken seems to be on the right path, at least.

He should like you more than his hair.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/juice/images/2007/11/07/fabio.jpg

Inky
03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Not Fake-Fabio!!!
*runs screaming from thread*

NeuroFizz
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
He should like you more than his hair.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/juice/images/2007/11/07/fabio.jpg
Is he lactating or something?

Sweetleaf
03-12-2009, 03:48 AM
I think in general this is a good practice. There's a type of woman who expects to be cosseted and provided for--the kind who pouts when her engagement ring isn't flashy enough.

Before children I was a Banking Consultant and I once had a young guy come in to see me wanting a loan for $12,000. When I asked him what it was for he said an engagement ring.

Obviously, I asked him why he needed to spend $12k he didn't have on a ring (I had recently got engaged and mine cost $50. We were saving for a house.) and he said 'Because she won't accept anything less.'

I told him he better work hard, because when you set that standard, she's going to expect that for the rest of your life.

Talk about making a rod for your own back...

maestrowork
03-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Is he lactating or something?

Once a breast man, always a breast man, Fizzyboy.

Wayne K
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I really need to write a book about relationships...

Joe270
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I really need to write a book about relationships...

I hope that works out better for you than my foray into those kinds of books. My title:

"My Readers Are Just Not That Into My Writing".

The idea got stolen by another author who has had some limited success with it. I'm not bitter, or homicidally insane.

Inky
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
:ROFL:
loon!
:ROFL: